advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
current home annoyance - electrical workbox setback - when was the standard updated?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: April 20, 2020 09:15AM
I've been replacing a number of outlets and switches in my home because they're old and worn. I've been petty annoyed at the amount of trouble I've had getting Decora (modern) looking light covers to fit nicely and then I realized that all the work boxes sit behind the wall surface. Nowadays they're supposed to be installed flush with the wall.

When did this change and was it less than 30 years ago?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: current home annoyance - electrical workbox setback - when was the standard updated?
Posted by: bik
Date: April 20, 2020 09:21AM
Are you sure someone before you did not renovate with a 1/4- or 3/8-inch drywall over the original walls?

In any case, they sell extension collars in different depths:
[www.homedepot.com]
Re: current home annoyance - electrical workbox setback - when was the standard updated?
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: April 20, 2020 10:11AM
bik
Are you sure someone before you did not renovate with a 1/4- or 3/8-inch drywall over the original walls?

[www.homedepot.com]

Thanks!

You just solved a huge problem with the outlets in my mom's house. smiling smiley

Posted by: Fritz
Date: April 20, 2020 10:39AM
I've had a few instances like that in the house.
Back then I ripped, rehung, patched. I was way to OCD.
Extension collar, definitely.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Date: April 20, 2020 10:46AM
Sarcany
bik

[www.homedepot.com]

Thanks!

You just solved a huge problem with the outlets in my mom's house. smiling smiley

Unfortunately it looks like they're no longer sold by home depot. I was going crazy looking for them on the home depot website. It doesn't show them although they come up quickly if you do a google search.

It appears that ordering directly from the company is your best bet. This is fine if you need to replace quite a number of them with the same item but I was hoping to try one and see how it goes. Also, I have a variety of wall board thicknesses.

Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: April 20, 2020 11:18AM
Unfortunately it looks like they're no longer sold by home depot. I was going crazy looking for them on the home depot website.

???? I clicked on bik's link. Took me to the item page which shows 59 in-stock at store (Glasgow 19702).

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: bobinmurphy
Date: April 20, 2020 11:20AM
The simple solution I found at a commercial electrical supply store is a package of Cat-A-Pillars from L.H. Dottie Co. They're a foldable wiring device spacer & shim that you can tailor is the amount of shimming needed to securely mount the outlet in an existing box.

[www.usesi.com]
Posted by: Fritz
Date: April 20, 2020 11:28AM
[www.lowes.com]

also, some time later I found another. I e-taped the switch/outlet and used longer screws for the plate. No, it's not legal, but I ain't going nowhere.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2020 11:30AM by Fritz.
Posted by: bik
Date: April 20, 2020 11:30AM
mattkime
Sarcany
bik

[www.homedepot.com]

Thanks!

Unfortunately it looks like they're no longer sold by home depot. I was going crazy looking for them on the home depot website. It doesn't show them although they come up quickly if you do a google search.

It appears that ordering directly from the company is your best bet. This is fine if you need to replace quite a number of them with the same item but I was hoping to try one and see how it goes. Also, I have a variety of wall board thicknesses.

I have leftovers. If you feel like it, you can PM me your address and I'll mail you one to try.

Also, there are other brands that seem to be available at Amazon.
[www.amazon.com]

And there are also different products, like these adjustable spacers just for the screws:
[www.homedepot.com]
Date: April 20, 2020 11:43AM
MrNoBody
???? I clicked on bik's link. Took me to the item page which shows 59 in-stock at store (Glasgow 19702).

It tells me that its unavailable both at my local store and within 100 miles. Nor can it be ordered.
Date: April 20, 2020 11:56AM
bik
mattkime
Sarcany
bik

[www.homedepot.com]

Thanks!

I have leftovers. If you feel like it, you can PM me your address and I'll mail you one to try.

Great offer, but... Usually, I visit my folks in NY and cover the honey-do list in June, July and September. It's all are on hold now. Mom's isolating with my aunt in Florida.

Date: April 20, 2020 11:56AM
bik
mattkime
Sarcany
bik

[www.homedepot.com]

Thanks!

Great offer, thanks, but... Usually, I visit my folks in NY and cover the honey-do list in June, July and September. It's all are on hold now. Mom's isolating with my aunt in Florida.

Posted by: deckeda
Date: April 20, 2020 12:38PM
This query for extension collars might need to be broadened to include places like Grainger, McMaster ... their sites don't look like they'd sell to end users but they will.

Don't ask me how to find anything there however.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: April 20, 2020 01:25PM
bobinmurphy
The simple solution I found at a commercial electrical supply store is a package of Cat-A-Pillars from L.H. Dottie Co. They're a foldable wiring device spacer & shim that you can tailor is the amount of shimming needed to securely mount the outlet in an existing box.

[www.usesi.com]

These are what I've been using for years. They work great b/c while some of my outlets are AOK, some are not. But the ones that are not, are not messed up the same way. So some need more spacers than others.

Date: April 20, 2020 07:58PM
This thread was SUPER helpful!

but nobody answered my boring question about electrical work boxes!

Posted by: deckeda
Date: April 20, 2020 08:46PM
mattkime
... Nowadays they're supposed to be installed flush with the wall.

When did this change and was it less than 30 years ago?

There's always a difference between old work and new work. New laws and regs apply to new work. If the original boxes are still OK you may leave them be.

And use the extenders.

It's the same with ancient wire. If the old wire is sound, you may use it. If insulation is flaking off, don't. You can even retain usage of knob-and-tube wiring so long as you don't use that method for something new.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 74
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020