The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
hydroxychloroquine 'saved my life'
Posted by: Buck
Date: April 07, 2020 02:48PM
[www.foxnews.com]

Watch till the end. - "I was better within a couple of hours"

A Democratic Michigan state lawmaker has credited President Trump's publicizing of the anti-malarial drug hydroxychloroquine with saving her life after her health "plummeted" when she contracted coronavirus.

State Rep. Karen Whitsett of Detroit told "The Ingraham Angle" on Monday that if it wasn't for Trump pushing the drug through the Food and Drug Administration's approval process for off-label use and touting it repeatedly during his daily press briefings, she may not have made it through the terrible contagion.

"I really want to say that you have to give this an opportunity," she said. "For me, it saved my life. I only can go by what it is that I have gone through and what my story is, and I can't speak for anyone else. So that's not what I'm trying to do here. I'm only speaking for myself."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2020 02:49PM by Buck.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: hydroxychloroquine 'saved my life'
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: April 07, 2020 02:49PM
n=1

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: April 07, 2020 03:05PM
Absolutely meaningless without being able to statistically correlate it with at least 350+ other results.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: freeradical
Date: April 07, 2020 03:11PM
Hat Trick
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: April 07, 2020 03:13PM
FWIW - she is a democrat.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: April 07, 2020 03:18PM
Buck
"I really want to say that you have to give this an opportunity," she said. "For me, it saved my life..."

"...And the $100,000 check that I just deposited that can be traced back to a Cayman Islands account under to control of a shell company owned by the lobbying arm of pharmaceutical company Novartis had absolutely nothing to do with this statement."*

*Inferred.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2020 04:47PM by Sarcany.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: April 07, 2020 03:18PM
Correlation is not causation.

An opinion is an anecdote, with no value as scientific data.

Hydroxychloroquine may very well be an effective treatment for covid-19 but it will take randomized double-blinded controlled trials to prove or disprove that, not an opinion piece from an entertainment site.
Posted by: GGD
Date: April 07, 2020 03:32PM
Lew Zealand

She was also probably given water at the same time to swallow the pills, no way to prove that it wasn't the water instead of the pills that led to the recovery, or that doing nothing at all would have had the same result.

I also notice that the reports for Michigan still list zero in the "recovered" column. Has she recovered?

I'm glad that she's feeling better, are there any numbers on the number of patients that took it and still died? They don't get to go on Fox News and report their experience.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: April 07, 2020 03:43PM
Dead men (and women) tell no tales.
Posted by: Pam
Date: April 07, 2020 03:49PM
Trump had nothing to do with it. Doctors were already using it along with antibiotics in a lot of patients. Given the death count it’s obviously not a miraculous cure.
Posted by: Buck
Date: April 07, 2020 03:54PM
I see you guys don't want it to succeed.
You must agree with governors who forbid doctors to prescribe it.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: April 07, 2020 04:00PM
Buck

Exactly.

They've been using it in other countries with success. And just because someone takes it and dies doesn't mean that it was the hydroxychlorquine that caused it. For people who are in bad shape or high risk, they should be given the option to try it.
Posted by: STL
Date: April 07, 2020 04:10PM
There is no scientific evidence it works on C-19.

Let the bone spurred draft dodger lead the way and take a few doses.

The USA may get lucky.
Date: April 07, 2020 04:12PM
Buck

Incorrect. Don't force your opinion into other people's mouths.

I want whatever treatment for covid-19 to be better than doing nothing at all, and the data for hydroxychloroquine is not there yet. Right now it is reasonably likely that hydroxychloroquine will do more damage to patients overall than good. That is the problem.

It may very well work out better than not giving it for some patients and it may very well work out worse than not giving it for other patients. But we don't know yet what that balance is.

Does that make sense?
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: April 07, 2020 04:19PM
Lew Zealand

An opinion is an anecdote, with no value as scientific data.

Hydroxychloroquine may very well be an effective treatment for covid-19 but it will take randomized double-blinded controlled trials to prove or disprove that, not an opinion piece from an entertainment site.

Precisely.

Mac mini (M1 2020, 16G) Big Sur 11.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2020 06:36PM by tuqqer.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: April 07, 2020 04:34PM
uh oh ......

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: August West
Date: April 07, 2020 04:41PM
I support the practices of modern science.

