advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
SciFi/Fantasy series you wish were being made over Dune version X
Posted by: sekker
Date: April 14, 2020 07:29PM
With Dune being re-re-re-re-re-released, I thought I'd start a thread on just a few books I'd rather see a movie.

1) Pern; literally even the WORST book on this planet would be better than Dune X. DragonFlight would be awesome tho.

2) Startide Rising - truly AWESOME aliens.

3) The Belgariad

4) For the more obscure - The Black Company

Post your favorites here!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: SciFi/Fantasy series you wish were being made over Dune version X
Posted by: Spiff
Date: April 14, 2020 07:46PM
Original Dragonlance trilogy. ‘Nuff said.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 14, 2020 07:57PM
....Barbarella.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: RgrF
Date: April 14, 2020 07:57PM
Cixin Liu is a Chinese SciFi writer who's work has been translated. It's some of the most original scifi you'll find out there.
Start with: The Three-body Problem
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: April 14, 2020 08:17PM
Robert Asprin's Myth series. I've watched next to no TV for years and stopped watching movies much but I'd be glued to the TV for that.

TV adaptations of Big Finish's Doctor Who audio dramas. There are only about 260 2-hour long ones available from the main range and minimum 3x that amount for the other ranges. If you are a Whovian, you should listen to Spare Parts, it's fantastic.
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: April 14, 2020 08:37PM
Lew Zealand
Robert Asprin's Myth series. I've watched next to no TV for years and stopped watching movies much but I'd be glued to the TV for that.

^ This. I always pictured it animated and Aahz being voiced by Ernest Borgnine. Mark Hamill or any number of younger actors could do Skeeve in their sleep. Tina Louise as Tananda. Tom Davis (British actor/comedian) as Chumley.

Robert Asprin's Phule series, the first two books at least, would make a good film and sequel but I haven't really given any thought to casting those.

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

Stop and think about this: If you're able to shout the words "I CAN'T BREATHE!!!" at considerable volume, then you have just proven to anyone listening that you can indeed breathe.

"I don't see color, I just see ugly" - Joe Jitsukawa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2020 08:40PM by Thrift Store Scott.
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: April 14, 2020 08:55PM
Ray Bradbury- any of his stories that haven’t been done yet.
Posted by: sekker
Date: April 14, 2020 09:29PM
Lizabeth
Ray Bradbury- any of his stories that haven’t been done yet.

'Friday'
Posted by: PeterB
Date: April 14, 2020 09:35PM
Either of two by John Christopher:

The Tripods

or

Empty World

(the latter being especially relevant to what's going on right now)

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: April 14, 2020 10:03PM
1. Anything by Lois McMaster Bujold. Start with Vorkosigan, then Chalion.

2. Startide Rising.

3. More than Human.

4. The Female Man.

5. Small Gods, by Terry Pratchett.

6. The Serrano Series, by Elizabeth Moon.

7. Anything by Shari S. Tepper

8. Redshirts by Scalzi

9. A Memory Called Empire.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: April 14, 2020 10:18PM
Buck Rogers

Flash Gordon

Lost Room (although there's nothing wrong with the original)

Helix (Hasn't been gone that long but it could have gone much further)

Colossus the Forbin Project

John Carter (hasn't been that long but they should have done more)

Kin-Dza-Dza (not really but nobody's heard of it but should have)

Fahrenheit 451

Jumper (it could have been so so much better)
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: April 14, 2020 10:37PM
davemchine
Flash Gordon

With the right lead it could be great. Keep the flavor and bright colors of the original source material: Do it not too serious and a little bit campy, but maybe not quite as campy as the 1980 film.

davemchine
Colossus the Forbin Project

The story couldn't be more timely, but it has already been made into a film and a very good one, so I'm afraid a remake would only be worse.

davemchine
Fahrenheit 451

It would be absolutely perfect if it was updated with Twitter Puritans being the ones burning books they consider "problematic", but Hollywood currently worships at the Twitter altar so that'll never happen.

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

Stop and think about this: If you're able to shout the words "I CAN'T BREATHE!!!" at considerable volume, then you have just proven to anyone listening that you can indeed breathe.

"I don't see color, I just see ugly" - Joe Jitsukawa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2020 11:22PM by Thrift Store Scott.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: April 14, 2020 10:57PM
Larry Niven's Known Space series, but each novel would be one season each!
Start with "Ringworld"!

Harry Turtledove's Timeline-191 series!
Interesting Study in the rise of a dictator!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Sam3
Date: April 15, 2020 04:06AM
E. E. "Doc" Smith's Lensman series.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Posted by: DP
Date: April 15, 2020 05:40AM
John Carter

Don't know why the movie was poo-pooed. There have certainly been other movies far worse. The Tharks were exactly as I pictured them.

But I'd like to see the Earthsea Cycle by Ursula K. Le Guin rendered into something.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: blooz
Date: April 15, 2020 09:28AM
The Peripheral by William Gibson.
Just finished rereading it. I think it would be a great movie.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: Rolando
Date: April 15, 2020 10:16AM
DP
John Carter

Don't know why the movie was poo-pooed. There have certainly been other movies far worse. The Tharks were exactly as I pictured them.

Read the John Carter of Mars books as a teen. Enjoyed the movie.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: April 15, 2020 10:20AM
I can throw a few things on here, but it's not like there's been six or seven versions of Dune. There's been two (and a continuation). The David Lynch one from the early 80s and the SyFy Channel version, which led to an adaptation of another book in the series.

Still and all, I would far rather have seen Dune adapted as a streaming channel series; it's got the breadth & scope that would have rivaled Game of Thrones.

My first throw into this arena would be the Martian Tales of Edgar Rice Burroughs. I really enjoyed the John Carter film (so did the family), and have watched it a number of times since its release. There's lots of reasons this failed. (See; John Carter and the Gods of Hollywood). This is another one that could be a film series (each book = a movie) or work better as an unrated (read the books) streaming channel series.

Echoing a few others here; E.E. "Doc" Smith's Lensman series & Larry Niven's Known Space series come to mind.

Personally, I would absolutely love to see (again, more as a series) Jack McDevitt's Alex Benedict series come to life. Set in the very far future (around 12k years) in a universe where man has settled throughout the milky way. It's kind of a mystery series meets Indiana Jones kind of thing. I really enjoy the books.

Have to agree with Thrift Store Scott re/COLOSSUS: THE FORBIN PROJECT; though a timely storyline I think the original film was just perfect. Ditto THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN; it's a regular read and the original film is a regular watch. Tried the remakes/re-imaginings and they just fell flat for me, missing what made the original so memorable.

Michael Flynn's The Wreck of the RIVER OF STARS. This one haunts me. Ditto SOLARIS. Never have gotten to see any film adaptation.

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2020 10:21AM by Zoidberg.
Posted by: sunfalcon
Date: April 15, 2020 03:57PM
Old Man's War - Scalzi

Gateway - Frederick Pohl
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: April 15, 2020 06:18PM
sunfalcon
Old Man's War - Scalzi

Gateway - Frederick Pohl

Definitely these.

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: davemchine
Date: April 17, 2020 12:18AM
Old Mans War was great
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 206
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020