advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Prius Battery Replacement
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: March 23, 2020 12:12PM
Since the subject of of used Priuses (Pri-ii?) as well as the cost and ease of hybrid battery replacement for same comes up here with some regularity, I thought I'd share this real-world, no-nonsense video I came across on the topic from a YouTuber I like and respect:

I Bought a Cheap Toyota Prius-- with a DEAD Hybrid battery [www.youtube.com]

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

What's my "Super Power"? I can make active threads go stone-dead with a single post. I try to use this power only for good and not for evil but, you know... stuff happens.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Prius Battery Replacement
Posted by: Carm
Date: March 23, 2020 12:17PM
Battery replacement company
[www.electronautomotive.com]
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: March 23, 2020 12:51PM
It looks like one of those "time consuming, boring, follow the instructions exactly, not THAT hard to do, save a chunk of money" ideas...
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 23, 2020 12:56PM
Ive seen that video... tempting since my oldest will need a car soon. Ive seen some bad battery one for cheap that were really really clean.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: GGD
Date: March 23, 2020 01:02PM
anonymouse1
It looks like one of those "time consuming, boring, follow the instructions exactly, not THAT hard to do, save a chunk of money" ideas...

Your description reminds me of the procedure for replacing the hard drive in a G3 iBook. It was a LOT of steps, and you had to follow directions to not skip any, and keep track of screws that you removed, but each step by itself wasn't very challenging, it was just that there were so many and it took a lot of time.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: March 23, 2020 01:16PM
Huh--that was the exact example lurking in my subconscious when I posted!

GGD
anonymouse1

Your description reminds me of the procedure for replacing the hard drive in a G3 iBook. It was a LOT of steps, and you had to follow directions to not skip any, and keep track of screws that you removed, but each step by itself wasn't very challenging, it was just that there were so many and it took a lot of time.
Posted by: clay
Date: March 23, 2020 01:17PM
we've got a 2008 Prius. Fantastically reliable car. Only money I put into it is oil change once a year, tires every couple of years, etc. I think our battery is on the way out. I'll probably go the DIY route when the time arrives.

I remember those G3 iBook drive replacements. I did one for my boss back in the day. Yeah, it was super important to keep track of steps and parts as they were removed. Not difficult. just detailed.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: March 23, 2020 02:01PM
I've seen a handful of "replace it yourself" for the Prius batteries; it does seem pretty straightforward as long as long as you (obviously) have the right parts & tools and follow the directions. I have a friend with a Prius who may try this in the next year or two and I'm looking forward to being on the assist.

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)
TETO (To Each Their Own)

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: March 23, 2020 02:31PM
Make sure to clean the fan while you're disassembling pretty much the entire rear interior.

I'd rather hire these guys:

[greenbeanbattery.com]
Posted by: Gareth
Date: March 23, 2020 04:18PM
If you want to watch a step by step battery replacement, I like this YouTuber's videos: [www.youtube.com]
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 23, 2020 08:40PM
but no rebuilt ones for the plug-in. be forewarned.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 23, 2020 10:15PM
I thought I'd share this real-world, no-nonsense video I came across on the topic from a YouTuber I like and respect...

That was quite a pleasant video.

I've spent most of today looking at YouTube how to's and reviews.

Ugh!

Warning signs of a bad YouTuber who's made a bad video:

their face is in the thumbnail
their face is all scrunched up to 'make a statement' in said thumbnail
they open with 'hey guys' or 'what's up guys'
they keep their voice in a high, average volume mode
they have 'crazy' as part of their screen name
their subsequent content include 'whacky' or 'zany antics' needed to make a point
and it follows that they'll have a crap music... crap music... soundtrack.
and maybe a ball cap worn at a jaunty 'kool kidz' angle

I tend to skip a lot of videos unless I feel some need to punish myself.

So thank you, TSS, for that.

I had no idea replacing a Prius battery could be that straightforward.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 130
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020