advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Story in DPReview about my collection: The Shoebox Negatives
Posted by: prymsnap
Date: March 22, 2020 10:41AM
How 'bout a short break from all the crazy? DPReview (aka Digital Photography Review) picked up the story of a collection of negatives I inherited from my dad. Hope you enjoy these candid street scenes from late 1930s/early 1940s Chicago. [www.dpreview.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Story in DPReview about my collection: The Shoebox Negatives
Posted by: hal
Date: March 22, 2020 10:47AM
wow - he was really good - those are some great shots. What a find!
Posted by: davester
Date: March 22, 2020 11:32AM
That is a treasure! Good for you!

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Acer
Date: March 22, 2020 11:32AM
That was wonderful! Thanks for sharing. I inherited my parents' collection of old pics from the same era. Precious few, sadly, especially candids. Cameras just weren't a casual thing in rural Ohio.
Posted by: Wags
Date: March 22, 2020 11:35AM
Fantastic. Kudos for realizing the worth of these and putting in the hard work. Love the website. What's the backstory on Ride or Die? Would you mind if I posted your link on my FB feed?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 22, 2020 11:43AM
.....turning a negative(s).....into a positive(s)......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: March 22, 2020 11:44AM
Wags
What's the backstory on Ride or Die? Would you mind if I posted your link on my FB feed?

Thanks, and I'd be honored if you shared the link.
Once I had the first batch of selects, I felt like I had to categorize them in some way. "Ride or Die" is my way of honoring the little clique of guys who showed up in so many of the photos. Friends 'til the end, or, to quote West Side Story: "Womb to the tomb! Birth to earth!"
Posted by: btfc
Date: March 22, 2020 12:33PM
Fascinating, thanks for sharing this!
Posted by: archipirata
Date: March 22, 2020 03:10PM
Thanks for sharing. Great story and images.

Athens, OH
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: March 22, 2020 03:44PM
I really like seeing old pics like these. Great story behind them too. Thanks for posting. thumbs up

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: chopper
Date: March 22, 2020 06:17PM
Cool project and results for sure.

So, were you really concerned about these photos and nostalgia being "politicized" as per the question from the interviewer?
Date: March 22, 2020 07:11PM
chopper
Cool project and results for sure.

So, were you really concerned about these photos and nostalgia being "politicized" as per the question from the interviewer?

Because nothing is *not* politicized online these days. Yes - it's subversive and unpleasant, but there's no avoiding it. My husband is in charge of social media for a fairly large company, and through his work I've observed that even the most innocuous post will incite somebody, somewhere.

All that craziness makes me appreciate my MacResource family even more ;)
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 23, 2020 10:16AM
That's really great. We have "the suitcase," a small light blue dingy suitcase decades-old. It's the photo archive my mother-in-law assembled, if you can call just tossing pictures haphazardly into a suitcase. It's the one thing we've been tasked with carrying from the house if there's a fire.

I think the suitcase stopped being used in the '80s because her kids' school pictures are pretty much the most recent ones in there.

"One of these days" I'll scan them into the computer but I'd be more likely to just put them into galleries on my existing SmugMug account, assuming no one objects.

I also have what I suspect many people have, boxes and envelopes of mystery negs to cull through.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: March 23, 2020 10:38AM
Fascinating, and some really good shots. I like the one of the fake haircutting act—where were they, in a ship?

You mention negatives of different sizes; was that a medium-format camera your father is holding?

Thanks; glad you're here as well.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 11am Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Date: March 23, 2020 12:18PM
Sure wish I knew the answers! As my father eventually served in the Navy, the haircut image may have been on a ship. Although someone told me those things that look like portholes really aren't. It's a mystery to me.

As for the camera type, the neg sizes are all over the place. All are single shots (not part of a strip). What I really hope is to connect with a local expert who might be able to shed more light on the cameras by looking at the characteristics of the negatives.
Posted by: archipirata
Date: March 23, 2020 01:52PM
Your story has popped up in my facebook feed multiple times today from Petapixel, DPReview, Photobrigade, etc. Good to see it's getting lot's of shares. I adore several of the portraits. Some people just have a knack for visual storytelling and he certainly did.

Athens, OH
Posted by: chopper
Date: March 23, 2020 03:58PM
<<Because nothing is *not* politicized online these days. Yes - it's subversive and unpleasant, but there's no avoiding it. My husband is in charge of social media for a fairly large company, and through his work I've observed that even the most innocuous post will incite somebody, somewhere. >>

I see. So, so sad that it has come to this.

Widespread social media has done a lot to ruin the internet. What it has done to kids is the worst. My Dr said 10 years ago he never prescribed anxiety meds to teens. Now, he says, he does it nearly every day.
Date: March 23, 2020 07:17PM
Thanks so much for all the support. The project continues to delight and teach me. Today is the 56th anniversary of my father's passing, so the timing does my heart a world of good.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 69
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020