advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Eustacetilley
Posted by: GGD
Date: December 21, 2019 05:58PM
He's been missing in action for several months, there was this thread during the summer, and assumptions that he went sailing.

[forums.macresource.com]

His last activity was 05/02/2019
[forums.macresource.com]

The last PM I received from him was 04/21/2019

Over the years I had exchanged a lot of messages with him via PM and email and we knew each other's real names and approximatly where we lived.

I sent him an email at Thanksgiving and got no response, and it wasn't unusual for him to not respond at times. He had even mentioned that he was spending a lot of time on sailing related forums.

Today I started to dig deeper and I discovered what I believe is some sad news. A Probate Court filing on 06/06/2019 with his name listed as the "Decedent", and his sister's name listed as the "Petitioner" and "Administrator". I can't find find any traces of an obituary or death notice, and have no idea what might have happened, but it seems to have been sudden.

I have never met or spoken with him, but shared a lot of written communication with him, and got to know more about his life over the years.

If my assumptions are correct, this very sad news, but a bit of closure to the mystery of his absence.

He will be missed.
GGD
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Eustacetilley
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: December 21, 2019 06:02PM
Hopefully you are wrong, but I'm afraid you aren't.

too bad.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Posted by: Acer
Date: December 21, 2019 06:09PM
Well, that would suck. He didn't post here much (or at all, frankly) after an initial burst of activity, but he lurked regularly and I had several PM exchanges with him over something he saw me post. A very deep-thinking person.

Here's to you, Eustace, wherever you are.
Posted by: hal
Date: December 21, 2019 06:10PM
The last I rec'd was April 8 - aw damn... I hope you're wrong.
Posted by: August West
Date: December 21, 2019 06:16PM
Sadness

“There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they’re falling in."

Posted by: vision63
Date: December 21, 2019 06:20PM
I hope it's not him too.
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: December 21, 2019 06:28PM
I last corresponded with Eustace on 2/27/2019.

He always, always left me to walk away thinking very deeply about the things we talked about and the things he said...

very very compelling mystery figure that popped into my world out of nowhere
years ago during a heavy rail. first on the board and then in private after he desurfaced, somewhat. I never even wanted to know his name or anything about this person, he told me what he felt i needed to know per each message..was interesting this way...necessary info provided to get through a series of exchanges

Funny, I always preferred to believe he was a subversive girl. And I did. I thought of him that way..felt exactly like a film noir anytime we corresponded and somehow he needed to be she in that deal.

I feel the beginnings of some heartbreak here. Im sort of not sure, GGD, if you feel like you've confirmed his passing for yourself?
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 21, 2019 06:32PM
last PM from him was 04/27/2019 12:39AM
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: December 21, 2019 06:38PM
Last PM was 04/26/2019.

Sad news indeed.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Date: December 21, 2019 06:54PM
I always enjoyed this opening paragraph of the first letter of an ongoing exchange Eustace and I had about the Beatles...it was a quietly brilliant introduction to the topic and was very familiar to me, in that it related so much to how I felt regarding the expansive touch that the Beatles provided..especially RE my parents, who were into Classical music and waved off 'our' pop music until the Beatles hit..it's a quietly lovely paragraph. It feels exactly like the opening lines of a great book that describes a period in a society through a story. Little bit Gatsby. Of course, the Nov 22nd reference is to the death of JFK, He was a very good writer and one deep dude.

From Eustace:

--"Here I was, safe in my certainty that Adults were in control, when on the previous 22nd of November, I saw two of them crying. In succession, my Second Grade Teacher, and then Mom. It was a Gray Christmas. And then we saw The Beatles on the Ed Sullivan Show in January, and the World was happy again. And it changed... My Parents became Beatlemaniacs."--

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2019 06:59PM by Kraniac.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: December 21, 2019 06:56PM
He had a classical education and it showed.

