Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
March 27, 1995: Mac Clones Begin
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: March 27, 2020 03:54PM
[www.cultofmac.com]

March 27, 1995: The first official Macintosh clone launches, as Radius releases its high-end System 100 Mac.

Made by a company founded by several notable Macintosh alumni, this marvelous machine kicks off the era of clone Macs in grand fashion — before things take a turn for the worse.
Radius System 100: A Macintosh clone for pros
The System 100 Mac clone debuted at an event called Seybold Seminars ’95 in Boston. Although unofficial Apple clones had popped up in the past, this marked the first time Apple officially licensed another company to create a machine that would natively run Mac OS.

System 100 customers didn’t get shortchanged on specs, though. The top-end Mac clone came with a modified Power Mac 8100 motherboard, 110 MHz 601 processor, 72MB of RAM, CD-ROM drive, 2GB hard disk, accelerated 24-bit video out to a 1,600-by-1,200-pixel display, and preinstalled Photoshop software. All of this came inside a ridiculously tough tower enclosure.

One of the ultra-reinforced Radius Mac clones.
One of Radius’ ultra-reinforced Mac clones.
Photo: Digibarn
Radius’ decision not to cut corners shouldn’t come as much of a surprise. The company had a long history with Apple. It was founded by members of the former Macintosh team in 1986, two years after the first Mac shipped. Founders included Burrell Smith, Andy Hertzfeld and Mike Boich. Many of the same names got immortalized as team members who signed the inside of the original Macintosh case.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: March 27, 1995: Mac Clones Begin
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: March 27, 2020 03:59PM
My Motorola Starmax 3000 was pretty much my worst "Mac" ever...

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: neophyte
Date: March 27, 2020 04:02PM
Markintosh

Really? Mine is still in daily use. Its RAM is maxed out at 160MB, and it has a G3/300 processor. It has been quite reliable for 23 years now.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 27, 2020 04:14PM
....send in....the clones.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: hal
Date: March 27, 2020 04:28PM
25 years!!???

I LOVED my PCC and got a starmax 4000 cheap as a secondary machine after the purge. The starmax was awesome, but a dim memory tells me that maybe the 3000 was indeed crap. (??)
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: March 27, 2020 04:28PM
I had a StarMax sublicensee, Mactell, clone and it was great, my first real good Mac, also witha G3 L2 cache upgrade slot card a MaxPower G3/300/200/1MB.

Actually I had 2 of those upgrades at one time and gave the other to someone to pop in their TAM.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: March 27, 2020 04:35PM
I had 3 UMAX clones. All were fantastic, well built machines.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: p8712
Date: March 27, 2020 04:58PM
neophyte
Markintosh

Really? Mine is still in daily use. Its RAM is maxed out at 160MB, and it has a G3/300 processor. It has been quite reliable for 23 years now.

I remember they came with an Unheard of 5 year warranty - and PS2 ports!
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: March 27, 2020 04:59PM
I lusted over a PowerComputing Power Tower Pro.
They seems to have the Macs on overdrive back in the day.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: btfc
Date: March 27, 2020 05:18PM
I had a Starmax 3000 that didn’t make me happy, and a Umax S900 that I bought new for a song that was awesome.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 27, 2020 07:12PM
......had one clone....but it started trying to take over my life.....and replace me........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: March 27, 2020 07:13PM
Hired a graphics professional to come over and help me with some illustrations for a book I was publishing.

After one afternoon working on my PowerTower Pro 225e (IIRC), the designer went home ordered a new computer.

Todd’s Welcom Datacomp board
Posted by: Forrest
Date: March 27, 2020 07:35PM
On my recommendation, my wife bought a Radius System 100 (less the video card) when they were closed out at a great price. It was built like a tank. Her first Mac.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: March 28, 2020 12:58PM
My dad had one of the UMAX fire-sale desktops in his dental office for nearly 20 years. Ran his appointments and bookkeeping.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: March 28, 2020 01:30PM
I never had a clone. Not that I had anything against them, in fact I often lusted after some of the models. Just a matter of timing, I guess.

Posted by: Rolando
Date: March 28, 2020 05:15PM
Weren't those daystar models so big you could put a flat surface across two and make a desk?

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 58
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020