advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
wow. pretty good run with my Brother laser. It's asking for a new drum, I think I'll just replace the printer.
Posted by: clay
Date: April 14, 2020 09:29AM
Bought the HL-2170W back in 2009 if my records are correct. The device is reporting that I've printed just under 100 pages per month since putting it into service. The "replace drum" warning light is now showing, and the printer reports that I've got about 8% of drum life left (just under 1000 pages) before it is depleted. I've had a great record with this printer, hardly a single hiccup. Just a couple toner cartridges and nothing else other than years of fast reliable home/home office printing.

At this point, I guess I'll just use it til it doesn't work any longer. The toner looks like it is about 3/4 full, so that would probably last me until after this drum is depleted.

For what was probably about a $100 printer (don't remember exactly), 10 years (and counting) is a really good run. I guess I'll start keeping an eye out for another sale on Brother's current low-end B&W lasers (for proofing, of course).
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: wow. pretty good run with my Brother laser. It's asking for a new drum, I think I'll just replace the printer.
Posted by: pdq
Date: April 14, 2020 10:15AM
Here’s a HL-L2350DW for $89 at Amazon, via Slickdeals.

Is “Amazon Dash” enabled, but I think that’s optional.
Re: wow. pretty good run with my Brother laser. It's asking for a new drum, I think I'll just replace the printer.
Posted by: Mactel
Date: April 14, 2020 10:34AM
Here's a Staples deal:

Staples is offering the Brother MFC-L2710DW All-In-One Monochrome Laser Printer for the best deal.

Regular Price is $149.99 Shipped

1. Staples Price is $139.99 Shipped

2. Use coupon promo code 66122 to get it for $114.99

Final Price is $114.99 Shipped
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: April 14, 2020 11:01AM
FYI: OEM DR-360 drum kits for that printer can easily run $120, but generics run less than $20.

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 14, 2020 11:10AM
Here’s a HL-L2350DW for $89 at Amazon

That's a nice printer for the money.

Duplexing is nice also, though I don't have much use for it.

I wanted to know its dimensions (14x14x7) so instead of going to the site and digging around, I checked out the comments (1000+, 75 unique).

Geeeze, there are a lot of people how should not be allowed to access technology:

Is the a color printer
does it come with ink
does it copy
does it scan
does it print to both sides

and more, and several asked more than once.

Oy.

It's still not quite as compact as I like, so the little HP I got recently will do nicely, and may outlast me.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2020 11:10AM by RAMd®d.
Posted by: jdc
Date: April 14, 2020 11:23AM
Sarcany
FYI: OEM DR-360 drum kits for that printer can easily run $120, but generics run less than $20.

This.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: April 14, 2020 11:37AM
Does anyone know how generic drums are in terms of quality and longevity?

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

A lie told often enough becomes the truth. Vladimir Lenin
Posted by: GGD
Date: April 14, 2020 12:32PM
How's the print quality? Brother's drum life warnings are based purely on page count. If quality is still good just keep printing, at least on my Brother Lasers the "replace drum" message you get when it gets to "0%" is just a recommendation, it doesn't prevent printing.

There's usually a slider on the drum to clean the corona wire, you might want to slide that back and forth a few times. I do that at least every time I replace a toner cartridge.

With mine, once I hit zero on the drum, I usually stretch the drum life until the current toner cartridge is empty unless print quality degrades too much before then.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: April 14, 2020 12:43PM
agree smiley

What G2D said.
==
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: April 14, 2020 01:08PM
jdc
Sarcany

This.
agree smiley
And if the generic does not work, return for a full refund.

Onino is $16.99 at bezosville

The E-Z Ink version is $21.99
(fwiw, I use E-Z Ink carts in my MFC-J825DW, never a problem.)

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: April 14, 2020 01:45PM
New Brother machines use chipped cartridges, so I'd follow GGD's advice instead.
Posted by: d4
Date: April 14, 2020 02:01PM
I have a 15 year old Brother HL-5250DN. Upgradable RAM. Built like a tank.
It's survived through 3 moves, a marriage, 3 jobs, 2 kids and a global pandemic!

Posted by: Michael
Date: April 14, 2020 02:07PM
Here's a Brother HL-L2370DW Compact Monochrome Laser Printer with Wireless & Ethernet and Duplex Printing for $75 from Staples with the code 66122. You have to get over $100 to use the code, so buy some paperclips or an eraser or something very cheap.

[www.staples.com]

[www.staples.com]
Posted by: clay
Date: April 14, 2020 02:25PM
thanks, all. I think for now I'll just use it as-is until the print quality deteriorates. Good note about the chipped carts, wasn't aware Brother was doing that now.

Even spending $20 on a generic drum doesn't seem worth it if a new version of what I've got is $75. But maybe I'll come around to that line of thought. Just seems like putting 25% of the price of a new one into a 10+ year old printer can't be worth it. Oh well. We'll see....
Posted by: Buck
Date: April 14, 2020 03:29PM
Go color: Brother HL-L8360CDW
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: April 14, 2020 11:14PM
Michael
Here's a Brother HL-L2370DW Compact Monochrome Laser Printer with Wireless & Ethernet and Duplex Printing for $75 from Staples with the code 66122. You have to get over $100 to use the code, so buy some paperclips or an eraser or something very cheap.

I bought that printer from Staples about 10 days ago, it’s pretty lame. Here are the problems I encountered, detailed in an Amazon review of the very similar 2350 model:

“The Wireless Device Setup Wizard is buggy and does not work. The "Temporarily use a USB cable (Recommended)" option doesn't detect the printer and disables bluetooth input devices instead. The exact same connection works for printing and for configuring the device via the printer driver. I used a Mac running OS 10.13.6 and the wizard version that was current as of 25 Jan 2019.

Using the System Preferences Printers & Scanners utility, you can use the backdoor over the USB connection to configure the device. None of the materials that come with the printer tell you the "Login" is "initpass".

Once you find the wireless setup sections there are several other problems.

The Wireless (Setup Wizard) section doesn't let you enter your SSID, so if you don't broadcast yours you can't use this tool at all.

The Wireless (Personal) is ironically the way to configure this for a managed wireless network. However, even though this is advertised as supporting 802.11n networks, it **does not** support 5 GHz. Very disappointing.

Also, it only supports a "Passphrase" for WPA2 pre-shared keys that is limited to 63 characters. The problem is the wireless standard supports 64 hexadecimal digits. Every other device on my networks — include our Xbox One and Nintendo Switches — have no problem with this. Again, very disappointing.

So this is being returned. I understand it's a cheap printer, but this is really basic functionality that should be the default at this point in the tech lifecycle.“

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 126
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020