advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I Have Joined The Pod Cult
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: March 10, 2020 09:57PM
I finally joined the AirPod cult. I am not sure why I waited so long. I guess it was the price.

But with an $80 store credit to use, I went ahead and ordered the basic version.

The most difficult part is removing the shrink-wrap from the package.

Once unboxed, the setup literally took 10 seconds. I put them in my ears and pushed play. They are comfortable and sound great. They never fell out while working in the garden.

I've owned one other set of wireless headphones and they were a total PITA. So for the last 4 years, I've continued to use wired Skullcandy buds, even resorting to using the dongle.

This is Apple working the way Apple use to always work. Simple.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I Have Joined The Pod Cult
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 10, 2020 10:02PM
....can you hear me.....now....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: March 10, 2020 11:26PM
I can't do it..I've flirted with it but the sound quality compared to mini jack is not great..i use the phone to check music mixes im working on and the difference is humungous..bluetooth has to go through another compression process and then a decompression process to get this sound into your ears..the degredation is very noticeable.

USB is better but it has to have a another round of DA conversion before your ears..all of these degrade sound..

Mini jack for me with the damn wire..
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 10, 2020 11:41PM
I won't buy one until I can lose one without giving a @#$%&.

Posted by: Kraniac
Date: March 10, 2020 11:50PM
mattkime

This is another huge point for me as well.
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 11, 2020 01:11AM
mattkime

Even my 15 year old daughter hasnt lost one, and her nickname is "spilly" -- she drops and seems to misplace everything... =)

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: March 11, 2020 01:18AM
Something I read and can't bring up is telling me that these are not environmentally friendly, is that a real thing?
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 11, 2020 01:32AM
RgrF
Something I read and can't bring up is telling me that these are not environmentally friendly, is that a real thing?

In what way?

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: March 11, 2020 01:45AM
Hense my question.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 11, 2020 04:37AM
I finally joined the AirPod cult. I am not sure why I waited so long. I guess it was the price.

But with an $80 store credit to use, I went ahead and ordered the basic version.

I love mine.

They were pricey so I waited until B&H had a sale and no tax.

No BT 'buds are really satisfactory for critical listening, though some come closer than others.

But I love that there's no cord. That's huge. So for casual knockabout listening, they're quite good.

I can wear them all day, and often forget I have them in, even after I'm done listening.

A friend got a pair and called me up to help him pair them to his iPhone. I went over, and very carefully walked him through the process.

'Unlock your phone. Open the 'Pods case, Hal. Now press that button.' He was surprised and impressed.

Unfortunately, AirPods Pro hurt my ears in less than half and hour. I tried everything but had to send them back. It might be the elliptical base of the silicone buds. I'd like the isolation of them, but no joy.

So I'm good with the APs 2, especially now that one can 'Hey, Siri..' with them.

To a large degree, I'd say yes.

The batteries aren't replaceable so these are disposable.

You have to destroy them to remove the batteries.

This is true of 99% of their competition.

I don't know that you can recycle much of them when they're done.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: March 11, 2020 05:27AM
The first gen AirPods are unreliable. My 16yo, now 17yo daughter has gone through two complete sets and now a pod is failing again. When I say has gone through, I mean each piece has been replaced at different times throughout the warranty period, including the charging case. She is not one to abuse them, but she uses them quite often. The issue usually is that one or the other starts losing volume, and they have also stopped charging properly.

I don't think the replacements carry a warranty on them, do they? With the earpiece failing again, she may be needing to buy a new set. If so, we may consider Bose, though the Genius Bar Apple tech says he hasn't seen these problems with the gen 2 Airpods.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: March 11, 2020 08:46AM
jdc
mattkime

Even my 15 year old daughter hasnt lost one, and her nickname is "spilly" -- she drops and seems to misplace everything... =)

Yep. My daughter passed the one-year point without losing hers.

The charging case was stolen once, but I got one on flea-bay for about $20.

She came close to losing them once. I found them in the refrigerator. She had left them in her lunchbag.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: March 11, 2020 11:09AM
Mrs. Zealand and I each have a pair of AirPods and they're great. Haven't lost any and everything working after about 9 months for me, a little less for the Mrs. I use them for mostly voice and they get about 45-60 min use each day. My only concern is that with only using 1 hour of the 5 they can run, I'm running the battery down to 80% or higher and then charging it back up to 100% again, which will eventually result in a reduced lifespan but there's no real way around that.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 11, 2020 11:15AM
....eventually, the battery will fail and it can't be replaced....so 'disposable'.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 11, 2020 04:54PM
My only concern is that with only using 1 hour of the 5 they can run, I'm running the battery down to 80% or higher and then charging it back up to 100% again, which will eventually result in a reduced lifespan but there's no real way around that.

The only option would be to leave them out of the case so they don't charge, but there's still a parasitic drain. Who knows if that's worse than the constant charging cycle.

But what is worse is constantly using all that run time until one gets the low battery warning. Running them down to low battery levels and recharging depletes the battery much sooner.

My first set (Gen 1) is two years old now, and one 'Pod drops to ~18% in about an hour while the other is at 50%.

I'm hoping my second set (gen 2) does better in parity.

Specifically, both 'Pods being at ~50% at the end of two years and not the other way 'round.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 393
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020