advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Just rewatched "The Black Hole"
Posted by: Rolando
Date: January 18, 2020 02:08AM
on Disney+. I forgot how bad it is. The writing, the effects, the music, the sets....

This is two years after Star Wars $10 million budget
A year after BattleStar Galactica's $7 million budget (The first three eps were packaged into a theatrical release.

"With a production budget of $20 million, plus another $6 million for advertising, it was at the time the most expensive picture ever produced by Disney. During its theatrical release, the movie grossed $35.8 million in the United States and Canada"

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Just rewatched "The Black Hole"
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: January 18, 2020 09:50AM
I remember seeing it in the theatre.....

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 18, 2020 10:58AM
Wasn't it disney's first PG movie?
Posted by: Rolando
Date: January 18, 2020 11:19AM
Racer X

I believe that's true. I can't see what would make it PG, tho. Star Trek TMP was G, and it showed two crew members torn apart by a transporter malfunction!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 18, 2020 11:23AM
......#metoo........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 18, 2020 11:29AM
Rolando
Racer X

I believe that's true. I can't see what would make it PG, tho. Star Trek TMP was G, and it showed two crew members torn apart by a transporter malfunction!

Standards and ratings criteria have changed DRASTICALLY in the last 5 decades. Remember that ST-TOS was the first inter-racial kiss, and I Love Lucy wouldn't even let Lucy and Desi sleep in the same bed, but they were MARRIED on and off screen.

I recall that the Black Hole PG had something with the robot violence?
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 18, 2020 11:52AM
Racer X
I Love Lucy wouldn't even let Lucy and Desi sleep in the same bed, but they were MARRIED on and off screen.

and even a storyline where she was pregnant. I guess Desi could do more than just pound the conga's.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Posted by: tronnei
Date: January 18, 2020 11:58AM
Ombligo

and even a storyline where she was pregnant.

The p word was forbidden. Lucy was "expecting."
Posted by: pdq
Date: January 18, 2020 12:57PM
I remember that the "eyes" of the R2D2 ripoff robot were obviously painted on, and in one scene near the end, the walls of the spaceship were obviously made of fabric, flapping back and forth. I wonder where the $20M was spent...

At the time, me and my Star-Wars-hip buddies laughed all the way through it.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: January 18, 2020 02:40PM
To each his own. I love that movie, nostalgia being a big factor. Superb score by John Barry. Love the steampunk aesthetics of a lot of the sets & vessels.

FWIW, Alan Dean Foster's novelization is a great read. It goes into some detail and is based on the original script, with some changes in pacing and storyline. For instance, the robots had a pool table showdown rather than a shootout.

The ending is more sublime. A lot of things were changed during filming to ramp up the sfx and perceived "wow" factor. The whole meteorites through the ship, the existential ending (purgatory, hell, heaven) (again, the ending of the novelization is shorter, per se, but more akin to Clarke's Space Odyssey thought line).

Bottom line is this: watch it as if it's one of those 40s/50s serials. You remember the ones that took themselves way too seriously and were basically aimed at a child audience -- but they still played it straight. That's "The Black Hole".

An aside: twist a couple of spots, and you have the basis for the sci-fi horror film "Event Horizon".

Also FWIW: fans of the film decreed it a Christmas movie. According to the script & novel, the Palamino discovers the black hole and the Cygnus on Christmas Eve (I don't recall the year).

Posted by: pdq
Date: January 18, 2020 03:39PM
pdq
I remember that the "eyes" of the R2D2 ripoff robot were obviously painted on...

Just like R2D2, only Disney-fied!
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 18, 2020 06:23PM
It's currently free on Tubi streaming.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: sekker
Date: January 18, 2020 07:54PM
Filliam H. Muffman
It's currently free on Tubi streaming.

And still too expensive.

With current new tv shows coming out, tons of better Sci fi content these days...
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: January 18, 2020 09:59PM
rjmacs
I remember seeing it in the theatre.....

Me too.

Grateful11
Date: January 18, 2020 10:50PM
......Holey........mackerel......

Posted by: pinion
Date: January 21, 2020 01:21PM
If you haven't seen Black Hole Apocalypse on Netflix go watch it. It was made by Nova.

---“What you permit, you promote. What you allow, you encourage. What you condone, you own.”
Date: January 22, 2020 09:50PM
....does watching Black Holes.....make you wanna' supernova.......in your pants......????

Posted by: pinion
Date: January 23, 2020 09:57AM
NewtonMP2100
....does watching Black Holes.....make you wanna' supernova.......in your pants......????

Yes.

---“What you permit, you promote. What you allow, you encourage. What you condone, you own.”
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 77
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020