Posted by: srf1957
Date: March 13, 2020 10:38AM
newser.

Just have to get somewhere .
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Why the virus speread won't stop
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: March 13, 2020 11:11AM
When the incubation period is (approx) 14 days from exposure to symptoms, this is going to happen continuously. We haven't begun to see the peak of this spread.

Fingers crossed that the summer months help - heat historically stems the spread of influenza type viruses including traditional coronavirus, but COVID-19 is a new animal, so we'll see.

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: March 13, 2020 11:20AM
This virus is one sneaky sucker. I have never seen anything like this. Be well, be safe.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: March 13, 2020 11:50AM
srf1957
newser.

Just have to get somewhere .

Great example of why we now have to count on each other to do the right thing voluntarily. Before the airports have to be closed.
Posted by: Buck
Date: March 13, 2020 11:54AM
The virus of media-led panic is far greater. They have to stop scaring people.

[nypost.com]

More than 18,000 Americans have died from this season’s generic flu so far, according to the latest data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In 2018, the CDC estimated, there were 80,000 flu deaths. That’s against 19 coronavirus deaths so far, from about 470 cases.

Worldwide, there have been about 3,400 coronavirus deaths, out of about 100,000 identified cases. Flu, by comparison, grimly reaps about 291,000 to 646,000 annually.

China is the origin of the virus and still accounts for over 80 percent of cases and deaths. But its cases peaked and began ­declining more than a month ago, according to data presented by the Canadian epidemiologist who spearheaded the World Health Organization’s coronavirus mission to China. Fewer than 200 new cases are reported daily, down from a peak of 4,000.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: March 13, 2020 12:01PM
The Chinese slowed the spread of the disease by instituting draconian measures to keep people away from each other. Italy is attempting the same. This will need to happen in each affected country to reduce this thing to a low level of cases.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: March 13, 2020 12:07PM
The seasonal flu is not comparable to covid-19 yet, that will need to wait until next year. The flu is extant *everywhere* on the planet, it has already spread and we are well aware of it's pattern of spread and virulence each year. Covid-19 is barely anywhere on the planet yet and we're still determining it's pattern of spread, which is why everyone is so concerned. And the fatality rate seems to be 2-10x that of the flu. Of course that just gives the news a reason to scare everyone for the sake of ratings... RollingEyesSmiley5
Posted by: RgrF
Date: March 13, 2020 12:16PM
Check your sources, the NY Post is sleazy tabloid, not a reliable news source.
Date: March 13, 2020 12:30PM
There we go again. Name calling. Is that all your got? No comment about the content?
OK I'll fix it for you:
NY Times is sleazy tabloid, not a reliable news source.
Washington Post is sleazy tabloid, not a reliable news source.
CNN is sleazy tabloid, not a reliable news source.
MSNBC is sleazy tabloid, not a reliable news source.
And many more.

Where were they during the swine flu? They praised Obama, even though he didn't act until 1000 people had died. Why didn't that admin prepare us for the next virus? Where was the media panic?
Because they had "their" prez in office, and were promoting Obamacare.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: March 13, 2020 12:31PM
Buck
More than 18,000 Americans have died from this season’s generic flu so far, according to the latest data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In 2018, the CDC estimated, there were 80,000 flu deaths. That’s against 19 coronavirus deaths so far, from about 470 cases.

Worldwide, there have been about 3,400 coronavirus deaths, out of about 100,000 identified cases. Flu, by comparison, grimly reaps about 291,000 to 646,000 annually.

If infection rates reach the levels anticipated by epidemiologists and public health officials in the U.S., we could easily have 1.5 million Covid-19 deaths by the end of the current pandemic.

Current reported infections and illness in the U.S. are woefully out of date and incomplete. The current effort to slow infection spread is not panic-driven; it's based on the science of community transmission.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: March 13, 2020 12:34PM
The disease is on the decline in China. Great news, from World Health Organization, not from the Communist state media.
Next, Iran and Italy will show the same. And the US is not far behind.
Also, the warm season is almost here, though I'm not sure in Seattle.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: March 13, 2020 12:43PM
OK, Buck - I'm still going to take the word of WHO officials (not just cherry-picked stats from their reports) and the CDC, all of whom say this is going to get much worse before it abates.

But I admire your optimism, and sense of calm. Stay safe.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: davester
Date: March 13, 2020 12:58PM
Buck
The disease is on the decline in China. Great news, from World Health Organization, not from the Communist state media.
Next, Iran and Italy will show the same. And the US is not far behind.
Also, the warm season is almost here, though I'm not sure in Seattle.

Please provide citations for these statements. I don't believe any of them are true (except for the warm season statement). What is actually happening is that the rate of spread is being decreased by using draconian measures (i.e. locking entire populations up). This is definitely NOT the same thing as "the disease is on the decline". The purpose of the draconian measures is to slow the infection rate to avoid overwhelming health facilities beyond their ability to treat patients in the short term and with the hope that a vaccine can be developed to innoculate people as they become exposed later on. This is a pandemic with no current known vaccine and no herd immunity. It will continue to spread. All we can do is to try to spread out the impacts over time so that there will be enough functioning health facilities to treat those who have severe reactions to the virus.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Ammo
Date: March 13, 2020 12:58PM
Great article about what lies ahead from the Washington Post (written by a scientist!):

[www.startribune.com]

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: Sam3
Date: March 13, 2020 02:13PM
Wow! How to quickly politicize this post and probably get it tossed to the other side. Nice move, Buck.

I guess from now on, we'll have to go to the other side to get info on the SARS-CoV-2 as just the mention of it is tending to make it polarizing and political. Sheesh, I thought we were adults here.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Date: March 13, 2020 02:41PM
Hey Sam, I didn't start it. Just responded.
Posted by: August West
Date: March 13, 2020 04:29PM
F'in clueless. Ok, Boomer.

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: Steve G.
Date: March 14, 2020 06:30AM
1) It's an opinion piece
2) The New York Post is owned by Rupert Murdoch.
In short:
3) This is the excat equivalent of one of those opinion pieces you can see on Fox News. Same owner. Same policies. Same type of opinioners.

Sorry, Buck, New York Post opinion pieces are often based on vapor. (Read Michael Godwin's screeds for example)
Posted by: Janit
Date: March 16, 2020 01:22PM
Steve G.
1) It's an opinion piece
2) The New York Post is owned by Rupert Murdoch.
In short:
3) This is the excat equivalent of one of those opinion pieces you can see on Fox News. Same owner. Same policies. Same type of opinioners.

Sorry, Buck, New York Post opinion pieces are often based on vapor. (Read Michael Godwin's screeds for example)

Furthermore, the author of the article is an attorney, not an epidemiologist.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 80
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020