PM rather than board post seemed to have been his preferred method of communication. It's been awhile but I usually ended up coming away with a real appreciation of his depth of information and understanding over a pretty wide range of subjects.
Date: December 21, 2019 06:59PM
RgrF

PM rather than board post seemed to have been his preferred method of communication. It's been awhile but I usually ended up coming away with a real appreciation of his depth of information and understanding over a pretty wide range of subjects.

exactly..the guy sort of blew my mind, I had to be on my toes to keep up..found myself actually having to research things before responding...
Date: December 21, 2019 07:03PM
Kraniac
I feel the beginnings of some heartbreak here. Im sort of not sure, GGD, if you feel like you've confirmed his passing for yourself?

I do hope I'm wrong, but everything seems to fit to confirm it, and is telling me I'm right. His last activity was a little over a month before the first Probate hearing and shortly after last PMs. The first name of the petitioner matches a name he once mentioned as his sister's name. The court is in the county that he lived in.

The missing piece is an obituary, or news article.

Did anyone else here communicate with him outside the forum via email, and know more about him?
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 21, 2019 07:04PM
and thanks for looking into this, GGD.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: December 21, 2019 07:19PM
Kraniac
RgrF

exactly..the guy sort of blew my mind, I had to be on my toes to keep up..found myself actually having to research things before responding...

I also agree. The cat was definitely smart. He would PM me about various subjects that were way out of my scope. My last PM from him was 04/19/2019

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: rz
Date: December 21, 2019 07:31PM
Yeah, my last PM with him was 4/19. So sad if true.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 21, 2019 07:33PM
04/19/2019 for me. Sad to hear. My experience is similar to others. I will miss his presence and messages.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: davemchine
Date: December 21, 2019 07:41PM
I have many PM's from him stretching from 7/15/13 thru 4/21/19 (same as GGD). In reviewing those PM's it appears he had a lot of life experiences and interests including sailing, ham radio, old cars, and hifi stereos. He mentioned being 145 pounds and giving up beer and cigars back in 2014. I agree with everything said here. He was a very smart person, a deep thinker, and the depth of his PM's indicates he cared about people.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 21, 2019 07:53PM
....very wise, smart.....and nice person....last PM 5/2/19.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: lost in space
Date: December 21, 2019 08:09PM
That is sad news. I enjoyed our PMs too. He was a class act.

Posted by: mattkime
Date: December 21, 2019 08:10PM
Shoot. Count me among those whom he PMed with back in April - he provided some advice regarding my home purchase which I initially argued against yet ultimately followed. Good guy, would love to know the story.

Posted by: Buzz
Date: December 21, 2019 08:26PM
Last PM also on that fated 5/2/19....
He mentioned some long standing, health related stuff in a PM thread that ended 4/22/19.

Here's the last posts back and forth from 5/2/19 of a several (8) part exchange...

eustacetilley

Buzz
In brief; well, that explains it...
or is it,
that explains it well?

I just didn't want folks to get snookered into buying high K rated LED bulbs for normal use. Unless those puppies are 30 feet up, or higher, in like a gymnasium, they're the opposite of eye candy, they're eye poison.
==

Actually.... True High-K anything is eye poison. As real or fake High-K Lighting pushes above ~5000K, more UV creeps in, and UV is definitely Eye Poison... or is it?
I know a Secret.

Claude Monet in his last years was plagued by Cataracts; he nearly gave up painting. Then he had Cataract Surgery, in which the Lens and Cornea were removed, and he had to wear spectacles to see anything at all, and what he saw was... spectacular.

In Chichu, Japan, they built a Museum just around this one piece, a huge 2x6 meter work that Monet could only see a handful at a time, while painting. But he did paint what he saw, and this was the most revolutionary painting of the 20th Century. Monet was already celebrated for inventing Impressionism...
In having the Cataracts, Lens, and Cornea of his eye removed, Monet was now seeing possibly as low as 350nm, well into the UV-A range, and he painted his Impression of it as that soft Pink-Gray glow just to the left of center, the UV radiation of the Sun, that his naive spectacles couldn't focus. The Lens and Cornea are naturally UV protective of the Retina, even the UV that is basically harmless. Monet was the first, and I think the last, nobody has repeated this, to see and paint UV. This disturbed him though; he had Yellow-Green spectacles made up that filtered the UV out again. Anyway, removing the Lens and Cornea for non-medical reasons such as Art would be considered unethical. (Art? Art who?)
I see UV.
Actually, I trained myself to see it; we used Deuterium UV Lamps to "Ozone Scrub" Ultra High Vacuum bits free of Hydrocarbons. We were warned not to look at the lamps; we could damage our eyes by what we couldn't see... except I could see it, once I looked for it, as a sort of soft Pink-Gray glow. (The UV that I still couldn't see is what causes the damage... and the Ozone Scrubbing.)

