advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How is everyone adapting to working from home?
Posted by: rgG
Date: March 27, 2020 04:29PM
I worked from home, part time, for about six years. It takes some getting used to.
How are all folks that normally don’t work from home adapting to the change?

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How is everyone adapting to working from home?
Posted by: August West
Date: March 27, 2020 04:40PM
My cat has taken to social-distancing.

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: jdc
Date: March 27, 2020 04:42PM
Been working at home for near 15(?) years, and before that owned my own design studio/office -- so could come and go as I pleased... nothing has changed =)

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: hal
Date: March 27, 2020 04:45PM
The only thing that has changed for me is that I wash my hands after the mailman delivers.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: March 27, 2020 04:47PM
Yeah, pretty much no change here. I'm retired from my day job, and manage a small mini storage all from home. Quite lucrative, and I don't come in contact with my tenants much.

I'm only going out for groceries, (two to three weeks supply at a time) and medical stuff. Even then I'm canceling some unnecessary procedures that can wait.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Date: March 27, 2020 04:48PM
hal
The only thing that has changed for me is that I wash my hands after the mailman delivers.

----

Posted by: Acer
Date: March 27, 2020 04:55PM
There are three of us working and two of us attending school from home. Keeping out of each other's way is taking some getting used to.

My work has changed significantly. I'm normally doing nature field trips. We've moved to providing content online. We're all writing, directing, producing and starring in our own short videos.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: March 27, 2020 04:55PM
Honestly...

I don't like this at all.

I'm used to getting out early every day and back late every day, tough commutes, working hands-on... Clients usually reach out to me, not the other way around. Not used to not being able to reach out and fix stuff practically on-demand.

We're now doing everything remotely. I get up early and I'm at work immediately, even while I'm brushing my teeth. I need to reach out to my clients via email to prompt them and then get remote sessions going. It can take a half dozen email messages or more before we set a time. Sometimes I won't get a response for a few hours or overnight and sometimes stuff gets deferred by a few days due to life-stuff, which leaves me hanging. I can fill in with some paperwork and help out the other guys here and there, but I'm left staring at the screen waiting for something to happen for much of the day.

I was a solid and reliable earner for my company and now jobs are brief and intermittent. I'm worried that my company won't survive this. I'm worried that I'll be on the front line when it comes to layoffs because I'm about 1/100th as productive from here.

I was sort of dropped into this. Went into the hospital with the world on alert. Came out with the world on lockdown. Freaky. This kind of isolation is distinct and messes with me viscerally and I feel like I didn't really have the opportunity to prepare for it mentally. Didn't have that week of easing into it, catching up on Netflix and organizing the kitchen drawers that most other people seem to have had.

On the plus side, the extra week of recovery has been useful. I'm mobile again. Minus side: Nowhere to go.

Not depressed, but a little scared. Next week will be much the same, and my guess is that we'll need to keep this up until June to have any impact. The only one in my household enjoying it is my cat.

Maybe I just need to get out and take a walk.

Posted by: DinerDave
Date: March 27, 2020 04:57PM
Wife home, bored out of her gourd. She work for a school district.
Me, business as usual, I'm classified as essential.
I am missing my up yo 2 hours alone time before wife gets home,
but I'll survive.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: timg
Date: March 27, 2020 05:01PM
We have 2 working from home, 1 attending college remotely, 2 doing high school remotely and one doing middle school remotely.

Working is a bit different in that I can't just walk over to talk to the co-workers, I have to send email. I think the biggest thing I miss is the snacks. smiling smiley

our house is large enough that we can stay out of each others way during the day, but we try to congregate for meals.

we're also watching more streaming movies. watched "Contagion" the other day. Wonder how much Gwenyth Paltrow got for her 10 minutes of screen time.

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: d4
Date: March 27, 2020 05:07PM
Saving time on the 90 minute door-to-door commute (3 hours total daily) is AMAZING. I can start work at 7:00am. Then take a nice long mid-day lunch/siesta before returning to the computer. At 5:00pm I can log off and actually eat a hot dinner with the kids at the table.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 27, 2020 05:07PM
.......you.....will....be....assimilated......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Buck
Date: March 27, 2020 05:28PM
Not adapting -- been doing it for years.
I do have a separate building for my office. (wife doesn't understand business hours)
Posted by: Fritz
Date: March 27, 2020 05:34PM
I'm shut down for at least a month, if not more.

But Owen the cat is enjoying having his staff at his beck and call.
So much so that if I had work from home, I'd not be able to coz he is constantly on my lap, on the keyboard, and or blocking the monitor.

