advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How do they handle electric car charging in NJ?
Posted by: mikebw
Date: February 07, 2020 01:51PM
Full service by law or DIY?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How do they handle electric car charging in NJ?
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: February 07, 2020 02:00PM
The SO has a Tesla and we're in a condo community that is giving him grief about running out a line next to his garage to his parking spot (not in a walkway) to charge his car from there.

NJ House was "suppose" to pass a sort of "right to charge" law but the governor did a veto on it when it came to his desk passed by the legislative. He's still trying to find out what happened.

There's new chargers showing up all the time - some Tesla, some not.

I don't know if this is what you want to know or not..
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 07, 2020 02:02PM
....with a slow....hand.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: February 07, 2020 02:29PM
Yeah basically, how do they handle it versus gasoline cars?

I know they have laws so that you cannot fuel up your own car at a station, but I was curious about how they were doing electric car charing.
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 07, 2020 02:40PM
is this a serious question or a joke?
Date: February 07, 2020 03:04PM
space-time

Look, do you have an answer or not?
Posted by: vision63
Date: February 07, 2020 03:11PM
mikebw
space-time

I'm pretty sure NJ doesn't care how you plug in your car.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 07, 2020 03:15PM
....so one can just plug it the f**************k in.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: February 07, 2020 03:29PM
mikebw
space-time

of course I do, I live here. You plug in your own car. the full service law only applies to GAS stations. I never say an attendant at a public charging station, and of course at home you do whatever you want.

I am not sure what was the logic behind full service at gas stations, some people said it was to create jobs, other said it was to prevent accidents/spills, whatever it was, it is no nice to not have to get out of the car and pump your own gas. It could be too cold, too hot, those pump handles are probably the most bacteria infested objects you even come in contact with, and you don't smell like gasoline afterwards.
Posted by: clay
Date: February 07, 2020 04:04PM
what if the electricity spills out!
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: February 07, 2020 04:13PM

Here in Krypton Township we have attendants.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2020 04:33PM by Steve G..
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: February 07, 2020 05:05PM
space-time
mikebw
space-time

of course I do, I live here. You plug in your own car. the full service law only applies to GAS stations. I never say an attendant at a public charging station, and of course at home you do whatever you want.

I am not sure what was the logic behind full service at gas stations, some people said it was to create jobs, other said it was to prevent accidents/spills, whatever it was, it is no nice to not have to get out of the car and pump your own gas. It could be too cold, too hot, those pump handles are probably the most bacteria infested objects you even come in contact with, and you don't smell like gasoline afterwards.

The rest of the country views it as pure laziness combined with an excuse for station owners to jack up gasoline prices to ridiculous levels. I'd imagine it went through because rich politicians didn't want to look lazy not pumping their own gas so it was in the best interest of everyone, except the average Joe, to pass a law banning people from pumping gas.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: rz
Date: February 07, 2020 05:21PM
I used to live in PA and got a kick out of being at a gas station when someone from NJ pulled up. They'd have no clue how to pump their own gas.
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 07, 2020 05:21PM
Gas is a carcinogen, I think it’s ok to spread the exposure out to owners.
Posted by: testcase
Date: February 07, 2020 05:30PM
Sorry I don't have an answer for you mikebw.

Lizabeth's problem sounds more like an HOA (Home Owners' Association) issue than anything the NJ legislators have come up with. NJ DOES allow drivers to pump their own diesel fuel; I've done that many times. It's VERY common in HOA's to have restrictive rules and, there is often some resident a-hole who thinks their mission in life is to throw their weight around by enforcing what they think the rules should be.
Date: February 07, 2020 05:33PM
C(-)ris
space-time
mikebw
space-time

The rest of the country views it as pure laziness combined with an excuse for station owners to jack up gasoline prices to ridiculous levels. I'd imagine it went through because rich politicians didn't want to look lazy not pumping their own gas so it was in the best interest of everyone, except the average Joe, to pass a law banning people from pumping gas.

yet gas is still cheaper than in neighboring states.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 07, 2020 05:38PM
There was a time when all gas stations were full service.

Then some added self-service islands along with full service. And full service included checking oil and air, and cleaning the windshield.

Now (in CA) it's all self-serve, you don't see attendants, and most gas stations are mini-market convenience store combos. I'd be curious as to whether or not there were still full-service stations for those who don't know how to pump gas.

