advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Can't find Lysol/Clorox spray? Try BARBICIDE. (that blue barbershop liquid)
Posted by: d4
Date: April 24, 2020 05:56AM
Can't find Lysol/Clorox spray?
Try BARBICIDE. (that blue barbershop liquid) THINK DIFFERENT!

It's readily available in concentrate form on many sites. Mix 2oz (1/4cup) of BARBICIDE® in 32oz (4 cups) of water. Kills ringworm, HIV virus, staph, bacteria, and other pathogens. And a rust inhibitor. Bonus! LOL

Available on Amazon as of 7am this morning. Cheaper on other sites. But I know people like the familiarity of Amazon.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Can't find Lysol/Clorox spray? Try BARBICIDE. (that blue barbershop liquid)
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: April 24, 2020 06:08AM
Steramine Tablets $5.79/150 tablets
One Tablet makes a gallon of solution.
also available @ bezosville.

Non-corrosive & non-staining. FDA approved, doesn't need to be rinsed off.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2020 06:11AM by MrNoBody.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: April 24, 2020 06:51AM
MrNobody.

I can vouch for the stuff. Ordered some and it works well. Not something I want to use on my hands but great for hard surfaces, i.e. countertops, door handles, etc. I don't know if it works on soft surfaces and fabrics, though. Would love something that handles those kind of materials since some items I'd like to sanitize aren't necessarily machine washable.

Robert
Date: April 24, 2020 07:07AM
Does Steramine lose effectiveness if mixed with water (activated) and left in the spray bottle for a week of two? In other words, is it shelf stable after activating with water?

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 24, 2020 07:34AM
.....some might prefer to commit barbicide....than use smurf water.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: April 24, 2020 07:40AM
d4,

Good question. Household cleaner/sanitizers are shelf-stable. I hope the industrial stuff is stable, too. It wouldn't make sense to brew a gallon of Steramine formula and not be able to use over a span of time. Even a restaurant isn't necessarily going to use a gallon of it in one sitting. Same goes for the Glissen Nu-Foamicide.

MrN, do you know if Steramine (or Nu-Foamicide) are shelf-stable?

Robert
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: April 24, 2020 07:45AM
Hah, reminds me of one of the "Real Men of Genius" beer commercials: "What's that jar of bluuuue stuff?"
Date: April 24, 2020 07:54AM
Robert M
d4,

Good question. Household cleaner/sanitizers are shelf-stable. I hope the industrial stuff is stable, too. It wouldn't make sense to brew a gallon of Steramine formula and not be able to use over a span of time. Even a restaurant isn't necessarily going to use a gallon of it in one sitting. Same goes for the Glissen Nu-Foamicide.

MrN, do you know if Steramine (or Nu-Foamicide) are shelf-stable?

Robert

Restaurants use this stuff for rinsing dishes and spraying kitchens and food prep equipment. They use sinkfuls of Steramine daily so it's not like it's sitting around much. For household use, a gallon (1 tablet) of spray cleaner would last a household for, what, months(?). It's a different use. So I'm not sure if the manufacturer took month(s) long activated shelf stability into consideration as opposed to "regular" consumer household cleaning products.

I'm guessing Barbicide is shelf stable, because it sits on the barbershop counter for who knows how long. I have no experience in either of them.

Posted by: deckeda
Date: April 24, 2020 08:07AM
Hey does it come in just a liquid, or possibly a pill? I was told it would cure some random ailment I heard about.

Thanks!
Date: April 24, 2020 08:36AM
D4,

I'm using Steramine at my warehouse. It's stored in a 1 gallon container, from which I'm filling spray bottles. At my warehouse, 1 gallon will last about a week, maybe less, when used in conjunction with other sanitizing products. Will definitely last longer at my home.

