advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
you didn't say 'mother may O?!'....grilled cheese__mayo vs butter F/U......
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 01, 2020 09:30PM
......mayo doesn't burn as easily [ you can cook at higher smoke point so bread gets more 'crisp' ]......if you use the new 'flavored mayo' you can add added flavors....garlic, sriracha, chipotle, etc......

......the biggest benefit of slathering your bread with mayonnaise before frying — it simply doesn’t burn as easily.

The ingredients in store bought mayonnaise have a higher smoke point than butter, which means your grilled cheese lunch is more foolproof. You can cook the sandwich over (slightly) higher heat for a crisper exterior and fluffier interior. Yep, you read that correctly: a fluffier interior. Often, the low-and-slow cooking method required with butter will dry out the bread too much, especially if you’re using a fancier bread with fewer bread conditioners and stabilizers.

That ultra-crisp crust is due to more than just a more carefree cooking temperature. All true mayonnaises contain eggs, which, with their added protein, contribute to even more golden brown deliciousness......

the previous thread............?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2020 09:19AM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: you didn't say 'mother may O?!'....grilled cheese__mayo vs butter F/U......
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 01, 2020 11:32PM
interesting.....
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: February 02, 2020 05:06AM
Racer X
Interesting.....

Indeed.

In a similar vein, a friend of mine used a dollop of mayonnaise instead of butter in his homemade mashed potatoes. I know how that sounds and I was skeptical too... until I tasted them: Undeniably yummy, and depending on which brand of mayo you use the lemon in it adds an ever-so-slight sharpening of the flavor that isn't obviously lemon.

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

Stop and think about this: If you're able to shout the words "I CAN'T BREATHE!!!" at considerable volume, then you have just proven to anyone listening that you can indeed breathe.

"I don't see color, I just see ugly" - Joe Jitsukawa
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 02, 2020 08:29AM
I don't care for the change in taste of mayonnaise when exposed to heat.

So it's butter only, for me.

Two for two, I'm good now.

We are a government of laws, not men.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 02, 2020 08:30AM
[youtu.be]
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: February 02, 2020 10:12AM
A local burger joint uses mayo to toast their buns, adds a subtle bite to the bun taste. I've started doing the same.

I've also switched to mayo for mashed potatoes because my daughter-in-law (to be) is lactose intolerant. I was dubious but it really does work well.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: pipiens
Date: February 02, 2020 03:21PM
Another variable is the oil in the mayo. Avocado oil has a very high smoke point (480-520 degrees F)
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 02, 2020 05:45PM
I just might try this next time and tell no one. Their blind opinion should answer it for me.

I had some garlic parm/romano bread made with mayo instead of butter. It was pretty good. I did miss the butter flavor, but an olive oil mayo would work just fine.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: February 02, 2020 05:51PM
I'll stick to what I know. Slather butter on the bread, and keep a close eye on them. I never heard complaints, and I know they taste pretty great to me. yum smiley

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: August West
Date: February 04, 2020 12:08AM
I'd have to say that if grilled cheese w/butter isn't "foolproof" enough, the problem is not the butter.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 165
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020