advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Items you fortuitously stocked up on BEFORE January?
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: April 08, 2020 09:36AM
We just happened to run out of liquid hand soap In December, so picked up a Costco-ized twin jug.
It will probably last us well past development and distribution of an anti-COVID vaccine.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Items you fortuitously stocked up on BEFORE January?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 08, 2020 09:43AM
....you are so lucky that you got a nice set of jugs......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: davemchine
Date: April 08, 2020 09:44AM
I overbought eggs at the store and then a friend who has ducks brought me a dozen duck eggs so I have had no egg problems.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 08, 2020 09:44AM
I got an extra dog last year. She's significantly helped me maintain my mental health.
Posted by: d4
Date: April 08, 2020 09:51AM
3 months ago? Seems so long ago.
Anyone stocked up on Tesla stock? Hopefully you sold it before it went to the crapper.

Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: April 08, 2020 10:00AM
I am the Toilet Paper King. In December, I bought the huge pack of TP, while I still had about 5 rolls left. Then my roommate moved out just before the "Staycation" started, and he left 10 rolls and Lysol Spray (to use on his Hockey gear). Still haven't "cracked" into the huge pack of TP, since I have a bidet. I have been offering TP rolls as tips to delivery people.

4 months ago I purchased the individual Purel alcohol wipes in a huge bulk box to use when I fly.

On the other hand--I must have forecast this pandemic-but I suck at picking stocks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2020 10:01AM by Ken Sp..
Posted by: rgG
Date: April 08, 2020 10:00AM
I got my TP and Kleenex restocked, in early March.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: lost in space
Date: April 08, 2020 10:07AM
We have about a liter of Everclear, which I use as a solvent for shellac. About five years ago I bought a box of N95 masks for protection while doing drywall work; about half the box remains.

Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: April 08, 2020 10:27AM
d4
3 months ago? Seems so long ago.
Anyone stocked up on Tesla stock? Hopefully you sold it before it went to the crapper.

Just like the rest of the stock market that went into the crapper. But seriously, why would you have sold it or any other stock? Hopefully you're in it (and the stock market) for the long run, unless you're getting closer to needing that money (in which case you should have been out of it).
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: April 08, 2020 10:40AM
Ken Sp.
I am the Toilet Paper King. In December, I bought the huge pack of TP, while I still had about 5 rolls left. Then my roommate moved out just before the "Staycation" started, and he left 10 rolls and Lysol Spray (to use on his Hockey gear). Still haven't "cracked" into the huge pack of TP, since I have a bidet. I have been offering TP rolls as tips to delivery people.

With my 87 rolls, *I* am the Toilet Paper King - you are but a mere pretender to the throne. grinning smiley

The reason I have this many? Costco stopped selling the Cottonelle I like sometime last year, so last September when I came across an Amazon deal for the same I purchased two 36-roll packs. Little did I know the hassle I would be saving myself just a few short months later...

It is what it is.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: April 08, 2020 10:46AM
Mrs Zealand did our 3-4 month trip to Costco in Feb so we ended up with enough paper products, coffee beans, and other dry good staples to last, well, 3-4 months. Fortuitous timing, that's all.
Posted by: testcase
Date: April 08, 2020 10:46AM
My RV smiling smiley
Date: April 08, 2020 10:50AM
lost in space
We have about a liter of Everclear, which I use as a solvent for shellac. About five years ago I bought a box of N95 masks for protection while doing drywall work; about half the box remains.

Mmmm, Everclear. In grad school for a party, we cut a hole in a large watermelon and filled as much as we could with a liter of Everclear. It was labeled EtOH melon for the party. Quote from a friend: "The foot ith vewy pothenth!"
Posted by: Buck
Date: April 08, 2020 10:56AM
We had just replenished chili ingredients. Cans of red, white, black beans, also tomatoes with green chilis, corn. Also frozen ground beef.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: April 08, 2020 11:06AM
My mom was visiting, so I stocked up on toilet paper and paper towels and laundry detergent.

Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: April 08, 2020 11:23AM
Similarly to LIS: Had one each n95 and p100 respirators from home repairs. Similary, a bottle of isopropyl alcohol. Oh, and a box of nitrile gloves that I used to use in painting and other chores.

Deliberately, not fortuitously, stocked up on about 28 rolls of TP. About 12 or so left, plus 4 I bought at Trader Joe's.

And a bunch of canned fish.

lost in space
Posted by: Bo
Date: April 08, 2020 11:38AM
Hookers & booze. Running low on one
Date: April 08, 2020 11:38AM
....recent thong emergency.....so have like 50 thongs to use as.....

