advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Glad I am using old school Photoshop (that I own) because I wouldn't want to be renting software right now
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: April 02, 2020 02:07PM
Hearing about some photo colleagues who have had freelance work dry up. Not a great time to be renting software like Photoshop.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Glad I am using old school Photoshop (that I own) because I wouldn't want to be renting software right now
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: April 02, 2020 02:14PM
Why not? Last time I checked the Math if you need keep running the newest version them it is cheaper for the subscription. I would guess most freelancers need the newest version to ensure compatibility with their clients.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Re: Glad I am using old school Photoshop (that I own) because I wouldn't want to be renting software right now
Posted by: d4
Date: April 02, 2020 02:29PM
I think you can put the subscription "on hold". Haven't looked into it though.

Date: April 02, 2020 02:40PM
d4

That means no longer being able to use the software?

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Date: April 02, 2020 02:42PM
C(-)ris
Why not? Last time I checked the Math if you need keep running the newest version them it is cheaper for the subscription. I would guess most freelancers need the newest version to ensure compatibility with their clients.

Depends on your client. Some are fine with Tiff and jpegs with little compression. Some require more recent version of Pshop. I don’t need the latest version and it would be tough right now in a dwindling big economy to keep housing, food, etc going and paying for software.

Date: April 02, 2020 02:47PM
pRICE cUBE
d4

I thought that's what you were getting at. No work. So no need for the software.

But really, if you're a freelancer and living so tight on a budget that you can't afford $40 a month for Adobe CC. I think you might have bigger issues.

I'm still on CS5 at home thumbs up

Posted by: hal
Date: April 02, 2020 03:03PM
d4
pRICE cUBE
d4

I thought that's what you were getting at. No work. So no need for the software.

cube is talking about pro photogs - just because they don't have work doesn't mean that they stop taking pictures and editing them. These people won't even be able to 'stay in shape'. Photography requires skill and practice. You lose the skill if you don't use it. These folks won't even be able to look at the pics they take since I suppose they will be depending on adobe for RAW conversion as well. Yeah... they don't 'need' it, but it most certainly sucks for these people
Posted by: AllGold
Date: April 02, 2020 03:06PM
I was never a fan of rented software. I'm still using out-of-date Photoshop that was purchased (at a significant discount).

Date: April 02, 2020 03:18PM
hal
d4
pRICE cUBE
d4

cube is talking about pro photogs - just because they don't have work doesn't mean that they stop taking pictures and editing them. These people won't even be able to 'stay in shape'. Photography requires skill and practice. You lose the skill if you don't use it. These folks won't even be able to look at the pics they take since I suppose they will be depending on adobe for RAW conversion as well. Yeah... they don't 'need' it, but it most certainly sucks for these people

$20 a month for Photoshop should not be hurting a pro photographer running a business. An annoyance maybe. But come on. Seriously?

Posted by: Bo
Date: April 02, 2020 03:36PM
d4
hal
d4
pRICE cUBE
d4

$20 a month for Photoshop should not be hurting a pro photographer running a business. An annoyance maybe. But come on. Seriously?

And FWIW just going for the basic Photoshop plan is only $10/month

I absolutely despise renting software as well but finally jumped on the basic plan (I actually got in on a now expired deal for $85/year) since my old CS5 PS wasn't working any more. Fortunately CS5 AI and ID still work with my Mojave

Photography (20GB)
Get Lightroom, Lightroom Classic, and Photoshop on desktop and iPad.
US$9.99/mo

[www.adobe.com]
Posted by: mikebw
Date: April 02, 2020 03:39PM
d4
hal
d4
pRICE cUBE
d4

I tend to agree with this. If you're not making money ... cancel the subscription, then get it back when you are.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: April 02, 2020 03:44PM
And it's $60/month for the whole creative suite, but that's the annual commitment price (don't know what the by the month price is), which makes the most sense if you use Photoshop + another app or two (i.e. Illustrator or Premiere).

I've read sporadic reports that Adobe will give you 3 months for free, but that's also their standard "please don't cancel" offer. I'm at 50% off this year from a "please don't cancel" offer.
Posted by: pqrst
Date: April 02, 2020 03:48PM
pRICE cUBE
d4

Probably not. When you cancel your subscription, you can usually use it through the end of the next billing period.
For me personally, I use Photoshop, After Effects and illustrator. Compatibility and file exchange are important with other departments and clients. Having the newest version is important.
There is a two months free if you are a preexisting subscriber. A friend sent me the info but I am trying to figure it out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2020 03:51PM by pqrst.
Date: April 02, 2020 04:21PM
d4
hal
d4
pRICE cUBE
d4

There are some photographers living in pricey locales where rents are high. $20 is going to matter if assignments have dried up. I am aware of some sports photographers who covered major sports and now have no income stream. Because they are contractors, they have no benefits and no recourse.

Posted by: jdc
Date: April 02, 2020 04:34PM
pRICE cUBE
Not a great time to be renting software like Photoshop.

As others have noted -- PS/LR subscription is $10 a month. Even for a freelancer, that seems doable?

I need the full CC suite, at $53 -- but not driving my kids back and forth to school for the last couple of weeks has saved me nearly double that...

For my one man studio, monthly:
Adobe CC + stock -- $83
Dropbox -- $10
jotform -- $20
Suitcase -- $7
backblase -- $5

Plus yearly stuff, like hosting, domain, etc.

The other option is affinty -- now only $25.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: April 02, 2020 04:42PM
jdc
pRICE cUBE
Not a great time to be renting software like Photoshop.

As others have noted -- PS/LR subscription is $10 a month. Even for a freelancer, that seems doable?

I need the full CC suite, at $53 -- but not driving my kids back and forth to school for the last couple of weeks has saved me nearly double that...

For my one man studio, monthly:
Adobe CC + stock -- $83
Dropbox -- $10
jotform -- $20
Suitcase -- $7
backblase -- $5

Plus yearly stuff, like hosting, domain, etc.

The other option is affinty -- now only $25.

I am not in this situation personally. Just feeling some empathy for photo freelancers who have the walls closing in financially on them during this crazy time. It is one more thing to be worried about.

Posted by: vision63
Date: April 02, 2020 04:47PM
pRICE cUBE
d4
hal
d4
pRICE cUBE
d4

There are some photographers living in pricey locales where rents are high. $20 is going to matter if assignments have dried up. I am aware of some sports photographers who covered major sports and now have no income stream. Because they are contractors, they have no benefits and no recourse.

No need to justify why you don't like some mook of a company the right to drop an intravenous line into your bank account for any amount. Lightroom Classic can be purchased and nobody really needs anything beyond Photoshop 6 if you can get it to run.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2020 04:47PM by vision63.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: April 03, 2020 06:29AM
What about Photoshop Elements? Hasn't that become advanced enough to cover most needs?

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 124
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020