advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Sadness goes beyond current issues...
Posted by: DP
Date: April 16, 2020 12:02PM
Just heard a long time friend passed away yesterday. We had known each other since 9th grade.

I talked to his widow and she said he died from a brain aneurysm. It sounds like it was instantaneous and he felt no pain.

53 years is a long time to have a friend. I have been lucky to have had and still do enjoy a few long time friends. Maybe that makes it harder to lose those friends.

He will be greatly missed...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Sadness goes beyond current issues...
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: April 16, 2020 12:29PM
I’m so sorry. The loss of a long-term friend is very painful, even more so when sudden with no chance for goodbyes.
I wish I could say something helpful and profound, but all I can do is sympathize.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 16, 2020 12:34PM
Oof. Sorry for your loss.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: April 16, 2020 12:52PM
I'm sorry for your loss.

I have a few near-lifelong friends; at 70, I'm starting to wonder who will go first.

Posted by: rgG
Date: April 16, 2020 12:53PM
So sorry to hear of this. sad smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: April 16, 2020 01:50PM
condolences.
Posted by: Buck
Date: April 16, 2020 02:49PM
It sounds like you were a true friend.

Even though we all share the same fate, it still hurts and we miss'm.
Posted by: blooz
Date: April 16, 2020 03:13PM
I've got a few going into the mid-70's, like me. I worry about all of us at this point. Mostly I've lost family over the years. when my sister died in January it left me as the last of the original family. Kind of a lonely spot. So glad I have children.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: Ammo
Date: April 16, 2020 03:38PM
I’m very sorry to hear that. Long-times friends provide a connection to the past, which is somehow reassuring (at least to me).

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: Pam
Date: April 16, 2020 03:43PM
I'm so very sorry. Another negative about getting older.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: April 16, 2020 05:00PM
My condolences.

I lost a childhood friend a few years ago. Jimmy smoked like a chimney, drank like a fish, and was known to partake in illicit drugs from time to time. It caught up with him in his mid fifties with lung cancer.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Silencio
Date: April 16, 2020 05:38PM
I'm so sorry for your loss.
Posted by: DP
Date: April 16, 2020 06:37PM
Thanks, all. Getting into the weeds a little, my friend has been disabled for the past 22 years. He was originally diagnosed with aneurysms of the arteries that fed the eyeballs. He was told that nothing could be done about it and he had a 50/50 chance of dying at any time from a rupture! Then, he got a phone call from a surgeon who had devised a procedure to basically do bypasses of the arteries, such as what is done with heart patients!

That was 21 years ago and tho he has been legally blind he was alive and happy. He could no longer be gainfully employed-Lord knows he tried-and he went on S.S. Disability.

He also knew that because of the newness of the procedure, there was no guarantee how long it would work. Well, he got 21 years out of it and when he went for his yearly check ups, the doctor (the same one who did the surgery) remarked that he was surprised it had lasted that long!

So there will be no funeral as he never wanted one. All he wants is a party to celebrate his life. We will do just that, hopefully sooner than later. In the meantime, there is a toast to him on FB and we have probably twelve of us to raise a glass at 8PM...

R.I.P. Jeff...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: April 16, 2020 08:20PM
Thanks for sharing those details. Sorry for your loss.

Tod's keyboard
Posted by: Rolando
Date: April 16, 2020 09:02PM
Sorry for your loss. Fifteen years ago, I had to let a friend go. I had a family. He had a drug and alcohol problem, and an enabling girlfriend.

I never stopped thinking about him, but his way lay madness...

Late last year, he sent me a friend request on FB. I accepted and we talked. He was playing music again and wanted to see me.

Seeing him again, hearing him play, it was like seeing a ghost. He's dry and sober, and recovering from a stroke.

Twenty years ago, he said "We made to thirty!" and we had a drink for our friends who didn't. On his 50th I told him "We made it fifty! (not quite for me at the time) We had some club sodas to those who didn't make it this far.

I had a beer after he left.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: April 16, 2020 09:51PM
Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend.

Grateful11
Posted by: wave rider
Date: April 17, 2020 02:23AM
Sorry for your loss…

=wr=
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 222
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020