You can buy little 365nm UV LEDs now that carry all sorts of warnings; they are no more harmful than a Blue LED of the same Flux, that is Photons per square area. Lumens, Lux, Candlepower... those are all rubbish, since they are Human Perception based, and we know how screwed up their Vision is...
The better of these UV LEDs filter out everything above 400nm, but if you prefer not to screw around with them, you need a Quartz Prism, and repeat what Newton did. Shine a Sunbeam into a dark room and through the Prism, and look at the Spectrum on a white wall, mark on the wall the boundaries below Red and beyond Violet that you can discern, and then photograph it.
Whatever you can see beyond Violet, and the Camera can't, is Ultra-Violet. You need a Quartz Prism because regular Glass attenuates UV. Camera Lenses such as the Takumar Quartz series are designed specifically to work in the UV range, and historically have been horrifically expensive. Making them is quite difficult, and the demand is low.

¬Eustace™

(The Takumar Lenses were named for Takuma Hajiwara, son of the Last Samurai, Envoy and Ambassador for the Japanese Emperor, Society Photographer, Inventor... and Spy.)

Peace, brother.
==
Posted by: Bernie
Date: December 21, 2019 08:28PM
4-23-2019

¬Eustace™
I've never owned, shot, or even handled a Gun, yet I am a Shootist, and I am writing a book about it called TAOS: The Art Of Shootistry.
He then told me much about it and included pictures. Uh it was about Cameras not guns.

I searched Amazon for the book. Guess he didn't finish it.

I got on his nerve a time or two. Yeah take a number.

This last PM was a good one so I will just have to be happy with that.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: Fritz
Date: December 21, 2019 08:57PM
been wondering myself. We shared Italian car jollies, which feathered into big boats that I had no idea about. Nuke stuff, that I have no understanding at all. And "A Canticle for Leibowitz".

Last I heard was 4/25 as well and hadn't heard back from a July message.
Frighteningly smart man.

Hope not, ...

!#$@@$#!

proofraed by OwEn the c@t.

Nobody remembers their first download, but everyone remembers their 1st LP.
Date: December 21, 2019 09:20PM
His very first post on Feb 21, 2013.

[forums.macresource.com]

And his last post on Nov 10, 2014.

[forums.macresource.com]

Hard to believe that he voluntarily stopped posting 5 years ago, yet we all kept in touch with him via PM until the end.

And yes, he had a brilliant mind, he spent decades surrounded by really smart people and Nobel Prize winners at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: December 21, 2019 09:22PM
I would usually feel guilty that my replies weren't worthy of his post and have to do lots of research just to keep from sounding like a damn fool. Many times I would be totally overwhelmed and just say, "Thank you for that."
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 21, 2019 09:40PM
Very sad news. Last PM was 04/26/2019 11:41PM.

Dennis S
I would usually feel guilty that my replies weren't worthy of his post and have to do lots of research just to keep from sounding like a damn fool. Many times I would be totally overwhelmed and just say, "Thank you for that."

I'm in the same club.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2019 09:42PM by Speedy.
Posted by: steve...
Date: December 21, 2019 10:02PM
I'm in the same boat also. He private messaged me a few times about comments I had made on the forum.

I asked about not seeing any of his posts and he responded (Dec '16):

Anyway, I'm not Public here any longer since I was Warned Off. Management as currently constituted and I just don't get along, and I will not tolerate Rules that only apply to me. And that is all that I have to day on the subject.

I assumed he didn't leave voluntarily but maybe he did?

Northern California Coast
Posted by: tenders
Date: December 21, 2019 10:07PM
Eustace PMed me on March 17 to defend the Performa 6200 against some of my gripes, and we discussed sailing (he has/had a Beneteau, a nice French boat), Irish singers, and LED wiring.

