advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Google Hangouts vs Zoom vs iChat vs ?? for video chatting
Posted by: wurm
Date: March 21, 2020 04:32PM
Social distancing. Gotta do it. So what's the best way for myself (Macbook), my wife (Macbook) and my daughter (iPad) to have a video conversation with my son and his wife an hour or so away who are using a Windows PC and/or Android phone?

This week was my first week working remotely and my coworkers and I are liking Zoom. But it's on my work computer with a company account, so unless I want to install it on my personal computer (as well as my wife's and daughter's) that's probably not the best option. I've never used Google Hangouts, but I and my daughter and my son already have GMail accounts. Would that make more sense?

Anything else out there that would be a better option and that wouldn't require installing a lot of unnecessary crap? Thanks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Google Hangouts vs Zoom vs iChat vs ?? for video chatting
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 21, 2020 05:34PM
I've used Zoom without issue but have heard Hangouts can be less than reliable. Installing and signing up for a free (limited) Zoom scenario is pretty painless, but I guess try Hangouts if the setup is already there.
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: March 21, 2020 05:52PM
Zoom is extraordinarily robust. And their free account is identical to their paid account in ever way, except that the free can only do a max of 40 minutes per video conference.

Also get everyone on to WhatsApp. It's become the best in the text/audio/video apps, and for the mac, it has both the phone and laptop apps.

I do video conferencing on both of these throughout each day.

Mac mini (M1 2020, 16G 2T) Big Sur 11.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Posted by: wurm
Date: March 21, 2020 06:06PM
Thanks, all. I think we're going to give Zoom a shot. We'll see how it goes.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: March 21, 2020 07:41PM
Zoom is the best one available. Facetime is a close second if everyone is on Apple.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Bo
Date: March 21, 2020 08:53PM
Buck started a similar thread a couple days ago here: [forums.macresource.com]

I use Hangouts a lot and it has been solid. My more in depth input in the thread linked above.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 78
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020