AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
From NPR: Placenta-Eating
Posted by: Beam Me Up Scotty
Date: December 28, 2019 09:56AM
I had no clue this was even done & just ruined my appetite for breakfast:

"Opinion: Placenta-Eating Went Mainstream When Many Doctors Stopped Listening"

[www.npr.org]

"Although there are no official estimates of how many women ingest their placenta, the Internet is increasingly crowded with placenta service providers — preparers of pills, smoothies and salves to support new mothers in the slog to recovery."

Cue the "Beef. It's what's for dinner" jokes...

D & C
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: From NPR: Placenta-Eating
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: December 28, 2019 10:02AM
I've heard of it before. I can't say I like the idea. smiley-talk034

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: tronnei
Date: December 28, 2019 10:22AM
Saturday Night Live did "Placenta Helper" ad parody in 1976.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: December 28, 2019 11:04AM
I suppose if someone had a piece of their liver removed, they could fry it up with onions.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero
Posted by: rgG
Date: December 28, 2019 11:06AM
barf smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: freeradical
Date: December 28, 2019 11:09AM
Is there a vegan alternative?
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 28, 2019 11:29AM
Cord blood has been used as a source for stem cells, might want to consider harvesting some blood first.

As long as it's been handled in a sanitary manner, the mother should not get sick from eating the cord and placenta. It will contain a lot of nutrients that the just born parasite had been sucking from the mother.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Pam
Date: December 28, 2019 11:33AM
We use donated placenta as a training source for cadaver dogs. A much better use of what is no longer needed.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: December 28, 2019 11:38AM
Filliam H. Muffman
As long as it's been handled in a sanitary manner, the mother should not get sick from eating the cord and placenta. It will contain a lot of nutrients that the just born parasite had been sucking from the mother.

[theconversation.com]

Many biologically active substances are thought to be lost during the encapsulation process. In one of the few published studies investigating the composition of placenta capsules, only three out of the 17 hormones measured in part of the study were present in high enough levels to be physiologically relevant. Notably, two of these hormones – oestradiol and progesterone – can actually supress milk production.

...The placenta may also be a source of potentially harmful substances.

During pregnancy, the placenta regulates the transfer of substances between mother and baby. As such, accumulation of potentially toxic substances can occur. To date, there have been only a few small studies examining the toxicity profile of placenta capsules.

Reassuringly, it’s likely the concentrations of toxins such as lead, mercury, and arsenic are well within safe limits. But data is currently available for only a small, select group of elements. There haven’t been any studies to measure the levels of organic pollutants or other potentially harmful substances that may be present in the placenta.

Another concern is that placenta capsules may be contaminated with harmful bacteria. Earlier this year, an infant in the USA was diagnosed with the potentially fatal condition late-onset sepsis, caused by the bacteria group B Streptococcus agalactiae. Placenta capsules consumed by the infant’s mother tested positive for the bacteria, and were identified as a potential source of the infection.

Posted by: Grateful11
Date: December 28, 2019 11:40AM
A cow that's just had her calf will eat the afterbirth/placenta within hours of giving birth if you don't take it away from her. I've seen it happen many times over the years. Yuck raw placenta.

Grateful11
Posted by: testcase
Date: December 28, 2019 12:17PM
"Cue the "Beef. It's what's for dinner" jokes... "

Ummmmmm............

More like VEAL.......... smiley-shocked003
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: December 28, 2019 12:58PM
Grateful11
A cow that's just had her calf will eat the afterbirth/placenta within hours of giving birth if you don't take it away from her. I've seen it happen many times over the years. Yuck raw placenta.

I've seen some of our sheep do it too.

I think it serves a dual purpose.
(1) It provides nutrients when the new mother needs it most.
(2) It somewhat reduces the risk of predators locating the vulnerable new mother and offspring.
Posted by: GGD
Date: December 28, 2019 02:29PM
Ammo
I suppose if someone had a piece of their liver removed, they could fry it up with onions.

And serve with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.
TE;DR
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: December 28, 2019 09:32PM
That's TOO EWWWWW; DIDN'T READ.

Skipped all the posts in this thread on general principle.

Not gonna, nope.

Outta here!

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 29, 2019 08:16AM
.....been happening a long time now.........makes no...........(pla)cents.........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: December 29, 2019 01:10PM
TheTominator
Grateful11

I've seen some of our sheep do it too.

I think it serves a dual purpose.
(1) It provides nutrients when the new mother needs it most.
(2) It somewhat reduces the risk of predators locating the vulnerable new mother and offspring.

That practice/habit/instinct may be common across the mammalian phylum, for the reasons listed above. My cat did it right after giving birth to her first kitten... in my lap! That was when the warm, fuzzy feeling of pride that my pet looked to me for support during a clearly stressful moment dialed back a notch or two, or more in the vernacular, I went from "Awwww..." to "Ew" in an instant. When the second kitten arrived with considerably less drama than the first had, I told the cat "Okay, you seem to have things under control now so I'm gonna transfer you and your babies from my lap to the birthin' box and let you carry on without my assistance".

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

What's my "Super Power"? I can make active threads go stone-dead with a single post. I try to use this power only for good and not for evil but, you know... stuff happens.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: December 29, 2019 07:46PM
You won't eat the placenta, but over easy eggs are fine? Is there that much of a difference?

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: December 29, 2019 07:53PM
Ombligo
You won't eat the placenta, but over easy eggs are fine? Is there that much of a difference?

There's less health risk from eggs.

Also, yes. Chickens are non-placental.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: PeterB
Date: December 29, 2019 09:45PM
GGD
Ammo

And serve with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.

Damn! Beat me to it!

[en.wikipedia.org]

... would you like that fried or steamed? Or how about a smoothie? eye popping smiley

But seriously, I'd be really concerned about bacterial growth...

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2019 09:46PM by PeterB.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 30, 2019 11:17AM
....it's the ......Scenta......of a Woman [ booya ].....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 314
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020