advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
For those who had their ibook replaced by Apple, did you get applecare for the replacement?
Posted by: ATT
Date: January 19, 2006 05:18PM
All,

Just wondering for those of you who had your ibook G3 replaced by Apple with an ibook G4, did you or were you able to get applecare for your new ibook G4?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: For those who had their ibook replaced by Apple, did you get applecare for the replacement?
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: January 19, 2006 05:26PM
Of course you can.

Why wouldn't you be able to?
Please explain your logic.

BGnR
Re: For those who had their ibook replaced by Apple, did you get applecare for the replacement?
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: January 19, 2006 06:05PM
You can. I screwed up and didn't.

My G3 was replaced with a G4 September 05. The AppleCare on my G3 expired June 06. What I didn't realize was, if I wanted AppleCare on the G4, I had to buy it before the original AppleCare expired. I thought I'd have from one year of getting the G4. I was wrong.

Oh well. I haven't had any problems with it, and I can't complain that I got shafted. If the original G3 had been perfect, I would still have it, and AppleCare would have run out by now. As it is, I've got a faster laptop that has never needed servicing. I still came out ahead.
Date: January 19, 2006 06:13PM
Mike Johnson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You can. I screwed up and didn't.
>
> My G3 was replaced with a G4 September 05. The
> AppleCare on my G3 expired June 06. What I didn't
> realize was, if I wanted AppleCare on the G4, I
> had to buy it before the original AppleCare
> expired. I thought I'd have from one year of
> getting the G4. I was wrong.
>
> Oh well. I haven't had any problems with it, and I
> can't complain that I got shafted. If the original
> G3 had been perfect, I would still have it, and
> AppleCare would have run out by now. As it is,
> I've got a faster laptop that has never needed
> servicing. I still came out ahead.

MJ, someone is BSing you, your old Applecare does not apply to your new G4, the new replacement has a 1 year warranty, in that time period you may purchase Applecare.

BGnR

Posted by: Joseph C.
Date: January 19, 2006 06:31PM
I did.
You need to ask for a refund of your unused Applecare on the G3 and then buy a new policy for the G4. I was told that it needs to be within one year of the replacement.
HTH
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: January 19, 2006 07:08PM
Eh, maybe. It was Apple. I believed her -- her name was Dawn -- because I couldn't imagine any motive for misleading me. They like selling AppleCare.

After it happened, I dug around and found other people had been told the exact same thing. Policy or not, it no longer matters to me. But let my experience be a warning to folks like ATT: all laptops should have AppleCare, and if you put it off, you're just asking for a headache, whatever the reason.
Posted by: MartyStickle
Date: January 19, 2006 07:32PM
I bought applecare on amazon for my replacemnt ibook g4. I did this after the expiration date of my Ibook g3 applecare and I had no problem. I could have gotten a small refund on remaining few months of the g3 applecare, but couldn't find the receipt.
Posted by: vicrock
Date: January 19, 2006 07:48PM
What Joseph C said - I did this when they replaced my Pismo with a TIbook.
Posted by: ATT
Date: January 19, 2006 09:53PM
Thank all for the quick responses.

Actually, the reason I am asking is because when I called Applecare they told me that my new ibook would run out of warranty as soon as my 3 year applecare expired for my ibook G3. THe woman say that I don't even get a full year warranty on my replacement.

Anyway, my original ibook g3 warranty has run out. However, if there is still a chance for me to get warranty on my ibook g4, I would. I just don't want to purchase it and then realized that I can't use it.

Posted by: Golfer
Date: January 19, 2006 10:47PM
That's really odd ATT. When I got my replacement iBook my original iBook was 2 years old, 1 year out of the warranty and no AppleCare. When I asked Ali abut getting AppleCare on my replacement she said Apple would treat it just like if I had purchased it new. It would have a full one year warranty and I could purchase AppleCare any time within that year. I didn't wait though, bought it within the first week I had the replacement.
Date: January 19, 2006 11:04PM
Mike Johnson, why don't we just cut to the chase?
At the bottom right of this linked page is a box that you type your serial number into, it will tell you what amount of warranty or Applecare you have left.

About Your Support Coverage
[www.apple.com]

BGnR
I am betting you have full 1 year warranty.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 159
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020