advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
any track saw adherents on here?
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 05, 2020 06:19PM
I've been wanting to build a couple of bookshelves and a clothes storage unit for... ever. I'd need a track to cover an 8' length of ply, I guess.

Can you recommend a saw, and anyone who has experience using one, I'd be happy to hear advice for a first-time user.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: any track saw adherents on here?
Posted by: kledo
Date: March 05, 2020 06:26PM
Absolutely.

Great tool(s). I built our kitchen cabinets and an entire library with an early iteration. Festool makes a great unit, I hear. Mine was from the mid-2000 and made by a guy named Dino (a carpenter who saw a need and mass produced one out of his garage in NJ).

My advise to you is to set up some sacrificial 2X4's on saw horses and cut your plywood on them.

Any specific questions, let me know.

--Kledo
Posted by: steve...
Date: March 05, 2020 06:48PM
You can make a jig out of scraps for a circular saw that works pretty well. Glue/screw a straight edge for at fence on a wider piece, then make a cut. You can then line up the cut edge with a line on what ever you're cutting.

Northern California Coast
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 05, 2020 06:58PM
steve...
You can make a jig out of scraps for a circular saw that works pretty well. Glue/screw a straight edge for at fence on a wider piece, then make a cut. You can then line up the cut edge with a line on what ever you're cutting.

This is essentially what I have been doing. But even any "slight variations" to expensive plywood is a no-go, so I think I would rather spend the cash on a track saw. I could buy used and sell it again if I find I'm done with it.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: March 05, 2020 07:21PM
I’ve used a standard circular saw I already owned and an aluminum guide set (I bought many years ago), and the combo has worked out just fine.

Similar to this [www.amazon.com]
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: March 05, 2020 07:34PM
steve...

This. Works great, especially when out in the field. We made these all the time when I was an industrial carpenter.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 05, 2020 07:59PM
Yeah, they sell the metal guides at all the big box, just get the size you need.

Have you thought about some ikea hack bookcases/cabinets/whatever to use as a base?

[www.ikeahackers.net]

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 100
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020