advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
For those (like me) having trouble finding hand sanitizer ... make your own!
Posted by: PeterB
Date: March 01, 2020 10:23PM
... as of tonight, both my local Walgreens and Lowes are out. A little surprising because most people here seem not that concerned about the virus.

Anyway, this got me to thinking ... I have access to tons of alcohol (95%) at work, and anyway you can buy it at Walgreens (there was tons of it there) ... so why not make your own hand sanitizer gel?

It looks like, from a quick Googling, that people are just using 2 parts 95% alcohol (ethanol or isopropyl alcohol) to 1 part aloe vera gel. Add a few drops of your favorite essential oil if you are so inclined. (If you're crazy like me, you'll use any of the oils with antibacterial, antiviral, or antifungal properties ... good choices like tea tree, peppermint, or thyme, all of which smell great.) Oh, and also, the publications seem to suggest that ethanol is better than isopropanol in terms of killing these nasty viruses.

Lastly, it's worth mentioning that the formulas containing benzalkonium chloride seem to be just as effective as the ones containing ethanol. Likewise, if you're willing to go with a spray rather than a gel, there is lots of stuff out there that will kill these viruses ... my favorite being hydrogen peroxide, which is super-cheap and highly effective. I saw tons of spray bottles of hydrogen peroxide at Walgreens.

Also, if anyone is curious about a list of effective cleaners, there are a ton of 'em: [www.americanchemistry.com]

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2020 10:26PM by PeterB.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: For those (like me) having trouble finding hand sanitizer ... make your own!
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 01, 2020 10:34PM
Thanks!

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Re: For those (like me) having trouble finding hand sanitizer ... make your own!
Posted by: Acer
Date: March 01, 2020 10:53PM
How about bourbon?
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 01, 2020 11:01PM
topical application, not internal Acer. Now, if your blood alcohol level is high enough, I'm sure there is some level of protection.
Date: March 01, 2020 11:22PM
I'll likely pick up some of the ingredients I need to mix up my own stuff on the way home tomorrow night, and will report the results ... honestly, the only thing I'm missing is the aloe vera gel, otherwise I could mix up buckets of the stuff...

Posted by: davester
Date: March 01, 2020 11:48PM
it's more effective just to wash your hands properly and thoroughly with soap, followed by a 30 second rinse and complete dry.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: March 02, 2020 12:02AM
davester
it's more effective just to wash your hands properly and thoroughly with soap, followed by a 30 second rinse and complete dry.

Of course. But when you're exposed to someone who is sneezing and/or handling things that you might also be handling in a public setting, good luck getting to a bathroom.

Posted by: Dennis S
Date: March 02, 2020 12:15AM
Soak a rag with alcohol or peroxide and carry it in a ziplock bag in the car. It may not cover you 100% but it will in lots of cases.
Posted by: Michael
Date: March 02, 2020 04:52AM
We're flying today and so yesterday we went to Walmart looking for hand sanitizer. We think we found the last 2 bottles of Purell in pocket size in the store since the checker told us that all of them were at the checkouts and we went to all of them. We also bought some travel packs of antiseptic wipes for chair arms, etc. and a large refill of the sanitizer stuff. We filled a 3 oz bottle and stuck it in our carry-on to refill the pocket ones.

My bet is that we'll forget to use all of it and we'll be fine!
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 02, 2020 05:25AM
I'm taking a quart of Hydrogen Peroxide with me to school. I just put a spray head directly on the bottle. We start state testing today and will be moving students through computer stations. My plan is to quickly mist the keyboard and mouse as each finish. At $1/qt it was pretty much the cheapest effective solution, I could find. Vinegar or bleach would have worked but both give off a strong odor.

I'm not so much worried about Covid at this time, just flu/cold in general. I have to handle they workstations after them, and students are terrible about hygiene.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: March 02, 2020 06:38AM
Be cautious with your keyboards unless they're sealed. Hope your mist is very fine. Perhaps spray your wiping cloth and then rubdown the keyboards?

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2020 06:40AM by WHiiP.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 02, 2020 07:39AM
....can you use the sanitizer on 'other' body parts......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: March 02, 2020 08:06AM
Thanks PeterB !

