advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
New iPad screen is a dissapointment
Posted by: davemchine
Date: April 08, 2020 06:25PM
My old iPad Pro has been very unreliable even after a clean wipe and reinstall so I bought the brand new iPad Pro 4. I just assumed the screen would be brighter (since iPhone screens have become brighter) but the new iPad is the exact same brightness as the old one (brightness of 600 nits). Very disappointing. It's my own fault for not reading the specs but I wanted to post in case anyone else was considering the upgrade for the screen.

BTW, I placed both the old and new ipad outside in the sunlight with the exact same frame of a movie and there was no visible difference. My new iPhone with oled screen was MUCH brighter side by side. I took a few pics but later discovered my reflection in each picture so I'm not posting them. :-)

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: New iPad screen is a dissapointment
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 08, 2020 06:55PM
....there was a review @ macrumors....they said it was the exact same as the old iPad, except updated chip [ which really wasn't needed ], that was it.....so buy the older model.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: April 08, 2020 10:39PM
Does the new iPad have an OLED screen?

It is what it is.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: April 09, 2020 12:20AM
davemchine
My old iPad Pro has been very unreliable even after a clean wipe and reinstall so I bought the brand new iPad Pro 4. I just assumed the screen would be brighter (since iPhone screens have become brighter) but the new iPad is the exact same brightness as the old one (brightness of 600 nits).

iPad Pro 1st generation has a display brightness of 400 nits.

Is screen brightness your sole criterion for determining disappointment or satisfaction, Dave? (I'm hoping for a more complete review from you.)
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: April 09, 2020 10:12AM
There's an obvious reason for that.

If they make the screen brighter, the battery doesn't last as long and there will be people out there saying "Apple claims 12 hours and mine only gets 8 hours!" No you can't fix that with fine print or details, this is the stuff of 100,000 views on YouTube.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 09, 2020 10:51AM
.....and a brighter star.....fades quicker...........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: davemchine
Date: April 09, 2020 12:20PM
AA,

My old iPad had become almost unusable. The screen would become unresponsive to touch leaving me tapping the screen until it did something. Very frustrating. I posted about it here and eventually reset the ipad but it did not solve the problem and it was getting worse. So when the new ipad's came out I ordered one. My primary goal was simply to get a working ipad but a friend had told me the screen would be brighter and that was going to be an added bonus. I should have done my own research there!

As for how well the new ipad works I am overall happy. It is responsive, it is fast, sound is good, and I really like the magnetic pencil. My old pencil was always dead but this one is always charged as it is usually connected. I still struggle with the lack of home button and have to think about what I am doing. The facial recognition is fantastic and more reliable than I had expected. The smaller bezel is very attractive. I'm still getting used to the new way of authorizing payments but it works well. Overall I am happy and would say my only complaints are the lack of oled screen (which they did not promise me) and the price tag seemed steep.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: April 09, 2020 08:07PM
Thanks, Dave.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 74
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020