advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Let's give kudos to a different group of workers out there
Posted by: DP
Date: March 24, 2020 08:12AM
Michigan has become a laughingstock as far as the quality of our roads. Many are equal or worse to those in Third World countries.

Now, I am not going to lay blame as that is not the purpose of this thread. Road repair issues have been going on here for years and years, so...

But of all the people who are in the medical field-necessary, in other words-and pharmacies, groceries, etc., there's a group that gets no recognition. Road workers.

They are still out there working on our roads that desperately need the attention in normal times, let alone when we need to move medical personnel, medical supplies, groceries, and other essential commodities. Don't need a nurse blowing out a tire trying to get to work, e.g.

I, for one, recognize road workers as essential right now.

Resident Cardinal...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Let's give kudos to a different group of workers out there
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 24, 2020 09:46AM
Agreeds. And their jobs are a LOT safer right now because nobody is on the roads.

FWIW, any state with frost heave is going to have terrible roads. It's an endless battle. Often made worse by corruption making road designs less capable.

Anyone remember the condition of I-80 through northern PA a year after they finished it ? Thunk, KA-thunk, etc.... They cheated on the foundation and poured slabs. Which then shifted one against the other over the winter .Geesh.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: March 24, 2020 10:49AM
Picked up some prescriptions yesterday and my pharmacist looked totally exhausted. She said it has been crazy busy for over 2 weeks. She interfaces with hundreds of clients every day at a distance of 3 feet. She is another example of a heroic worker during the virus crisis.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: hal
Date: March 24, 2020 11:51AM
DP
I, for one, recognize road workers as essential right now.

Not that I have anything against road workers, but around here they make GOOD money and have excellent benes compared to the poor folks working these Walmart grocery stores. They DON'T make good money or have good benes and they are on the fricken front lines. I call this damned near heroic. I don't see road workers in the same light at all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2020 11:51AM by hal.
Posted by: bobinmurphy
Date: March 24, 2020 12:31PM
cbelt3
Agreeds. And their jobs are a LOT safer right now because nobody is on the roads.

FWIW, any state with frost heave is going to have terrible roads. It's an endless battle. Often made worse by corruption making road designs less capable.

Anyone remember the condition of I-80 through northern PA a year after they finished it ? Thunk, KA-thunk, etc.... They cheated on the foundation and poured slabs. Which then shifted one against the other over the winter .Geesh.

The Roman Empire designed and built some roads 2,000 years ago that are still in use today. It's not that the technology doesn't exist to design and build roads today that can last as long, it's more of the "there's an economy of scale in applying a single solution to all situations" mentality. A road designed to work in one environment isn't necessarily the correct design for other environments.

We see the same thing in the housing industry. Where I live most homes are built on a pre-stressed concrete slab that floats on the ground. The problem is that design works when the ground is a 3' layer of well drained gravel; it doesn't work on black gumbo found here. And most PE's here don't seem to be smart enough to realize that.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: March 24, 2020 02:44PM
Hey DP, I went by our county road commission today and no one was there. A big entrance gate was closed too.

But yeah, they do an excellent job around here. I'm spoiled by how fast they plow the snow in the winter.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Tiki2000
Date: March 24, 2020 03:22PM

And most PE's here don't seem to be smart enough to realize that.

I'm sure the PE specified the gravel underlayment. I guessing the contractor didn't install it per the specifications & the PE wasn't PAID to inspect it prior to concrete being poured. The question is what role the foundation inspector plays in this. Not that I have ever experienced this situation....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 61
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020