Posted by: Markintosh
Date: April 08, 2020 11:43AM
Tuna...We had purchased a 10 pack of albacore tuna at Costco when we went in February. Then when I decided to bolster the pantry in early March, I bought another 16 cans at Safeway. That was in additions to the assorted 20 pieces of frozen tuna we had on hand for making poke about once a week.

Hmmm that was not before January...before January...nope I've got nothing.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2020 11:44AM by Markintosh.
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: April 08, 2020 11:53AM
We normally have a lot of TP on hand - probably 6 months worth. When I saw a good deal on a huge pack, I got it.

I started making kimchi in January and also got sourdough starter. Those are great things to have.
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: April 08, 2020 12:01PM
NewtonMP2100
....recent thong emergency.....so have like 50 thongs to use as.....

I'm sitting here trying to imagine what a "thong emergency" might entail. Did a busload of Chippendale's dancers enlist your help in securing new thongs after accidentally washing all of theirs with regular bleach instead of Clorox II (It takes a whole bunch of thongs to make a full washer load, you know) and you overbought just in case they're in your neighborhood when that happens again?

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

What's my "Super Power"? I can make active threads go stone-dead with a single post. I try to use this power only for good and not for evil but, you know... stuff happens.
Posted by: GGD
Date: April 08, 2020 12:04PM
DeusxMac
We just happened to run out of liquid hand soap In December, so picked up a Costco-ized twin jug.
It will probably last us well past development and distribution of an anti-COVID vaccine.

I was also well stocked on the Costco twin jugs of soft soap. They were purchased a few years ago when on sale.

I was concerned because a few years ago my wife told me to stop buying it, even when on sale because we had too much. When the hoarding started I did a quick search of the house to see what we had left and I found two open jugs under sinks, and an unopened two-jug pack under another sink. We're good until the next pandemic.

I even saw some available at Costco two weeks ago and passed on the opportunity to buy more.

I too had some latex gloves bought years ago at Home Depot, a box of 100 gloves that I had only used a few of.

On the flip side, I probably could have held off filling the tanks on all of the cars in late Feb / early March. Both price and consumption have dropped since then.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: April 08, 2020 12:37PM
rgG
I got my TP and Kleenex restocked, in early March.

March of 2019??
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: April 08, 2020 12:41PM
Nothing. I have always kept a two month supply of all household necessities, and the pantry/freezer are also about a two month supply.

My problem is that when I do my online ordering and pick up, there are lots of things out of stock or the website acts goofy. Some items list as OOS while others will error out when I choose them. I'm jonesing for a ny strip steak but cannot get one at my store. Hit and miss, but this week was a miss. I am trying to shop 3 weeks at a time.

Online ordering was a lot smoother before the pandemic.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Michael
Date: April 08, 2020 12:47PM
Cereal. Kroger has had 3 day deals for the last couple of years and cereal is one of the things that they offer once in a while for a remarkably low price. They allow 5 items per sale. My wife and I each have a Kroger card and so we bought 10 boxes of various cereals twice in the fall. That's quite a bit of cereal!
Date: April 08, 2020 12:57PM
.....cereal.....killer..........

.......deal......

Posted by: Ammo
Date: April 08, 2020 01:00PM
A plug for donations to your local food shelf if you are able. Cash is always accepted.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: jdc
Date: April 08, 2020 01:30PM
Wife went to target and trader joes in Sacramento this morning... besides the 6 ft spacing, and things taking longer than normal -- everything was in stock.

Maybe no hand sanitizer or wipes -- but the rest was fine.

TP, tissue, meat. canned stuff, milk, eggs -- plenty.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: April 08, 2020 03:33PM
For us the only thing TJs has been out of is one frozen good or another depending on the trip. No green beans this time, no waffles next time, none of our fave fish the following, etc.
Nothing...
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 08, 2020 04:48PM
...except a dozen cans of Albacore tuna.

I don't normally keep caches of goods, other than enough to cover me 'till an item goes back on sale at Costco.

I was due to get some of my favorites when things started to go a little T/U.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: April 08, 2020 08:28PM
I learned from my GF to take advantage of a sale, although I'm not quite as willing as he was to stockpile.
Date: April 08, 2020 09:02PM
.....list......most just lucky to have plenty.....bottled water and sanitizer bought as the pandemic was happening in other places (just in case).....

toilet paper (plenty)
paper towels (plenty)
lysol/clorox wipes (plenty)
bottles of water (plenty)
hand sanitizer (plenty)
hand soap (plenty)

Date: May 04, 2020 10:17PM
......what about condoms.......???

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 86
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020