advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Acquaintance's daughter severely injured in crash, must recover without family at bedside
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: April 05, 2020 10:45PM
I am posting this not for shock value but as a reminder to be as safe as you possibly can be out there. Please use your best safety practices in this strange time.

It does not sound like best practices were exercised by this group of young people. It appears the driver of the car she was in is at fault by running a red light. She is likely the unbelted person in the rear seat laying on the laps of others.

The acquaintance said via FB post that the daughter faces years of recovery ahead of her. She has multiple bone fractures, internal blunt injuries, facial injuries. Her parents and other family members cannot visit her due to COVID-19. It is a heart wrenching experience for her and her family until the C-19 situation clears up.

[gephardtdaily.com]

Upon arrival, officers found two vehicles in the intersection, with six people in one car and one person in the other.

“What I’m told preliminarily, the white car was going eastbound on 6200 South, ran a red light and collided with a northbound car,” Burke said at the scene. “The most seriously injured were in the white passenger car, and they’ve all been transported to area hospitals.”

Burke said there was “quite a range” of injuries, from minor to a serious head injury.

Two of the injured people were airlifted to the hospital in serious and very serious condition. Three were transported by ambulance, and two, who had minor injuries, were taken to the hospital by friends.

The only occupant of the other vehicle was the female driver. She was transported to the hospital as a precaution.

The occupants of the white car range in age from 14 to 18 years old, and weren’t all properly restrained inside the vehicle.

“There were two in the front seat, three in back, with one lying across the back,” Burke said. There weren’t enough seat belts for everyone.

“I can’t stress it enough — proper seating and seat belts.”

The individual who was lying across the back seat was transported in serious condition with broken bones, Burke said.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2020 10:45PM by pRICE cUBE.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Acquaintance's daughter severely injured in crash, must recover without family at bedside
Posted by: AllGold
Date: April 05, 2020 10:55PM
cry smiley

Re: Acquaintance's daughter severely injured in crash, must recover without family at bedside
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: April 05, 2020 10:58PM
AllGold
cry smiley
I agree.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: April 05, 2020 11:08PM
Very sad news. Best wishes for recovery.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Bo
Date: April 06, 2020 12:45AM
So sad and avoidable
Date: April 06, 2020 01:19AM
Then the young woman was laying on the laps of the three in the rear seat. I have been asked to drive more people than I have seat belts fit and I refuse to do it.

I am reminding the young drivers I am in contact with to not take driving lightly right now despite fewer cars on the road. Also remind them not to have more passengers than seat belts.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2020 02:41AM by pRICE cUBE.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: April 06, 2020 03:13AM
My best wishes for the recoveries of all involved.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Pam
Date: April 06, 2020 05:40AM
How awful. sick smiley
Posted by: Sam3
Date: April 06, 2020 06:57AM
I am amazed and thankful that nobody died. The car looks horrible.

In our local children's hospital, one person is, fortunately, allowed to visit a sick child, the adult side of the hospital, no visitors.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Posted by: MindMeld
Date: April 06, 2020 08:09AM
SAM3
The car looks horrible.

Yes, that looks like some serious speed involved. It's hard to believe that someone wasn't killed since seat belts apparently were not in use.
Posted by: d4
Date: April 06, 2020 08:27AM
The Invincibility Fable

This behavior is a special kind of egocentric thinking specifically observed in the teenage years, first proposed by David Elkind (1967).

Invincibility is a phase of development during adolescence that has been associated with risky behavior. It leads teenagers to have feelings such as:

- All experiences are unique, nothing happens to anyone else like it does to me.
- My experiences/feelings are special, no one can understand what I go through.
- Nothing bad will happen to me, accidents only happen to others.

To overcome this fable, a very influential tool that parents can use to guide their decisions are their peers, because social factors strongly influence teen behavior. With this, parents can use the gap between reality and egocentric thinking by using experiences of friends. This allows the teenager to explore the idea of perspective thinking, to see a different view of the situation.

[willingness.com.mt]

Posted by: testcase
Date: April 06, 2020 09:07AM
Darwin Awards and clean up in aisle five.....

My condolences go to the people who had to clean this mess up (including ALL the paperwork entailed).

MANY lives ruined for NO good reason. banghead smiley
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: April 06, 2020 10:48AM
pRICE cUBE
I am reminding the young drivers I am in contact with to not take driving lightly right now despite fewer cars on the road. Also remind them not to have more passengers than seat belts.

This is great advice. My experience being on the road lately (I have to drive a short distance daily) is that folks are either driving like extremely cautious folks w/learner's permits, or like pseudo-street racers who think all bets are off b/c cops don't want to pull people over... Dangerous time for pedestrians, too!

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: space-time
Date: April 06, 2020 10:59AM
Sorry to hear this.

6 people in one car? Unless they were family members, there is no reason to have 6 people in one car during the pandemic.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 06, 2020 11:00AM
“I can’t stress it enough — proper seating and seat belts.”

Exactly.

That was a pretty bad crash and the white car looks T-boned, so it's surprising and fortunate no one died.

It really not possible to stress enough the advantages of properly wearing seat/shoulder belts.

or like pseudo-street racers who think all bets are off b/c cops don't want to pull people over...

I am seeing this a lot, now, and hearing it at night, when sound carries. Cars are quite literally roaring down the streets, and there are a lot more crop circles.

It's almost enough to give one fantasies of putting .50 rounds through an engine block.

Well, maybe enough.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: April 06, 2020 11:29AM
space-time
Sorry to hear this.

6 people in one car? Unless they were family members, there is no reason to have 6 people in one car during the pandemic.

The passengers in that car were all between he ages of 14-18. The acquaintance did not specify if all were all in the same family. Unless there are a set of twin or triplets, it may have been a car load of teenagers of various families.

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: April 06, 2020 01:23PM
rjmacs
My experience being on the road lately (I have to drive a short distance daily) is that folks are either driving like extremely cautious folks w/learner's permits, or like pseudo-street racers who think all bets are off b/c cops don't want to pull people over

I've been encountering far more of the former than of the latter.

It is what it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 89
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020