I always found his posts erudite, entertaining, and amusing in the best ways possible. He had mentioned in a random PM years ago having lingering speech impediments since childhood, which I often wondered about. He also hinted there was a reason he didn't post on the forum, though he never exhibited anything remotely close to bannable sentiment that I could discern.

Never knew his actual name, but "Eustace Tilley" is the name of the foppish old-school George Washington-looking mascot of the New Yorker magazine.

[en.wikipedia.org]

I will miss him.
Posted by: DP
Date: December 21, 2019 10:20PM
S h i t.

...more music...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2019 10:21PM by DP.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: December 21, 2019 10:21PM
He PMed me to school on craft beer and the history of brew pubs in the US and blast Bert Grant, Yakima’s pride. We agreed to disagree on the matter but you could tell he’d probably forgotten more than most people ever know.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: deckeda
Date: December 21, 2019 10:33PM
Seems I have a small collection of memorable PMs from forum members who are no longer here in one form or another that has now grown.

It however remains true that no one's ever really gone, just as the movie says.
Posted by: bfd
Date: December 21, 2019 10:34PM
March 7th and 8th were the last two PMs from Eustacetilley rec'd here… if he's gone, this would be sad news, indeed.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: December 21, 2019 11:23PM
he PM'd a lot of helpful information to me from time to time. last one was a bit over a year ago. i guess i always assumed he was observing us all. present in his absence. sail on, buddy.

If you want to fix our country, work with us in the states. statesproject.org

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Rolando
Date: December 22, 2019 01:53AM
Damn shame to go down un-noticed. I had a couple of PMs with him as well, last one on April 2nd 2019.

He really was a sharp fellow. He schooled me on Guiness stouts being "live" when I asked about a one being safe to drink. It was.

[forums.macresource.com]

He also schooled me on his "non-pacificist" ancestors from Ireland and Copyright Law.

I wonder if we should share his posts?

I'll need to get me a Guiness and have one for him.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: December 22, 2019 03:59AM
My last PM conversation with him was also last April. I haven't instigated so many topics recently but always hoped, when I did, that I would get a PM from him about it as when I did they were always funny, thought provoking and/or interesting.

Paul
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: December 22, 2019 07:35AM
I haven't looked up the dates of the PM's I had with him.

Doing so feels like shoveling dirt on the coffin, and I'm willing to wait for a definitive answer.

I did more 'listening' to him than 'talking' to him.

As with others, he would comment on comments I made, always to edify, and not once did he try to make me feel 'schooled'.

He is a brilliant personality, very knowledgeable in a number of fields, but never coming off as 'that guy at the party' who wants everyone to know that he knows a lot.

Even though we only communicated through PMs, it always felt like a casual conversation where I had a pleasant time and walked away knowing something more than at the start.

More reserved in PMs than The Løpe, I believe he enjoys one on one conversations, or at least those in a small group.

I hope he's OK. But that's the way of the forum. Many will be gone for one reason or another, and the rest may be left to wonder whatever happened to...

Life can really be random, sometimes.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: December 22, 2019 08:19AM
I received a PM from him on 5/1/19. I've posted the entire PM below, in reference to a comment about Macresource concerning a supplier who lied about quality testing. This topic was very important to me - I was a Supplier Quality Engineer for 13 years:

It's entirely the result of US Corporate Culture. Sapa wouldn't have had to fake the results if the Suppliers hadn't paid them off to do so; it's endemic, and it goes back decades. Remember Feynman testifying how Thiokol cheaped out on a simple O-Ring, and then faked their performance? It had been known for years that these Synthetic Rubber compounds were unsuitable for cold environments; we never used them when LN was involved; we used Teflon instead, which sealed repeatedly and reliably at UHV levels from ~100C Bakeout to LN Temperatures. But they cost three times as much as Viton.
At the very least, Jerald Mason of Thiokol, who overrode his own Engineer's objections to the Launch, famously ordering them to "...put on your Manager hats..." instead, should have been charged with Manslaughter. Instead he was allowed to quickly and quietly take an early retirement. (And become active in the Mormon Church...)
Thiokol eventually paid a $10M Fine, and contributed $4.6M to Survivor's Benefits, and nobody went to Jail.

