advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Great Pacific Garbage Patch Solution?
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: December 21, 2019 02:08PM
I don't recall seeing anything about this on here, and to me at least this is huge news:

Boyan Slat's System is Successfully Catching Plastic | Joe Rogan- [www.youtube.com]

Full Interview- Joe Rogan Experience #1402 - Boyan Slat- [www.youtube.com]

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

What's my "Super Power"? I can make active threads go stone-dead with a single post. I try to use this power only for good and not for evil but, you know... stuff happens.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Great Pacific Garbage Patch Solution?
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 21, 2019 02:38PM
I hope they monitor it closely, there is a possibility it can harm sea life.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: December 21, 2019 02:41PM
Don't believe everything you hear/see from Joe Rogan.

By all accounts, it's doing squat. He's celebrating his device picking up about one millionth of what he'd initially predicted and in the process, the thing broke repeatedly.

Seems that some people desperately want to believe in solutions like this, but it doesn't address the source of the pollution, at best it only picks up some stuff from the top of the water-column, his design ends up "regurgitating" about a third of what it picks up, it doesn't pick up deadly microplastics, and it can disrupt already endangered wildlife.

Meanwhile, latest news is that we've underestimated the amount of plastic in our RIVERS by several factors. They're far from perfect, but trash wheels that intercept plastics before they make it out to sea seem to be a more effective solution than the Slat device.

People WANT to believe in it because it would absolve us of responsibility for cleaning up our own mess. But we need to take this on at the source by eliminating plastic waste in commerce. The most promising way to do that is adopting degradable plastic-alternatives using soy or fungus sources.

Posted by: M A V I C
Date: December 21, 2019 03:03PM
Sarcany

By all accounts, it's doing squat. He's celebrating his device picking up about one millionth of what he'd initially predicted and in the process, the thing broke repeatedly.

Seems that some people desperately want to believe in solutions like this, but it doesn't address the source of the pollution, at best it only picks up some stuff from the top of the water-column, his design ends up "regurgitating" about a third of what it picks up, it doesn't pick up deadly microplastics, and it can disrupt already endangered wildlife.

Meanwhile, latest news is that we've underestimated the amount of plastic in our RIVERS by several factors. They're far from perfect, but trash wheels that intercept plastics before they make it out to sea seem to be a more effective solution than the Slat device.

People WANT to believe in it because it would absolve us of responsibility for cleaning up our own mess. But we need to take this on at the source by eliminating plastic waste in commerce. The most promising way to do that is adopting degradable plastic-alternatives using soy or fungus sources.

Greta has done so much more, hasn't she?

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: December 21, 2019 03:19PM
Sarcany

I'm guessing you didn't bother to watch the linked video because Mr. Slat addresses the issues of initial effectiveness problems with the system, river pollution, and microplastic collection quite directly.

M A V I C
Greta has done so much more, hasn't she?

Yep, shouting in a petulant, entitled, and over-dramatic manner at other people that they need to do something about a problem is so much more effective than actually getting your hands dirty and putting forth genuine effort to make a tangible difference in the problem yourself.

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

What's my "Super Power"? I can make active threads go stone-dead with a single post. I try to use this power only for good and not for evil but, you know... stuff happens.
Posted by: vision63
Date: December 21, 2019 03:45PM
It's a good video guys. Very clever implementation.
Date: December 21, 2019 05:11PM
Thrift Store Scott
Sarcany

I'm guessing you didn't bother to watch the linked video because Mr. Slat addresses the issues of initial effectiveness problems with the system, river pollution, and microplastic collection quite directly.

Did, and he doesn't really. And the stats he cites about polluted rivers are not real-world numbers. He seems to be making it up or pulling it from deceitful marketing materials.

Scientists from all over the world have chimed in to explain why this won't work. The little plastic he's collected at a cost of tens of millions of dollars has gone to landfill, which isn't a solution. He talks about recycling it, but since he started this in 2013 he hasn't made anything from it and has no plans to do so.

Seriously: He's asking Joe Rogan for ideas about what to make from recycled plastic. The dude thinks like an underwear gnome.

At best he's a well-meaning fool, but most likely he's just another con artist.

Date: December 21, 2019 05:17PM
Sarcany
Thrift Store Scott
Sarcany

Did, and he doesn't really. And the stats he cites about polluted rivers are not real-world numbers. He seems to be making it up or pulling it from deceitful marketing materials.

Scientists from all over the world have chimed in to explain why this won't work. The little plastic he's collected at a cost of tens of millions of dollars has gone to landfill, which isn't a solution. He talks about recycling it, but since he started this in 2013 he hasn't made anything from it and has no plans to do so.

Seriously: He's asking Joe Rogan for ideas about what to make from recycled plastic. The dude thinks like an underwear gnome.

At best he's a well-meaning fool, but most likely he's just another con artist.

Credit him the two containers.
Posted by: hal
Date: December 21, 2019 05:27PM
Could you point to some scientists saying that this is doomed to failure - I searched a bit, but couldn't find any. All I can find are articles saying that it isn't proven to be effective yet, but those were at least a year old.
Date: December 21, 2019 05:28PM
vision63
Credit him the two containers.

I would, but they weren't exactly full.

Date: December 21, 2019 05:39PM
hal
Could you point to some scientists saying that this is doomed to failure - I searched a bit, but couldn't find any. ...

Here's a bunch in one spot:
[www.southernfriedscience.com]

Not one surveyed expert unreservedly supports the Ocean Cleanup.

A majority of surveyed experts had major concerns about the Ocean Cleanup overall, and more than 1/4 believed that the entire concept is “a bad idea with little or no redeeming value.” ...

Posted by: modelamac
Date: December 21, 2019 05:48PM
mswerd smiley

Sarcany

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 21, 2019 07:58PM
I think it is going to require legislation governing production, consumption, and recycling.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: December 21, 2019 08:00PM
Filliam H. Muffman
I think it is going to require legislation governing production, consumption, and recycling.

I actually have to pay for people to come pick up my garbage. Why aren't THEY separating it?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 21, 2019 08:07PM
....there have been numerous stories in the news about sea life being found dead....with tons of plastic in stomachs.....whales.....seals.......etc......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: December 21, 2019 08:09PM
vision63
Filliam H. Muffman

I actually have to pay for people to come pick up my garbage. Why aren't THEY separating it?

Well known "secret": It's so expensive to separate and recycle from single-stream that they send about 40% to the landfill and 25% to the incinerator on average, rather than recycling materials that aren't profitable.

In some cities like Philadelphia, PA, half of it goes straight to the incinerator before it even goes to the sorter. Then much of the remainder still goes to landfill or incineration because they can't afford to separate out the "contaminated" waste that the Chinese used to take off their hands. A little grease on your pizza carton, or a bit of yogurt left in the cup, or just a black plastic tray from your frozen dinner which might be a nudge more expensive to recycle and the whole load gets chucked.

Date: December 21, 2019 08:17PM
Sarcany
vision63
Filliam H. Muffman

Well known "secret": It's so expensive to separate and recycle from single-stream that they send about 40% to the landfill and 25% to the incinerator on average, rather than recycling materials that aren't profitable.

In some cities like Philadelphia, PA, half of it goes straight to the incinerator before it even goes to the sorter. Then much of the remainder still goes to landfill or incineration because they can't afford to separate out the "contaminated" waste that the Chinese used to take off their hands. A little grease on your pizza carton, or a bit of yogurt left in the cup, or just a black plastic tray from your frozen dinner which might be a nudge more expensive to recycle and the whole load gets chucked.

Of course they can't do it. Can't do is the new do.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 161
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020