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 02, 2020 08:11AM
Will hydrogen peroxide work? Also, if it's not bacteria, how does an anti bacterial work against it?
Posted by: d4
Date: March 02, 2020 08:15AM
Purell brand sanitizer is sold out at every local b/m place I've visited over the weekend in NYC. Generic store brands are available though.

You might have luck at office supply stores like OfficeDepot or Staples instead of typical pharmacy, drug store, supermarket, target, -mart type places.

Date: March 02, 2020 08:27AM
mrbigstuff
Will hydrogen peroxide work? Also, if it's not bacteria, how does an anti bacterial work against it?

Hydrogen peroxide destroys/damages pretty much anything ... protein, DNA, RNA, etc.

[en.wikipedia.org]
[en.wikipedia.org]

Antibacterial stuff won't work against viruses, but stuff labeled as "antimicrobial" might, and basically anything that destroys the virus' lipid envelope or protein or RNA should work...

More environmentally friendly than bleach, since it breaks down to H2O and O2, and won't damage fabrics... in fact it will remove stains.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2020 08:34AM by PeterB.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: March 02, 2020 09:08AM
PeterB
mrbigstuff

Hydrogen peroxide destroys/damages pretty much anything ... protein, DNA, RNA, etc.

[en.wikipedia.org]
[en.wikipedia.org]

Antibacterial stuff won't work against viruses, but stuff labeled as "antimicrobial" might, and basically anything that destroys the virus' lipid envelope or protein or RNA should work...

More environmentally friendly than bleach, since it breaks down to H2O and O2, and won't damage fabrics... in fact it will remove stains.

Will it protect against STD's?
Date: March 02, 2020 09:11AM
......only if one 'double bags it'......??

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: March 02, 2020 09:49AM
Can I use jello shots as hand sanitizer if they were made with everclear/190 proof? This way I can lick it off after rubbing over my hands for 30 seconds.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: March 02, 2020 09:56AM
You can also make your own Hydrogen Peroxide (or 'OxiClean'). Just get some
Sodium Percarbonate and add 1oz to a pint of distilled/purified water.
One byproduct (harmless) is soda ash, a water softening agent.
I make mine in a clean, recycled water bottle, tightly capped, & stored in the fridge.

Sodium Percarbonate UNCOATED 99% min purity can be found @ bezosville for
$16.50 + FS for Five Pounds (makes a hell-of-a-lot of H2O2)

Uses & formulations for Sodium Percarbonate (small PDF files):
[www.chemistrystore.com]
[www.chemistrystore.com]

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo

includes:

patriot smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2020 09:06PM by MrNoBody.
Date: March 02, 2020 04:24PM
....what about hand mouth.......disease.....???

Date: March 02, 2020 08:59PM
Is there an cheap & easy way to test how strong your H2O2 is?

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: March 02, 2020 10:48PM
Filliam H. Muffman

Yes, read the bottle. It should be printed on the front. grinning smiley

But seriously, you can drop some on a potato slice, if it fizzes, it's still active.

Date: March 02, 2020 11:05PM
Filliam H. Muffman

Outside of a lab, the easiest method to determine percentage (strength) is to use
test strips. 2-10%, Food Grade: 50 strips $19.50 @ bezosville Free Ship w/ Prime.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo

includes:

patriot smiley
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 03, 2020 09:50AM
Good info here. Think I'm going to try some of this, mostly out of curiosity and also bc I like making my own stuff
Date: March 03, 2020 01:00PM
mrbigstuff
Good info here. Think I'm going to try some of this, mostly out of curiosity and also bc I like making my own stuff

Yep, same here, that's why I posted. I think, why not mix up gallons of hand sanitizer; it keeps fine, then just dispense as needed.

Date: March 03, 2020 01:40PM
MrNoBody
Filliam H. Muffman

Outside of a lab, the easiest method to determine percentage (strength) is to use
test strips. 2-10%, Food Grade: 50 strips $19.50 @ bezosville Free Ship w/ Prime.

Thank you! smiling smiley That gave me info to find low strength solution testing. The idea was sterilizing food prep (beer making) without rinsing.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 90
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020