advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
So We Went To Our Local Kroger Today--Results Plus A Semi Mild Rant
Posted by: jh
Date: March 19, 2020 12:40AM
Since we did not join the hoard mentality we wanted to pick up some items knowing the publicized toilet paper, sanitizer, etc. would probably not be on the shelves.

Boy, the shelves at this store were wiped out. Milk, eggs, cheese, canned goods, laundry soap, toilet paper, sanitizer, sanitizer soap, no bread, little if any fresh meat, no frozen meat no fresh seafood, bottled water, potato chips, some OTC medicines, the list goes on.

One clerk had one box of toilet paper and was going around asking the senior citizens if they needed one package. We got our package as we are two senior citizens. :-)

Fortunately, we were able to get most of what we needed. It looked like some management from say the district office was helping stock some of the items.

So I was talking to a clerk about the crazy buying spree that happened or is happening. He told me he and other employees saw it coming almost at the beginning of the buying madness. People were buying cart loads of toilet paper, canned goods then almost anything. He stated several employees told management of their concern and that they should be limiting the amount of certain items then a lot of items customers could buy or the shelves would be empty with no hope of restocking at that time. Did not listen or could not listen he said.

I hope these stores do what we use to call in our public schools IT department where I worked before retiring a "lessons learned".

They should have seen this coming and/or tried to get a handle on the situation before it got out of hand.

My 2 cents.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: So We Went To Our Local Kroger Today--Results Plus A Semi Mild Rant
Posted by: AllGold
Date: March 19, 2020 01:33AM
Kroger upper management apparently does not listen to anyone about anything ever. In some of the local stores here, all cooler and freezer lights, most of the peripheral lights and even some of the overhead lights are on a timer and automatically turn off at 10pm, while the store remains open until midnight--at least it did before Kroger reduced their hours due to the coronavirus. This is a problem at only a portion of the stores; in others the lights stay on appropriately. The management at the stores have no control over this, it is controlled by corporate headquarters.

I have been trying literally for years to get them to keep the damn lights on in the store while it is open to no avail.

Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: March 19, 2020 01:34AM
Absolutely.....they definitely needed to enforce buying limits.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 19, 2020 02:20AM
I was glad to see Costco doing enforcing buying limits.

Well, there were exceptions.

I couldn't find any of their Madeleine cookies.

Then I saw a container is a woman's cart and kind of startled her when my surprise got the better of me.

While I didn't snatch them out of her cart, she told me they were at the front of the store by the entrance.

There were a couple of pallets stacked high. I reached around the fence and grabbed a couple. Some rep or something in a shirt and tie said 'You like carrot cake?' and I saw a couple of pallets stacked high with these mini bundt cake four-packs.

Who doesn't like carrot cake. Costco used to have a six carrot cake muffin container and they were delicious! So I grabbed a four pack and he said 'Take two!' So I did.

FYI- they're only ok. Not nearly as good as the muffins, but still quite serviceable.

My Safeway was out of all manner of eggs. Not a one left.

I might have picked some up at Costco, but I just don't have the room for a flat of eggs and there two gallon packs of milk.

I'll go back on Friday and see if there's anything there I need/want.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Fred_Also
Date: March 19, 2020 08:00AM
We had good luck finding some items at Dollar General. My wife had a Dr appointment & there was a DG across the street. We got some snacks, cookies, Cheetos, etc. Dog food, a couple of frozen dinners, some can goods. There were no sanitary wipes or TP.

The good thing there was no crowd of people, about 4 or 5 max.

