advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Internet surveillance camera
Posted by: Dik2
Date: January 28, 2020 11:11AM
I'm looking for something to monitor trashcan alcove from second floor window. Small, indoor mount medium telephoto zoom, including night vision and motion sensing. AC powered, wi-fi connection, cloud storage, 4K?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Internet surveillance camera
Posted by: Gareth
Date: January 28, 2020 11:35AM
Indoor (and presumably behind a window) and night vision don't go well together. Night vision relies on IR LEDs which will reflect off the window and you won't see anything (at night). Camera will need to be mounted outside in order for night vision to function. If there's enough ambient lighting outside, you might be able to use a camera with night vision off.

Medium telephoto zoom will limit your choices as well as most "consumer" oriented solutions are going to be wide angle (i.e. 140ยบ field of view, more or less).
Posted by: Dik2
Date: January 28, 2020 12:27PM
I can mount an external motion sensing light and make sure it's shielded from the camera.
Posted by: GGD
Date: January 28, 2020 03:47PM
The Wyze cameras have a setting to turn off the IR lighting for night vision, specifically for when it's up against a window and the glass would reflect the IR lights.

There have been a lot of threads here on the Wyze cameras, they're pretty cheap so not a huge investment for a first attempt.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: January 28, 2020 04:07PM
I have this camera: Reolink

I bought this because it's outdoor rated and can be powered over ethernet. I've been running it for almost a year and it's been rock solid. Night time image quality is very good. No zoom function, but you could probably digitally zoom in on video if needed.
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 28, 2020 05:27PM
Neighbor got a reolink too. But this one ... 15% off.

[www.amazon.com]

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: January 30, 2020 12:56AM
GGD
The Wyze cameras have a setting to turn off the IR lighting for night vision, specifically for when it's up against a window and the glass would reflect the IR lights.

There have been a lot of threads here on the Wyze cameras, they're pretty cheap so not a huge investment for a first attempt.
Yep. We got one to keep an eye on our new puppy (a 110lb year-old bullmastiff). Works great with very little light (like, just a tiny night-light) in the room. Lowest-priced model Microcenter carries, about $25.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 30, 2020 12:01PM
.....don't use.....Ring........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 179
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020