One seller on amazon.com contacted the manufacturer and posted the following:

"I contacted the manufacturer (Edwards-Councilor Co., Inc) they said they are in the process of getting EPA approval but were recommending 800 ppm (4 tablets) against COVID-19. I did not ask about contact time, however their other virucide labeling on their liquid steramine product indicates 625 ppm with a 10 min contact time against other pathogens, so it’s probably at least 10 minutes. They also said in a closed spray bottle the diluted steramine is good until it is gone, however in a wash sink or bucket it should be changed daily."

I used two tablets per gallon and the concoction is being stored in a sealed container. As the manufacturer said, it'll be shelf-stable until I use it all. I'll drop another couple of tablets into the since Edwards-Councilor Co., Inc recommended it to the person who contacted them. It isn't like Steramine is expensive and each bottle I have of it has 150 tablets. So, using 4 tablets per gallon instead of just two isn't a problem.

I'm not going to do a ten minute contact time since the label on the tablet container says just one minute. Instructions for other Steramine products may not necessarily apply to the mixture created from the tablets. Seems like each sanitizing product has its own instructions for how long it must remain in contact with something to disinfect it.

Clorox based products require X amount of contact time. Lysol products require Y amount of contact time. Glissen Nu-Foamicide requires Z amount of a contact time. Stermaine has its own amount of minimum contact time.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2020 08:40AM by Robert M.
Date: April 24, 2020 09:00AM
Dang. To kill HIV virus it's 1 tablet per gallon. You're using 2 tablets a gallon. And from the manufacturer, for COVID-19 virus it's 4 tablets per gallon? That's one tough sunavbiatch.

I'll give it a shot.
My go to catch phrase nowadays is, "It's better than nothing!"

It looks like the regular price is $5 for a 150 tablets. (Sam's Club).
Amazon has it for over $15 a bottle. Bastiches!

Posted by: deckeda
Date: April 24, 2020 09:38AM
d4
That's one tough sunavbiatch.

It lives in the feces of the deceased, and can be found in sewers. And yet somehow, common household soap is it’s nemesis. Love soap. It’s my favorite thing these days.

[www.washingtonpost.com]

“ Researchers analyzed bacteria from some Delaware sewers and found more than 15,000 cases of the novel coronavirus, far exceeding confirmed cases found through testing in the area at the time, according to New Castle County.”

“ The virus has been found in the feces of people infected with it as well as in untreated wastewater, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says. According to New Castle, Delaware’s most populous county, samples were taken from a wastewater treatment plant in Wilmington in mid-April.”
Date: April 24, 2020 09:55AM
D4,

I bought it from webrestaurantstore.com for less than $5.00 per bottle. Out of stock at the moment. No surprise. Glad I got a couple of bottles when I had the opportunity.

Robert
Posted by: PeterB
Date: April 24, 2020 10:45AM
OK, because I was curious, I looked both of these up, in terms of active ingredients --

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but both are basically quats, chemically similar or identical to benzalkonium chloride, the active ingredient in some non-alcohol based hand sanitizers.

Therefore should be chemically stable in solid or liquid form for quite a long time, and in dilute form, should be fine to use on one's hands (so long as there aren't other ingredients that could be problematic).

I know there was concern here awhile back about whether or not benzalkonium in hand sanitizers is as effective as alcohol-based, and there was at least one publication saying that it wasn't; but another more recent publication has in its data points a comparison of alcohol and benzalkonium on surfaces, and it showed that they were about equally effective -- and possibly more than soapy water.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Date: April 24, 2020 11:21AM
PeterB,

You might enjoy reading these:

[www.sciencedirect.com]

[med.nyu.edu]

[www.sanitize.com]

Robert
Posted by: neophyte
Date: April 24, 2020 11:32AM
It's a complex interplay of lipid bilayer intercalating/disrupting ability versus persistence. Alcohol sanitizers (above 70% alcohol concentrations) will immediately disrupt the integrity of the viral (or bacterial) lipid bilayers and thus disrupt the presentation of lipid bilayer-imbedded proteins responsible for attachment to cells and subsequent infection (or in the case of bacteria - disrupt cellular integrity and internal structures and allow leakage of vital internal fluids and ions). Then the alcohol evaporates, and carries away the water in the bacteria or virus, thus dessicating them.