Fred
Posted by: Acer
Date: March 19, 2020 08:42AM
Now we're to the point where people not inclined to hoard (or try to turn a fast buck) feel compelled to at least stockpile more than they normally would.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 19, 2020 09:03AM
My observation of this situation goes like this:
1 - Some folks realize that it's going to get crazy, and decide to take it as a 'business opportunity' (price gouging). And "Invest" in sanitizer, toilet paper, etc...
2 - A few warehouse type stores get stripped by these knobs. The media picks up on it and thinks "Hey, we can sell advertising. It's a PANIC !".
3- People watching the media suddenly think... dayum I'd better get enough for three months ! And panic buy.
4- Stores are stripped even further and the media doubles down on the panic.
5- Stores suddenly realize that they can't sustain this level of sales with their supply chain, and start restricting sales.
6- With restrictions, people panic even more.

Wash, rinse, repeat....

Oh, and the rumors that this stuff is made in China ? Nope. Mostly made in the US. And US manufacturers are going into overdrive.

It's great for the sanitizer business.. that stuff is getting consumed like crazy.

But it will hurt the paper goods industry because COVID-19 is NOT a @#$%& storm... that garage full of TP that Aunt Ida has means she wont need to buy any more for five years. Expect the manufacturers to be pooped out in six months.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: March 19, 2020 09:36AM
I went grocery shopping last friday and everything was in stock except toilet paper. Our state enacted some restrictions sunday so monday morning I popped in to beat the rush. No such luck. All the food categories you mentioned were wiped out or very low. Yesterday my mother-in-law asked me to find toilet paper for her (she didn't think the rush was a real thing) and I went to five stores before finding a few rolls of bamboo tp. My wife got excited and bought 24 rolls of 1000 sheets for $46 online.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: pinion
Date: March 19, 2020 09:58AM
Doing ok here as far as things go but yeah Kroger was wiped out when I went a few days ago. I wish people wouldn't panic.... I've got 4 kids to feed and it was a struggle to find stuff. We aren't starving though and the school near us is doing free lunch if we need to go that route but for now things are fine. I just hope the hoarding stops soon and shelves can get stocked.

---“What you permit, you promote. What you allow, you encourage. What you condone, you own.”
Posted by: norse
Date: March 19, 2020 10:31AM
Going to the grocery stores is like being in a Third World Country.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 19, 2020 10:47AM
.....went last week......all the stuff above was out.....shelves empty......went back this Wednesday when they normally 'restock' and same thing.......

.....all the 'essential' stuff was still out.......they restocked non-essential stuff like bakery items but a lot of the frozen food aisle was empty.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Ammo
Date: March 19, 2020 10:58AM
This may get moved to the other side, but I think the government should mandate limited purchases of critical items. I know this wouldn’t be 100% effective, but perhaps it would discourage it and remind people that they’re not the only one who is in need.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: bfd
Date: March 19, 2020 02:21PM
Date: March 19, 2020 03:49PM
All the stores are cutting back hours "to better serve our customers". Supposedly so they can restock the shelves.

Now nothing is open 24 hours so I can't do my grocery shopping at 3am. It just means the stores will be that much more crowded during the limited hours they're open.

Date: March 19, 2020 05:15PM
Looks like my wife got scammed. Web company took her $46 and folded up shop. Working on a refund thru paypal.

[colquhoun.info]
Date: March 19, 2020 06:44PM
davemchine
Looks like my wife got scammed. Web company took her $46 and folded up shop. Working on a refund thru paypal.

angry villagers smiley

Posted by: Don C
Date: March 19, 2020 11:10PM
Our Kroger had a LOT of empty shelves yesterday evening. Got all the fruit and the pet food that I wanted but TP was out. We are maybe 10 days away from that being a problem. What IS a problem is the lack of Deli chocolate chip cookies. Wife really likes those and she is down to ONE cookie as of tonight. We do have some other cookies, but those are the ones she likes. I'll have to make a run in the morning and see if I can find some.

Gotta think that the hoarders will have their fill soon and we can get back to normal supply. (Assuming that we will be allowed to go shopping!)
Date: March 20, 2020 10:34AM
Betty Crocker has a really good chocolate chip cookie recipe. :-) I add a sprinkle of white chocolate chips to spruce them up.

[colquhoun.info]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 115
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020