advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Not All Shopping Experiences Are The Same
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: April 08, 2020 08:42PM
Grade A+: Trader Joes (Reno) Limiting admissions to store to about 25% of normal, sterilizing carts before they come back to a new customer, all employees and customers are respecting social distancing guidelines, decals on the floor clearly indicate cart spacing at checkout, prices are the same as always, payments are totally contact free

Grade A-: Safeway (Truckee) Carts are sterilized as they are returned from the lot, people do a pretty good job of respecting social distancing, decals are clearly placed for spacing checkout queues; limited stocks of paper & cleaning products; must forego Safeway rewards points to preserve contact free payments (or to buy most produce at self check), Some questionable pricing going on, this Safeway is always expensive but $6.99 for cream cheese? $5.69 for good eggs?

Grade D-: WalMart (Reno) Carts are not sterilized, cart wipes and hand sanitizer are empty. Carts are upended in front of the store to create a queue for store entrance but it only forces people to be closer than I want to be, and nobody is controlling entires vs exits, nobody respects social distancing, no paper products or cleaning products other than furniture polish and furniture wax, items ordered for pickup required the closest contact with employees while they checked our pickup tag, no Apple Pay available, they continue to check receipts on the way out, causing a line to form as people are trying to get out of there. We could not walk past those waiting without getting closer than 6 feet.

Mrs Markintosh and I both agree, there will be no more WalMart purchases any time in the near future.

We're trying to limit total grocery shopping to one store per week.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2020 08:44PM by Markintosh.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Not All Shopping Experiences Are The Same
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 08, 2020 08:45PM
....the important question is....did you get TP.......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: April 08, 2020 08:49PM
NewtonMP2100
....the important question is....did you get TP.......???

Yes, I did get one jumbo pack of Cottonelle. We still have a pretty good stock from the last Costo purchase in December...we did not need it yet, but I am not planning on Costco any time soon.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Posted by: Speedy
Date: April 08, 2020 09:38PM
We shopped tonight. Carts are wiped when you get one. Hand sanitizer is dispensed by a human as you enter the shopping area with your clean cart although you can sanitize before getting a cart. All employees are masked as are most shoppers.

And they have plenty of toilet paper (a La Comer supermercado in Mexico City):

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: blooz
Date: April 08, 2020 09:50PM
I went to the co-op market in Northampton this morning. I got there for the "senior" hour before younger people are let in. They limited number of customers—order of the mayor—I waited in line til someone came out and I could go in. Had to wash my hands, use their gloves, not my own, and got a cart an employee wiped down. Most customers had face masks and gloves, still it wasn't easy to always be six feet away from anyone. I appreciate the store doing all it can to keep people safe, but boy was it an ordeal. I bought more than I intended to just so I wouldn't have to come back soon. And yes they had TP.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2020 09:51PM by blooz.
Posted by: jdc
Date: April 08, 2020 10:07PM
Cottenelle is awesome.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: April 09, 2020 12:14AM
jdc
Cottenelle is awesome.

I've shied away from it due to concern about it leaving Klingons around Uranus.
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: April 09, 2020 06:03AM
I go to one store every 2 weeks. It leaves me with no fresh veggies for a while, other than cabbage and potatoes, but I manage (we don’t eat meat).

Last time it was Aldi. It wasn’t crowded but the employees kept almost GRAZING us near the checkout, and while they were washing the floor and stuff, they stayed in the center of the aisle so you couldn’t get by. Few were wearing masks or gloves and most customers certainly didn’t help maintain 6’ spacing. We kept going down aisles we didn’t want to keep away from people. We got about half of what we wanted. For some reason, I haven’t seen a hot pepper available since this started.
Posted by: DP
Date: April 09, 2020 06:15AM
Wife was at Target yesterday and got some t.p! A limit of one 12-pack of Angel Soft. We have enough to last a month maybe and other groceries are well stocked at the store.

But like Recipe says shoppers are acting like all is back to normal. Wife says she's walking up an aisle and other shoppers see her but come into the aisle anyway where they can't stay six feet apart from her. By now, you would think there would be more common sense...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: space-time
Date: April 09, 2020 06:58AM
they continue to check receipts on the way out, causing a line to form as people are trying to get out of there.

from what I understand, this is illegal, unless you agree to it priori when signing up for membership at a club such as Costco, BJ, Sam's Club. But at non-club stores once you paid and departed the checkout, the transaction is complete, they have no right to ask you for receipt or to show what you have in your bags.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: April 09, 2020 07:20AM
Paper shelves are pretty empty, but I scored some yesterday. Its now my first stop. The stocker was opening a couple of cases. I grabbed one (Limit 1) and felt like a million bucks!

Got some coffee, but I forgot my oranges!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: d4
Date: April 09, 2020 08:08AM
A large Asian supermarket by me in Long Island, NY was extremely proactive early on in sanitizing and protecting customers and workers alike before pretty much any other store in the area. Cart wipe downs, sanitizer spray station, free gloves, and masked, gloved cashiers. No other local or big box store in the area was doing any of this at the time. They followed the news first-hand from Asia and knew the graveness of the situation regardless of what the US politicians, medical experts and media was saying at the time.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2020 08:24AM by d4.
Date: April 09, 2020 10:11AM
space-time
they continue to check receipts on the way out, causing a line to form as people are trying to get out of there.

from what I understand, this is illegal, unless you agree to it priori when signing up for membership at a club such as Costco, BJ, Sam's Club. But at non-club stores once you paid and departed the checkout, the transaction is complete, they have no right to ask you for receipt or to show what you have in your bags.

I never stop for those receipt checks, which really makes Mrs Markintosh uncomfortable. On this last trip to WM, we tried to negotiate around the crowd backed up at the receipt checker but could not stay 6 feet away. It didn't help that they only had one of the two entrances/exits open.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 09, 2020 12:03PM
....when I went to Aldi last week......the woman behind me (20s/30s) had a mask and would stand right behind me......no distance.........when I moved up, she would move right up behind me.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 141
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020