Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
We hit a millon
Posted by: Mr645
Date: April 02, 2020 01:19PM
official, over 1million cases around the world, 235,000+ in the USA

The recovery numbers are also skyrocketing today, tens of thousands added to recovery
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: We hit a millon
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: April 02, 2020 01:25PM
The statistical sites I follow:

* John Hopkins site: [gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com]

* Another, which charts (some) percentages): [ncov2019.live]

And a couple of good news pages:

* COVID-19 Good News Subreddit: [www.reddit.com]

* General Good News Subreddit: [www.reddit.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2020 01:25PM by Zoidberg.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 02, 2020 01:40PM
The validity of the numbers varies by testing availability and degree of governmental manipulation. I believe it is reasonable to state that there are easily 2-5 times the number of actual infected people, and that many times the number of fatalities. In the absence of this novel virus, how many would have died in any case ?

Funeral urns in Wuhan
[www.bloomberg.com]

Discussion of interpretation
[www.inquirer.com]
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: April 02, 2020 01:44PM
All these questions cannot be reasonably answered in realtime. These are hindsight questions.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Buck
Date: April 02, 2020 01:55PM
It must be much higher because numbers from China and Iran cannot be trusted. Their dictators understated the numbers, lied to the press, and China even had the WHO do their bidding. They even silenced whistleblower doctors.

I wonder how different the models would be with their data included. The ones Fauci and Birx are using, and others.
Posted by: hal
Date: April 02, 2020 02:16PM
I found the Johns Hopkins site a while ago. The next day, the page was still up and in the front so I refreshed it to see how the numbers had changed overnight. They went up almost 50% in one night from 6000+ to 9000+. Now almost 1M - omg!

Zoidberg
The statistical sites I follow:

* John Hopkins site: [gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com]

* Another, which charts (some) percentages): [ncov2019.live]

And a couple of good news pages:

* COVID-19 Good News Subreddit: [www.reddit.com]

* General Good News Subreddit: [www.reddit.com]
Posted by: Don C
Date: April 02, 2020 02:34PM
Daughter in law who is a nurse probably has it but cannot get tested because she is not a high risk category. She is just staying home for two weeks and will end up being a real case (she thinks) but never in the counts. If we had more testing available, the counts would be very different.
Posted by: Buck
Date: April 02, 2020 02:35PM
Where are charts used by Drs Fauci and Birx?
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: April 02, 2020 02:44PM
cbelt3
The validity of the numbers varies by testing availability and degree of governmental manipulation. I believe it is reasonable to state that there are easily 2-5 times the number of actual infected people

I'm thinking more like 10x, at least in the U.S. To our great embarrassment and shame, we still aren't testing to any significant level.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2020 02:45PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Date: April 02, 2020 02:45PM
Mr645
The recovery numbers are also skyrocketing today, tens of thousands added to recovery

Of course they are -- how could it be otherwise?

It is what it is.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: April 02, 2020 02:48PM
don't know how true it is but i follow this one. the Recovered number keeps my psyche from failing completely into the abyss.

Worldometers

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2020 02:49PM by graylocks.
Date: April 02, 2020 02:49PM
Don C
Daughter in law who is a nurse probably has it but cannot get tested because she is not a high risk category. She is just staying home for two weeks and will end up being a real case (she thinks) but never in the counts. If we had more testing available, the counts would be very different.

It occurred to me today that the easiest way to get tested may be to donate blood. I assume they MUST be testing all donations, given the current situation.

The American Red Cross is desperate for donors right now -- I'll be heading down to make a donation in short order. Even if they aren't testing donations, it's still good to donate.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2020 02:51PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: space-time
Date: April 02, 2020 03:08PM
Their dictators understated the numbers, lied to the press

how is that different from US?
Posted by: pdq
Date: April 02, 2020 03:21PM
N-OS X-tasy!
It occurred to me today that the easiest way to get tested may be to donate blood. I assume they MUST be testing all donations, given the current situation.

Oh dear God NO! They are NOT testing, and you should NEVER donate blood to confirm whether you have a disease or not.

3. You will not get tested for the coronavirus when giving blood. A popular myth that’s circulating is that blood centers are screening for COVID-19, which effectively would mean donating is a way to get tested. That is false. Because it is not transmitted by blood, there is no reason for a blood donation center to test for it. You don’t get a flu test before donating, either. “Not only is testing for COVID-19 not recommended by the FDA or any public health agency [before giving blood], but there is no test for it in blood donation,” said Merrill. You will be screened for any respiratory symptoms like a runny nose, cough or shortness of breath when you show up.

Now, if you feel well, and are symptom-free, (and don't think you've been exposed) by all means donate. You'll probably need an appointment, and they're likely to check your temperature at the door. Unfortunately, they had to temporarily shut down a collection site or two around here because (I think) one of the staff became positive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2020 03:27PM by pdq.
Date: April 02, 2020 04:07PM
pdq
N-OS X-tasy!

Oh dear God NO! They are NOT testing, and you should NEVER donate blood to confirm whether you have a disease or not.

3. You will not get tested for the coronavirus when giving blood. A popular myth that’s circulating is that blood centers are screening for COVID-19, which effectively would mean donating is a way to get tested. That is false. Because it is not transmitted by blood, there is no reason for a blood donation center to test for it. You don’t get a flu test before donating, either. “Not only is testing for COVID-19 not recommended by the FDA or any public health agency [before giving blood], but there is no test for it in blood donation,” said Merrill. You will be screened for any respiratory symptoms like a runny nose, cough or shortness of breath when you show up.

Now, if you feel well, and are symptom-free, (and don't think you've been exposed) by all means donate. You'll probably need an appointment, and they're likely to check your temperature at the door. Unfortunately, they had to temporarily shut down a collection site or two around here because (I think) one of the staff became positive.

Thanks for the quoted info above -- I did search the ARC site for clarification on the matter and did not find any. FYI, I AM feeling well and symptom-free, but we all know that means diddly-squat with regard to whether or not I am actually infected.

So the fact is that ARC may be collecting and distributing blood tainted with the coronavirus - isn't that interesting.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: April 02, 2020 06:23PM
Buck
Where are charts used by Drs Fauci and Birx?

I think they are from here: [www.healthdata.org]

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Posted by: RgrF
Date: April 03, 2020 03:47AM
Buck could substantiate his assertions if he had substantiation, what he has seems to be regurgitated opinions from political professionals - not scientists or medical professional.

But if those are good enough for him...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 109
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020