advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
how long until we have enough personal protective equipment?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 30, 2020 05:47PM
Lets say the quarantine is 100% (hah) and in two weeks everyone has either recovered or succumbed. How long until we're reasonably well stocked with personal protection equipment? How long will our healthcare workers be reusing equipment?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: how long until we have enough personal protective equipment?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 30, 2020 06:01PM
Six months.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: testcase
Date: March 30, 2020 06:16PM
Never. Once supplies reach “safe” levels, items will “grow feet” and simply disappear. boink smiley
Posted by: DP
Date: March 30, 2020 06:44PM
I think we're going to have warehouses stuffed with mask, respirators, all the supplies, after this pandemic is over. And it should be left in the warehouses for the next crisis.

Summer scene...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: bfd
Date: March 30, 2020 06:54PM
According to Amazon, Arriving April 17 - May 8
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 30, 2020 07:55PM
....same goes for TP, disinfectant wipes, cleaning products.......when the hysteria is over......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: March 30, 2020 08:26PM
I keep waiting for Trump to use the DPA to produce the little details...like hand sanitizer..it's extremely important in the day to day boots on the ground details.

Most stores can't even get it to place in the store for the safety of the customers and employess..it's nowhere..except a few...so far for me Meijer and Trader Joe ..supposedely Whole Foods too but i don't shop there..
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 30, 2020 08:32PM
....personal protective equipment.......is that a protective cup......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 30, 2020 09:08PM
In less than 6 months we will have enough equipment (PPE and medical) to survive the next wave of COVID-19. And if production continues, we will have enough for the third wave. By then we should have a functional immunization shot, so those who have not survived it will be able to get immunized.

Four years after that the lessons of COVID-19 will be forgotten and the inventory levels will be allowed to slip back to 2018 levels. Because who would believe that a novel pandemic could arise AGAIN ! Quarantine equipment is just for people traveling from weird places who get weird diseases. You don't need more than 1 or 2 quarantine rooms per major hospital.

It is important to remember that this is a math problem. A BAD math problem.
Most PPE is designed to be DISPOSABLE. One use.

There are approximately 60 million healthcare workers in the world. How many N95 masks do they need for 100 days of viral war ? Yeah. 6 BILLION.

Some ventilators parts are also limited to 8 hours of use. COVID-19 patient needing ventilators in the US alone are around 20K at the same time. 60,000 of these disposable parts per DAY. in the US alone.

Relevand NIH article. From 2016 - [www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]
Posted by: Michael
Date: March 31, 2020 05:36AM
cbelt3
In less than 6 months we will have enough equipment (PPE and medical) to survive the next wave of COVID-19. And if production continues, we will have enough for the third wave. By then we should have a functional immunization shot, so those who have not survived it will be able to get immunized.

Four years after that the lessons of COVID-19 will be forgotten and the inventory levels will be allowed to slip back to 2018 levels. Because who would believe that a novel pandemic could arise AGAIN ! Quarantine equipment is just for people traveling from weird places who get weird diseases. You don't need more than 1 or 2 quarantine rooms per major hospital.

This.

And when the next one comes, hopefully in many years, we'll regret not keeping supplies and updating them as necessary.
Posted by: Acer
Date: March 31, 2020 08:55AM
Seems like we have something that threatens to break out at least once a decade. H1N1 came very close in 2008. More routine use of PPE at least in health care settings (without a beancounter on your shoulder) and around and among the vulnerable would prevent that somewhat. It would further mitigate seasonal flu fatalities that we have come to so casually accept as normal.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: March 31, 2020 02:25PM
Michael
cbelt3

This.

And when the next one comes, hopefully in many years, we'll regret not keeping supplies and updating them as necessary.

Except I hope we won't be immunizing those who have not survived... smiley12

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 108
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020