advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
ALDI's Shopping Report
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: April 17, 2020 10:36AM
It's been over two weeks since my last foray.
Big change was entry restricted, cleaned carts issued out, & aisles now one-way.
Did have to ask three shoppers not to block the aisle (cart in center), guess they're
clueless as to the 'new protocols' plus they weren't wearing masks.

Only noticeable shortage was of course TP, just 4-packs with a limit of two.
Plenty of everything else! Got grapes, bananas, bread, rolls, & paper towels.
Gal. Milk or Doz. Large Eggs: $1.29 Fresh OJ still $1.99. No price gouging either.
Got everything on my list plus a few other items.

Made a quick stop @ Redners. Noticed as reported earlier by NEWT,
Land O Lakes has changed their packaging.
Very stark design, imho they need an attention getting logo.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: ALDI's Shopping Report
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: April 17, 2020 11:13AM
MrNoBody
Did have to ask three shoppers not to block the aisle (cart in center), guess they're clueless as to the 'new protocols' plus they weren't wearing masks.

Don’t confuse selfishness with cluelessness... although I suppose it’s possible they are both.

It is what it is.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 17, 2020 12:16PM
My Aldi's experience from last weekend was identical. Staff in Ohio isn't wearing masks (I wish they would, it's better forTHEM !) Cashiers are working from behind Plexiglas barriers and wear gloves, so I guess they are more in contact. Not changing gloves after each customer though, but they are wiping down with paper towels and cleaning spray.

No TP or hand sanitizer, but most everything else is restocked.

the 'good' TP was restocked in my local Sam's club, so the package of 1 ply goes to the emergency stock in the basement.
Posted by: d4
Date: April 17, 2020 02:15PM
Any disposable surgical type masks in stock? (Not N95).

Posted by: Bernie
Date: April 17, 2020 04:03PM
When times were good and everybody had full shelves of anything you could think of the Wife and I checked out Aldis. It had been here over a year but it is on the other end of town.

Krogers was out of Newman's Own Breakfast Blend Coffee. Food Lion never carried it so lets check out the new guy.

Aldis did not carry any Label or Brand that we felt comfortable buying. So we headed to Martins and bought some coffee.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 17, 2020 04:42PM
.....most of Aldis brands are made by (anonymously) or in the same factories that name brands are.......most are concerned about the 'no brand name' but this isn't the 'bad' no name brands of the past......most are pretty good......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: blooz
Date: April 17, 2020 04:47PM
I lucked out yesterday just being able to walk in to the Big Y, but I noticed someone taking count. When I left the store there were about ten people lined up waiting to go in. Guess they reached their limit.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: Acer
Date: April 17, 2020 06:14PM
NewtonMP2100
.....most of Aldis brands are made by (anonymously) or in the same factories that name brands are.......most are concerned about the 'no brand name' but this isn't the 'bad' no name brands of the past......most are pretty good......

Yup. For store brands, ALDI is usually worth taking a chance. It's not the floor sweepings that were store brands in our youth.
Date: April 17, 2020 06:24PM
Never had an issue with ALDI's private label goods.
btw, their beef (fresh & frozen) is excellent.

They are such a large multinational business, they can muscle the 'big boys'
(P&G, ConAgra, etc.) for commitments. They also own Trader Joe's !
Estimated FY2020 revenue is $57 Billion USD.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo

Posted by: wurm
Date: April 17, 2020 06:48PM
MrNoBody
They also own Trader Joe's !

That surprised me, so I checked it out. Not quite. The confusion arises from the fact that their ownership groups, currently separate, have a shared history.[www.producebluebook.com]
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: April 17, 2020 07:39PM
MrNoBody
Big change was entry restricted, cleaned carts issued out...

Who took your quarter??

Posted by: Racer X
Date: April 17, 2020 08:20PM
NewtonMP2100

sometimes you can identify the producer by specific packaging details. I purchased some tea, and it had the exact same box, down to the perforations and flaps, and same mylar inner pouches for 40 tea bags, as the Trader Joe's Irish Breakfast I usually use. Can't guarantee the tea inside is the same, but it came from the same factory.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: April 17, 2020 08:36PM
Bernie
When times were good and everybody had full shelves of anything you could think of the Wife and I checked out Aldis. It had been here over a year but it is on the other end of town.

Krogers was out of Newman's Own Breakfast Blend Coffee. Food Lion never carried it so lets check out the new guy.

Aldis did not carry any Label or Brand that we felt comfortable buying. So we headed to Martins and bought some coffee.

That was my impression of Aldi exactly.

Acer
NewtonMP2100

Yup. For store brands, ALDI is usually worth taking a chance. It's not the floor sweepings that were store brands in our youth.

Part of the confusion I felt was that Aldi store brands weren't clearly marked as such as with Piggly Wiggly's store brand stuff, nor was there one cheap brand available in everything that is less obviously the store brand such as "Southern Home" at Winn-Dixie or (in my youth) "Staff" at Food World, so my assumption was that these were just individual possibly weird foreign brands of unknown quality.

I've always been a big consumer of store brand stuff, with very few disappointments. The only difference between "Staff" products and name brand stuff was that they tended to have less salt/seasoning in them which allowed me to season them to my own taste, and the only time Piggly Wiggly store brand stuff has let me down was their Peach Preserves which, despite having visible chunks of actual peaches in them, had no peach flavor at all. On the flip side I like Piggly Wiggly store brand canned tomato soup much better than Campbell's because it has a more pronounced fresh tomato flavor, ditto P/W Orange Marmalade because it has the faintly bitter, strong orange zest flavor marmalade should have versus the flavorless, nauseating sweetness of the Smucker's version of same, so still a win for P/W store brand stuff overall.

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

Stop and think about this: If you're able to shout the words "I CAN'T BREATHE!!!" at considerable volume, then you have just proven to anyone listening that you can indeed breathe.

"I don't see color, I just see ugly" - Joe Jitsukawa
Date: April 17, 2020 09:39PM
Sarcany
MrNoBody

Who took your quarter??

No one. They had two employees outside, one was the 'doorman' and the other
was handing out carts, wrangling, & cleaning the carts. Smooth operation.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo

Posted by: Sarcany
Date: April 17, 2020 09:44PM
MrNoBody
Sarcany
MrNoBody

Who took your quarter??

No one. They had two employees outside, one was the 'doorman' and the other
was handing out carts, wrangling, & cleaning the carts. Smooth operation.

Whoohoo!! Free carts!

I'm going to Aldi's!!

Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: April 18, 2020 07:46AM
We use the local LIDL for as much as possible, because it's the cheapest, supplemented by Harris-Teeter.

Never a deposit charge for a cart at LIDL.
Date: April 18, 2020 09:35AM
....LIDL.....did we know this fact......

Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: April 18, 2020 09:45AM
Bill in NC
We use the local LIDL for as much as possible, because it's the cheapest, supplemented by Harris-Teeter.

Never a deposit charge for a cart at LIDL.

I didn't know we had those in the US.

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

Stop and think about this: If you're able to shout the words "I CAN'T BREATHE!!!" at considerable volume, then you have just proven to anyone listening that you can indeed breathe.

"I don't see color, I just see ugly" - Joe Jitsukawa
Date: April 18, 2020 09:47AM
.....yes....LIDL has started opening stores in the U.S.........

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 118
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020