advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Not a huge fan of Styx....
Posted by: Rolando
Date: March 07, 2020 10:46AM
And I wanted to post a snarky comment about this not being the LSO, but damn these kids are so talented, it actually brought a tear to my eye...

Tommy Shaw - Fooling Yourself (The Angry Young Man) (Live)
[www.youtube.com]

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Not a huge fan of Styx....
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 07, 2020 11:19AM
I can't stand Styx, but that was pretty good.

Mischievous and Deceitful
Chicanerous and Deplorable
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: March 07, 2020 11:22AM
Rolando
And I wanted to post a snarky comment about this not being the LSO, but damn these kids are so talented, it actually brought a tear to my eye...

Tommy Shaw - Fooling Yourself (The Angry Young Man) (Live)
[www.youtube.com]

Not a fan either..but, that was really fun..the lights really come on when that chorus jumps out...so great.

Styx was local to us and it was always sort of a joke..inner city kids hated Styx...Suburban kids loved Styx..
It was a broad stroke but it held pretty well.

I was at wedding a while back.. music industry peeps, The founder of Styx, Dennis De Young and his wife were there...seriously lovely, nice people. Was nice to see that,,
Big wedding on a boat on Lake Michigan..after the boat re-docked and the crowd thinned and the die hards were left..Dennis De Young cozied up to the piano in the bar area on the boat and demonstrated 'why' he hit the charts...
He played a bunch of Styx tunes and then took cover requests...he could pretty much play anything..and if he was puzzled on the music and knew the lyrics...he improvised..Im here to say that this guy is so damn talented..and im not a Styx fan..talent is talent...and thos Styx songs never sounded better with just him doing it.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 07, 2020 11:24AM
.....pick up.....Styx.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 07, 2020 11:31AM
Your Dennis De Young story - amazing. Wish I had been there, as I AM a Styx fan.

Reminded me of our favorite McCartney concert - it was the first concert on the second half of a tour, right after he had taken a break. He and his band were well practiced AND rested. Was in the Excel Energy Center, an awesome acoustic venue. We would have enjoyed being there with just Sir Paul and his guitar the entire time... He played a set solo, and I wish we could have had that recording,
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: March 07, 2020 11:38AM
sekker
Your Dennis De Young story - amazing. Wish I had been there, as I AM a Styx fan.

Reminded me of our favorite McCartney concert - it was the first concert on the second half of a tour, right after he had taken a break. He and his band were well practiced AND rested. Was in the Excel Energy Center, an awesome acoustic venue. We would have enjoyed being there with just Sir Paul and his guitar the entire time... He played a set solo, and I wish we could have had that recording,

it's weird these days how many of 'those' recording are out there...have you ever tried to search it?
Date: March 07, 2020 11:54AM
Kraniac
sekker

it's weird these days how many of 'those' recording are out there...have you ever tried to search it?

Great idea. If I could find that, that would be an awesome spouse gift!
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 07, 2020 11:59AM
Yes, I can completely believe that deYoung is very talented, even if the music is not to my liking. I'm surrounded by a pool of very talented people, and I don't always like their music, but I do love watching them "perform."

Mischievous and Deceitful
Chicanerous and Deplorable
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: March 07, 2020 12:05PM
When I moved to my current town, Styx played a show in the gym for almost nothing. A couple of weeks later, their first record hit the radio.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: March 07, 2020 01:08PM
Big fan of Styx from my high school days. Saw them live in New Orleans back in the early 80s, right around a big flood time; they postponed one of their shows -- they did 5 at the Saenger Theater, then (at least) the most beautiful theater in the US. Same tour where they recorded their Caught In The Act show as I recall. I believe this was the Mr. Roboto tour.

Later years; I'm liking the Tommy Shaw-led Styx. Really liked a few of their iTunes EPs and recent live concerts (where they re-create one of the classic albums).

Shaw's Shaw Blades album "Influence" (duo with Jack Blades of Night Ranger) is one of my regular re-listens.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2020 01:10PM by Zoidberg.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: March 07, 2020 01:16PM
NewtonMP2100
.....pick up.....Styx.....??

You mean 'Don't put down Styx'?
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: March 07, 2020 02:13PM
I wonder how many of those kids knew what Styx was.

Posted by: Fritz
Date: March 07, 2020 02:31PM
not my cup of tea neither, but cool orchestra and accolades Liza Grossman & CYO.
I think I have "Lady" on Wooden Nickel, but after that, I only had room in my head for Brit overcooked bands.
Moodies, Floyd, Strawbs, Renaissance, Genesis, Tull, ELO, ELP, GG, Yes, Crimson, etc.
Most of whom I can only listen to their 1st 3 LPs, then most of them start to blather.

!#$@@$#!

proofraed by OwEn the c@t.

Nobody remembers their first download, but everyone remembers their 1st LP.
Posted by: hal
Date: March 07, 2020 03:15PM
I'm not a fan either... didn't watch
Date: March 07, 2020 03:22PM
PS I think Styx 'The Grand Illusion' is a classic example of an album worth listening as an event, not each song separately.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: March 07, 2020 06:14PM
hal
I'm not a fan either... didn't watch

It really is worth the 5 min of your life.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: March 08, 2020 12:12PM
Anybody who's been a successful performer for that long is probably pretty good at it. Even if you don't like their materiel, the odds are pretty good that you'll be entertained by them at least for a while.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 08, 2020 06:14PM
finding this has made my weekend. I'm trying to get the DVD for the whole concert, and I believe Dennis DeYoung did something similar in 2005?.

The look of joy and engagement from so many of the performers is awesome.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 08, 2020 06:40PM
....so they just....Styx....in your crawl.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 387
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020