Seems this latest news isn't hurting their stock price! newt's post

Tesla Denies Unintended Acceleration Charge; Blames Short Seller
01/21/2020
Forbes: Greg Gardner, Senior Contributor
Tesla denied allegations that some of its cars have experienced unintended
acceleration and blamed a “short seller” for promoting the charges in order to
manipulate Tesla’s stock price.

In a company blog post on Monday, the electric vehicle manufacturer said, “We
investigate every single incident where the driver alleges to us that their vehicle
accelerated contrary to their input, and in every case where we had the vehicle's
data, we confirmed that the car operated as designed.”

A petition filed recently with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
cited 127 incidents reported by Tesla owners in which their cars accelerated,
they claimed, without cause.

The safety agency is looking at the reports to determined whether it will conduct
a formal investigation. The petition alleged that the issue was a factor in 110
accidents and 52 injuries between 2012 and 2019.
Forbes

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Tesla Denies Unintended Acceleration Charge
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: January 21, 2020 04:29PM
The person who filed the petition is a major short seller. He doesn't even own a Tesla.

The individual incidents listed in the petition were already reported to the NHTSA....they were all shown to be driver error.

Teslas have fewer instances of 'unintended accelerations' than the industry average.

Funny that @ssholes like this can get away with overt attempts to manipulate stock prices.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2020 04:37PM by Carnos Jax.
Posted by: davester
Date: January 21, 2020 04:48PM
Weren't short sellers also a problem for Apple back in the day? How often does this problem come up? I agree that short sellers who sow propaganda to influence stock prices should be treated just like insider traders are...sent to jail.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: January 21, 2020 04:57PM
Yes they were a problem for Apple. In fact, in terms of dollar amounts, Apple I believe is the most shorted stock in history. However, in terms of percentage of shares or market capitalization, Tesla would take that title.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: January 21, 2020 05:24PM
Sounds like a desperate short seller, who is seeing an approaching "call" of his position and is about to become a bankrupt former short seller in a lot more debt than he can cover.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: January 21, 2020 07:34PM
It happened to Toyota so why couldn't it happen to another manufacturer?

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: mikebw
Date: January 21, 2020 07:44PM
pRICE cUBE

I thought it all turned out to be from pedals sticking to floor mats, which is why they now have extra floor mat anchors on the driver side.
Date: January 21, 2020 07:56PM
mikebw
pRICE cUBE

I thought it all turned out to be from pedals sticking to floor mats, which is why they now have extra floor mat anchors on the driver side.

Plus, Tesla already proved these incidents were driver error. In addition these types of incidents happen less frequently in Tesla’s than on average. Therefore this is nothing but a phallic move by a short seller trying to save his butt. Why should it get any attention at all?
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: January 21, 2020 08:04PM
mikebw
pRICE cUBE

From wikipedia:
The 2009–11 Toyota vehicle recalls involved three separate but related recalls of automobiles by Toyota Motor Corporation, which occurred at the end of 2009 and start of 2010. Toyota initiated the recalls, the first two with the assistance of the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), after reports that several vehicles experienced unintended acceleration. The first recall, on November 2, 2009, was to correct a possible incursion of an incorrect or out-of-place front driver's side floor mat into the foot pedal well, which can cause pedal entrapment. The second recall, on January 21, 2010, was begun after some crashes were shown not to have been caused by floor mat incursion. This latter defect was identified as a possible mechanical sticking of the accelerator pedal causing unintended acceleration, referred to as Sticking Accelerator Pedal by Toyota. The original action was initiated by Toyota in their Defect Information Report, dated October 5, 2009, amended January 27, 2010.[1] Following the floor mat and accelerator pedal recalls, Toyota also issued a separate recall for hybrid anti-lock brake software in February 2010.[2]

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 22, 2020 03:25AM

The question isn't so much 'why couldn't it...', but more so 'did it...'

Tesla had telemetry that's pretty amazing, though maybe not if you're familiar with rocket science.

Are there any documented cases of Teslas exhibiting 'unintended accelerations'? By that I mean a malfunction of Tesla hardware or software unrelated to driver input (and floor mats)/

I think Audi and Jeep had a spade this. Were any of them documented as being the fault of the vehicle and not the driver (not including floor mats).

I'm sure it can actually happen, but I'm aware of some similar claims that turned out be be major pilot error, hitting the 'gas' instead of the brake, then blaming the car.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: January 22, 2020 08:49AM
Tesla has software, added over a year ago on all AutoPilot cars, even older ones as a software update.
There is also a warning, and prevention, if two pedals are pressed at the same time.
[cleantechnica.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 82
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020