I wouldn't mind working from home more.
But then I'd miss the smell (and I do mean smell) of NYC.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: CW2V
Date: March 27, 2020 05:52PM
Getting the old Mac Pro updated, getting access to the server at work, setting up preferences, setting up email account, updating Adobe apps, installing fonts, looking up old passwords... Finally moving at about 75% speed due to file transfer and whatnot...

Then I looked at the shelf above my monitor. Maybe time to update this too?

CW2V
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: March 27, 2020 06:12PM
I'm in the "essential" group so still going to work every day.

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Posted by: GGD
Date: March 27, 2020 06:32PM
CW2V

I think you can re-purpose that CD container as the holder for the emergency final roll of TP.
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: March 27, 2020 06:42PM
I've worked out of my home base for my whole career..the thing im having a hard time with is the thought of these frustrated health care workers not being able to do enough for the patients they are caring for,,, We should donate all of our stimulus money to THEM..because these people are @#$%& brave and doing such huge work. I am a tiny tiny person standing next to any of them

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2020 06:43PM by Kraniac.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: March 27, 2020 06:49PM
Not happy about it. There are things I do that I simply can't do from home, and home has too many distractions.

Furthermore, I'm finding that my colleagues / institution now seem to not have a good sense of boundaries and are effectively expecting me to be available 24/7.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: March 27, 2020 07:47PM
Except in unusual circumstances, I have jobs only when people are away from home, so right now, I have almost no work. Two clients who were going away, one for three weeks, one for a week, wisely cancelled their trips, which involved flying somewhere in a winged tube full of trapped virus, germs, and dead skin cells.

I could easily have done my old office job from home as soon as I had broadband at home. Wish I had figured out how much better it would have been to work from home, as I think they would have considered letting me do that at least some of the time.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 27, 2020 08:18PM
I can't work from home. Not sure how long I can keep this up financially.
Date: March 27, 2020 08:45PM
Racer X
I can't work from home. Not sure how long I can keep this up financially.

that sounds awful.

2008 was that way for me. Everything I had folded. My main client went from 65 peeps to 5 to 1 in just months. Went from 6 figures to 3.

Thankfully wife still had her job... but we declared BK 2 years later. Couldnt hang on.

----

Posted by: davester
Date: March 27, 2020 11:59PM
I'm lucky. Most of my work I can do from home. In recent years I've had a boss who several times a day comes in to my office with a fake "emergency" for me that requires that I drop what I'm doing and work on the emergency until he realizes that it's not a real emergency and says "never mind". It is quite luxurious to be able to work on long term projects without having these ridiculous interruptions. Not only that but the kitchen and cookie jar are much closer now. This makes me wonder why we even bother going into the office. I'm much more productive at home.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: March 28, 2020 06:24AM
My pets are thrilled. I like not wasting time and aggravation on driving in traffic...

I have a little PC laptop from work - it’s set up where I couldn’t fit a second monitor if I had one handy. I have 2 big monitors set up at work so it’s a big bummer to go to the tiny laptop screen. A lot of my work isn’t paperless, so I’m muddling through. Overall, I like it, but there are some issues,

Having ice cream available at all times is a mixed blessing. I love wearing PJs by the fire, or going outside, into a bath, or cooking during my lunch break.
Posted by: mspace
Date: March 28, 2020 09:56AM
Most of our money gig clients are remote anyway, so nothing new.
Need to get beyond left over common cold/tree season cough to get back to rehearsing.
Although, who knows where/when music gigs will be back.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 28, 2020 02:43PM
A variety of experiences here to be sure.

After a multi-year absence out of the full time workforce I start a new job Monday that was already deemed remote. I've been "home" so long that aspect won't be anything new, except for perhaps some other folks' expectations of what I can/can't now do while I'm in the house.

My wife began doing this years ago so she's used to it also. This weekend I'm still carving out a hidey-hole in the basement to get some space from the rest of them for this.

I just tested our 2.4GHz network at that location and it sucks. WiFi repeaters, are they crazy strong with a fresh signal? If not, I'll want to buy a roll of CAT5, a replacement crimper since I can't find my old one, RJ45s etc.
Posted by: wurm
Date: March 28, 2020 03:45PM
I'm planning on semi-retirement in July and I was able to negotiate a part time arrangement which would allow me to work three days from home and drive in only two days after that. This is giving me a good feel for what it's going to be like. Although after these last two weeks, maybe I can convince them I can work every day from home. I miss the people, but I certainly don't miss the 1.5hr.+ commute each way.
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: March 28, 2020 05:06PM
I’ll tell you one thing - I won’t be going in to work during an ice storm or anything in the future, because I’ve proven here that I’m quite effective at home for weeks. That part is good.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 112
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020