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: hal
Date: April 07, 2020 05:32PM
THE foremost expert in the country says it's a bad idea. Every scientist that studies communicable diseases agrees. Why on earth would you listen to a differing opinion? I just don't get it.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: April 07, 2020 06:01PM
Buck

What makes you jump to such an illogical thought?
Posted by: Ammo
Date: April 07, 2020 06:31PM
I’ve said this before: millions of people take hydroxychloroquine daily for arthritis with no ill effects. Arguments about wether it’s safe or not are moot unless the dosage is part of the equation.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: April 07, 2020 06:43PM
The dosage is always part if the equation.
Date: April 07, 2020 06:46PM
Ammo
I’ve said this before: millions of people take hydroxychloroquine daily for arthritis with no ill effects. Arguments about wether it’s safe or not are moot unless the dosage is part of the equation.

Here's the problem (this is for Rheumatoid Arthritis):

"How long does it take to work?

Hydroxychloroquine doesn’t work immediately. It may be 12 weeks or longer before you notice any benefit. Because it's a long-term treatment it's important to keep taking hydroxychloroquine unless you have severe side effects."

[www.versusarthritis.org]

It takes a long time to work. If it also works on covid-19 the same way, then it's useless and all you get is possible side effects.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: April 07, 2020 07:27PM
Give me the hydroxychloroquine.

But don't give me the vaccine.

soapbox smiley

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: jdc
Date: April 07, 2020 09:27PM
macphanatic
Buck

Exactly.

They've been using it in other countries with success. And just because someone takes it and dies doesn't mean that it was the hydroxychlorquine that caused it. For people who are in bad shape or high risk, they should be given the option to try it.

Source?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: April 07, 2020 11:29PM
[www.sciencemag.org]

Trump cited a small French trial of 42 COVID-19 patients that has been criticized for lapses widely viewed as rendering its findings unreliable. Even the International Society of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, publisher of the peer-reviewed journal that released the study, recently said it “does not meet the Society’s expected standard.”

...Two small Chinese trials, which many infectious disease researchers and clinicians regard as more scientifically sound than the French study Trump tweeted about, reached opposite conclusions. In one, COVID-19 patients taking hydroxychloroquine had better outcomes, and in the other, those who received a placebo improved more. A second small French trial found hydroxychloroquine plus azithromycin ineffective for severely ill COVID-19 patients.

Borio, now a vice president at In-Q-Tel, a national security–oriented venture capital firm, adds that FDA, in issuing the EUA, also overlooked the drugs’ record against other viruses. She cites a “long history of having tried hydroxychloroquine as a treatment for emerging viral infections, and seeing it fail to help patients despite some activity in vitro and even in animal models.”

...“What is quite certain: When you get large numbers of people exposed to [hydroxychloroquine], there will be important adverse effects,” including sometimes-lethal cardiac toxicity, Lurie says. “That can be acceptable in the setting of known benefits, but it’s more difficult to accept when there isn’t now and might never be evidence of benefit.”

“The idea that we have nothing to lose by trying anything with the smallest glimmer of hope is terribly misguided,” adds Patricia Zettler, a law professor at Ohio State University, Columbus, and former FDA associate chief counsel under Obama. “As a society, we risk losing the opportunity to understand what actually works, and what doesn’t.”

Another safety concern emerged on 20 March, when FDA lifted its import restrictions on Ipca Laboratories, a leading Indian maker of the drugs. FDA has repeatedly cited the company for manufacturing lapses, most recently in a scathing inspection report in August 2019. The agency told ScienceInsider the reprieve was only for the malaria drugs, to meet surging U.S. demand. It said the firm “agreed to perform additional quality mitigation steps” for the drugs.

“Ipca had data integrity issues and cascading failures in quality control,” says Hamburg, who led FDA when the firm was cited for such problems in 2014. “That signals to me that it’s probably not a drug we want from that supplier.”

...Hamburg says she fears that with its EUA, FDA has taken “a step away from scientific rigor, to a system that is much more subject to all kinds of interference, from wishful thinking to frank political and economic motivations.”

Posted by: rz
Date: April 08, 2020 08:24AM
Ugh, I didn't realize that when you block someone, you can still open a thread that they start. I guess I need to start looking at the "author" link on the front page.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 78
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020