I know couples who have only one of the two who takes care of fueling up.

I was on a bike ride to MT, and passing through WA or OR, self-service was not permitted. But those of us on bikes were given a nod that we could fuel up ourselves. I don't know the rational.

People whine about 'laziness' in so many minor areas like it's a bad thing, and they're special because they're 'motivated'. What BS.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Cary
Date: February 07, 2020 06:52PM
space-time
C(-)ris
space-time
mikebw
space-time

yet gas is still cheaper than in neighboring states.

I used to look forward to gassing up in NJ, and specifically would plan on a stop before heading back to NY. Since gas taxes went up in NJ (last year?), The prices are very similar to NY/Long Island, and I don't stop unless I have to.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 07, 2020 06:54PM
attendants in Oregon, not in WA.
Posted by: davester
Date: February 07, 2020 08:21PM
I believe the reason for requiring attendants in Oregon is so that disabled people with mobility issues can get gassed up, whereas in states where there's no attendant they have significant difficulty with that. Whether it's a valid reason, I don't know.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: LyleH
Date: February 07, 2020 08:59PM
I stopped riding my motorcycle in Oregon around 2000. I believe the attendants would sometimes let me fill my bike with gas because of the danger of gas spilling too easily on the hot motor and starting a fire. And, if they filled it they had to stay there to finish the filling. So they let me have the "fun". LyleH
Posted by: JoeM
Date: February 07, 2020 09:32PM
MY wife and I have a model 3 in NJ. You pretty much use J1772 EV chargers yourself wherever you find them in public areas like malls. Some are free. In private locations you might have to pay and you might have a valet service do the charging. You operate Tesla superchargers in public areas yourself.

We generally don't use either as my wife has 3 charging stations at her place of work provided by the company and I installed a 220V line to a NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage so we can charge at home.

JoeM
Posted by: decay
Date: February 08, 2020 12:54AM
NJ gas is often (not always) cheaper than in nearby eastern PA.

I don't love handing my debit card to an attendant. I usually do not have cash for gas fillups.

Costco gas has mitigated the cost difference between PA and NJ, and I don't really mind pumping it.

---
Date: February 08, 2020 03:59AM
NJ gas is often (not always) cheaper than in nearby eastern PA.

yeah, a few years ago they added about 20c per gallon in taxes, before that I would be gas was always cheaper here in NJ

I don't love handing my debit card to an attendant. I usually do not have cash for gas fillups.

At non-Costco stations: They put it in the pump and hand it back when done together with the receipt.
At Costco-stations: They inert it quickly and then hand it back to you, and then at the end they give you the receipt.

The only issue I see if there is a skimmer installed into the pump. But I would guess that is more likely in PA where everyone can mess with the pump, than in NJ where only the gas attendant is supposed to operate the pump.

Costco gas has mitigated the cost difference between PA and NJ, and I don't really mind pumping it.

probably true if you compare Costco in PA with non-Costco in NJ, but I would guess Costco in NJ is even cheaper.

and BTW, you do NOT need a membership to buy gas at Costco in NJ.
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: February 08, 2020 08:40AM
C(-)ris

Here in Mass we have a no unattended fuel sale law. That means that yes, you pump it fuel yourself, but you are not allowed to wander away, go in reside the store, bathroom, etc. Someone needs to be within several feet of the fueling process so if splash back occurs, you are there to react and prevent a disaster.

I am in full support of this, at least once a month, many times more, someone will leave the car unattended, come inside my store and then since people are so good at multitasking, NOT they get back to the vehicle, get in the car, and attempt to drive away, without taking the nozzle out of the tank. Luckily the breakaway valve does its job, and we never have spill. The customer pays for this brain fart, however as they get a bill to reattach the breakaway and any other repair needed, such as bent nozzle, etc.
I love the fact that my contractor's contract with me is they fix it free to me, but then go after the customer for reimbursement.
This can be up to $200 or more, travel time, wage, parts, qualified tech testing the equipment etc.
So you say lazy, I say stupidity. Many are too distracted to even rememnber what they are doing.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: February 09, 2020 09:37AM
so is 120v cheaper than 220v?

(yes, I'm being a smart@#$%&)

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 110
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020