Estimates of the costs of the Challenger Disaster to the US were ~$3.2B in 1986 Dollars.
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: December 22, 2019 09:15AM
Good ol’ Eustace...
Wherever that’d be, I know he’s gettIng jollies galore about all of us reaching for the Inboxes.

• back to confinement

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 22, 2019 09:26AM
....just to add...he was clearly erudite......and knowledgeable in so many things.....a conversation with him always raised one's IQ.....and he treated people nicely, regardless of their 'intelligence' level....

.....a totally unique person, such a gentle demeanor.....he will be missed......sorry to hear if true.......a great loss to this forum....and the world.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2019 09:39AM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: December 22, 2019 10:23AM
Eloquent, intelligent, and above all human. He is missed and remembered.
Date: December 22, 2019 11:10AM
..I wish i had responded to his last PM..meant to, but 2019 year has got me by the tail front to back and right to this moment and im in and out on everything.

it is SO moving to read all of these posts..Sorta taking my breath away, peeps. It's a really lovely thing.
funny how bonds are formed..we all seek fellowship and the stimulation it brings.
Date: December 22, 2019 11:13AM
But..it does occur to me because of a PM i received from a Forum member that this
could be a cleverly engineered 'hoax' by Eustace...Cause he went that way, for sure..

and anything he was thinking about? Every detail was wrought..for sure.
Posted by: btfc
Date: December 22, 2019 12:00PM
Echoing what others have already said, a very interesting and intelligent person. Very sad news, thanks for informing us, GGD. I had no idea why he stopped posting, but would see him lurking and thought several times about posting; "Eustace, come back!". I also received several PMs, mostly regarding photography.

To any other former posters who still check in, we miss you!
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: December 22, 2019 12:15PM
I'd love to know his real life story. Perhaps as time goes on, that could be shared - in a PM, of course!

Mischievous and Deceitful
Chicanerous and Deplorable
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: December 22, 2019 12:20PM
I always felt like I was one of the cool kids when I got a PM from him.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: December 22, 2019 12:41PM
Ugh. Last heard from him in early May. I did, and do, miss him.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Bo
Date: December 22, 2019 02:03PM
Sad to read of this. Count me among those who had some ongoing PMs with Eustace. Every now and again I'd check in late at night around 2-3am PST and I'd see his name pop up for a bit under Online Users.

He weighed in on a family connection to W. B. Yeats and his brother on this one in typically entertaining fashion.

eustacetilley
Bo
eustacetilley
I'm still around.
Things fall apart; the centerboard cannot hold.
Parts are on order from Beneteau.

BTW, do you ever hang around Rooster's Roadhouse?
Big Band Night on Wednesdays; Rock and Punk the rest of the time.

¬Eustace

Turning and turning in the widening gyre...

Haven't thought of that one in a long time! Had to memorize it for AP English in high school...gotta say I'm a bit rusty!

Oooh! Oooh! I forgot to comment on this bit:

I'm firmly convinced that the Enemy of English Literature is the High School English Lit Teacher.
W. B. Yeats may be the Bane of AP students everywhere, but our Family connection was with his brother Jack.
Jack Butler Yeats.

He was a Mentor of my Father, along with Samuel Beckett, when Dad was in the Abbey Theatre. Dad was written into one of Jack's plays- The part of the Lawyer in "In Sand".
There was a small painting that Jack gave to Dad, when Dad decided to pursue Marine Insurance instead of the Stage.
It was of a Tinker, pausing wearily by the side of the road.

Although I went into Physics, our Family was primarily Artistic, with occasional forays into Government and/or Treason.
There is one Family phrase that made its way into Physics, in reference to planned new Experiments with no funding in sight:
"The parts of which we have not got."

¬Eustace
Posted by: tronnei
Date: December 22, 2019 03:00PM
Checked my PMs, and I had just one from him in November 2018, on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the White Album.

So long, sir.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: December 22, 2019 03:28PM
This is one time I hope you're wrong.

The last PM I got from him we were joking about the annoying insurance TV ads. That was 09/28/2015.

Grateful11

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2019 03:31PM by Grateful11.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 299
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020