advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I actually have a coronavirus
Posted by: RgrF
Date: February 29, 2020 12:03AM
It's a variation called MERSA. I contracted it about 8 years ago in an OR that was saving my life during an aortic aneurysm. At that time an aortic aneurysm would be fatal more than 90% of the time, thanks to the knowledge and skill of everyone from the EMTs, the admitting MD and especially the surgeon who spent 18 hours repairing me - I survived.

That I came out with complications was clearly better than the alternative but back to the coronavirus. It took more than a year with multiple hospitalizations and surgical procedures but was eventually deemed cured.

Six years later I collapsed from fever with hallucinations and bordered on sepsis. It was a MERSA re-occurrence. Seems that once infected you can become colonized and subject to new incidences forever. Took another year to clear this attack and am now on a lifetime of daily dosages of killer-ass antibiotics.

The gist of this post is to dissuade anyone who thinks that the current pandemic (that's what it is) isn't something to take as serious as possible, while people may survive an encounter with COVID-19 that won't necessarily free them from future occurrences.

Just be GODDAMN careful until this thing abates.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I actually have a coronavirus
Posted by: vision63
Date: February 29, 2020 12:59AM
That had to be a really terrorizing time in your life. That was quite a lot of adventure. Glad you got through it.
Date: February 29, 2020 01:19AM
Hi Russ...
...noticed it took a few referee "home calls" for your Fakers to outlast the Celts, maybe we'll resolve this come June.
Date: February 29, 2020 02:52AM
RgrF
Hi Russ...
...noticed it took a few referee "home calls" for your Fakers to outlast the Celts, maybe we'll resolve this come June.

Been outlasting the Celts for decades now. Yawn. Bring it on. Sweep.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: February 29, 2020 05:22AM
vision63
RgrF
Hi Russ...

Been outlasting the Celts for decades now. Yawn. Bring it on. Sweep.

Um, yeah, like what's the chip count over, say, the last 50 years ? ? ?

Hint: 11 - 6

And Finals' appearances since then ? ? ?

Hint: 19 - 9

==

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Posted by: neophyte
Date: February 29, 2020 06:14AM
RgrF
It's a variation called MERSA.

I think you mean MERS, which indeed is caused by a coronavirus, and not MRSA, or methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus, a bacterium.
Posted by: SteveO
Date: February 29, 2020 08:33AM
Sorry to hear this RgrF but glad you're doing better. Yes, it's all very serious and it can return once you have it. Well said.
Posted by: mspace
Date: February 29, 2020 08:57AM
Glad you are ok and thank you for sharing your valuable experience.

Curious if taking the antibiotics doesn't make you susceptible to other things and/or can the virus itself develop a resistance to them within you?
Posted by: JoeM
Date: February 29, 2020 09:13AM
My gosh it sounds horrible. Glad you made it though that ordeal but sorry that you are now saddled with the aftermath that you describe. Thanks for the warning and information. I am having some immune system issues so I'm trying to get up to speed with educating myself on proper precautions to take as this situation unfolds.

JoeM
Posted by: Janit
Date: February 29, 2020 10:55AM
I don’t disagree with your take-home lesson (ie take this new virus very seriously) but you are confusing MRSA and MERS.

You had MRSA, which is a bacterial infection (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus). MRSA is commonly caught in hospitals and is hard to treat because of its resistance to common antibiotics. It is therefore treated with more powerful and exotic antibiotics.

MERS (Middle East Respiratory Syndrome) is a completely different illness and can not be treated by antibiotics at all. It is caused by the MERS Coronavirus (MERS-CoV). MERS CoV appears to be much more deadly than the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV), but so far it has been well contained.

Stay safe.

[www.cdc.gov]
Date: February 29, 2020 11:23AM
You're right, I conflated the two. The real purpose of my post was to emphasize the recurring nature of infections and danger that comes from thinking that they may be one and done.

Guess I should fix my lede once I think of something snappier.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: February 29, 2020 02:29PM
I remember when you posted about the aortic aneurysm awhile ago, RgrF. I was concerned and amazed that you survived it. When you disappeared for a bit, I wondered if you hadn't had more issues with your condition. Glad you survived in one piece and hope you can get beyond the MERS (or whatever) problem.

I'm familiar with aortic aneurysms as my Pop has dealt with it for over 20 years. He was seeing a vascular surgeon twice a year, with the surgeon telling him he was too small, and had to throw him back. Well, it finally grew to the point he needed surgery a year ago January and it was a total success. In surgery for about an hour, with excellent results and no side effects. It scared the bejeasus out of me, when I learned how dangerous it was.

A bit more lucky than yourself.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 29, 2020 04:20PM
RgrF
Hi Russ...

How do you get along in the amiable environs of Cali with your acerbic Massholiness? Do you still get funny looks?
Date: February 29, 2020 05:27PM
You just pick your spots. On the exterior Vision is an amiable mild mannered pleasant guy while underneath all that he's actually as soft as a marshmallow and tough as a Teddy Bear (except when you mention Bernie)

Excepting college areas most people back there are from there, out here most are from elsewhere. BB fans are use to it since the Celts travel better than almost any other team. Visited arenas always have a fair representation - in some places it's almost 50/50.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: February 29, 2020 09:49PM
Janit, thanks for clarifying. I thought Roger was talking about MERS, which I thought was pretty much confined to the Middle East. It had a high mortality rate, which did not make it a good candidate for 'community' transmission (bugs that kill off their hosts too quickly don't tend to get established in the population). The new carona virus, Covid-19, is more like the common cold or influenza, persists in its hosts, and so is easily transmitted.

Roger, I must have missed your bout with the aneurysm. Glad to hear you survived. My doctor had me undertake a scan for possible aortic aneurysm, which thankfully proved negative.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 11am Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Date: March 01, 2020 03:54AM
RgrF
You just pick your spots. On the exterior Vision is an amiable mild mannered pleasant guy while underneath all that he's actually as soft as a marshmallow and tough as a Teddy Bear (except when you mention Bernie)

Excepting college areas most people back there are from there, out here most are from elsewhere. BB fans are use to it since the Celts travel better than almost any other team. Visited arenas always have a fair representation - in some places it's almost 50/50.

He knows me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 111
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020