Quaternary ammonium compounds, like myristalkonium chloride in Barbacide, act the same way, but are at much lower concentration in the solvent (water), and thus take longer to build up to an effective level in the lipid bilayer. Hence the instruction to allow adequate time, without rinsing, to insure the full germicidal effect. As the solvent evaporates, the effective concentration rises, as does the germicidal activity.

In general, quaternary ammonium compounds are quite stable in water. For example, Lysol has a shelf life of about 2 years, although it has other ingredients that may protect it from contamination with microbes after it is opened. I think it is that contamination that reduces germicidal effectiveness over time, rather than chemical instability of the active ingredient.
Date: April 24, 2020 11:46AM
Neophyte,

That's why Steramine mixture in a sealed container (1 gallon jug/spray bottle/etc) will last a _very_ long time and why the same mixture left in an open sink must be replaced very quickly. I believe they said daily.

Robert
Date: April 24, 2020 12:07PM
neophyte
It's a complex interplay of lipid bilayer intercalating/disrupting ability versus persistence. Alcohol sanitizers (above 70% alcohol concentrations) will immediately disrupt the integrity of the viral (or bacterial) lipid bilayers and thus disrupt the presentation of lipid bilayer-imbedded proteins responsible for attachment to cells and subsequent infection (or in the case of bacteria - disrupt cellular integrity and internal structures and allow leakage of vital internal fluids and ions). Then the alcohol evaporates, and carries away the water in the bacteria or virus, thus dessicating them.

Quaternary ammonium compounds, like myristalkonium chloride in Barbacide, act the same way, but are at much lower concentration in the solvent (water), and thus take longer to build up to an effective level in the lipid bilayer. Hence the instruction to allow adequate time, without rinsing, to insure the full germicidal effect. As the solvent evaporates, the effective concentration rises, as does the germicidal activity.

In general, quaternary ammonium compounds are quite stable in water. For example, Lysol has a shelf life of about 2 years, although it has other ingredients that may protect it from contamination with microbes after it is opened. I think it is that contamination that reduces germicidal effectiveness over time, rather than chemical instability of the active ingredient.

So in a nutshell:
(If I'm reading this correctly)

Alcohol based consumer household cleaners like Lysol and Clorox are the best. The inclusion of alcohol along with the chemicals has an immediate effect.
Barbacide and Steramine do not contain alcohol so they are second best. And need to "soak" on the surface for a few minutes before wiping for it to have full effect.

The information is great if you have a choice of products. I haven't seen Lysol or Clorox on store shelves for over a month, so i don't really have a choice. Barbacide and Steramine is "better than nothing!"

Date: April 24, 2020 12:16PM
D4,

Not quite. The amount of time a disinfectant must remain on the surface to be effective varies greatly from product to product. Some require just a minute. Some require 4 minutes. Some require 10 minutes. You get the idea. You have to check the instructions for each product to determine how long it must remain on a surface to sanitize said surface. Solution made with Steramine 1G tablets requires just one minute then you must allow adequate draining and drying.

Robert
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 24, 2020 12:54PM
.....so this thread is advocating.....the killing or barbers [ barbicide].......?????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Acer
Date: April 24, 2020 01:20PM
Does it come in wild cherry?
Posted by: PeterB
Date: April 24, 2020 01:27PM
Robert M
PeterB,

You might enjoy reading these:

[www.sciencedirect.com]

[med.nyu.edu]

[www.sanitize.com]

Robert

Yep, most of that I already knew. I was a little surprised to learn that it can be such an allergen/sensitizer though ... good to know, as I have a couple of bottles of hand sanitizer with it as the active ingredient.

Here's the article to which I was referring (had already been posted on the other side): [www.medrxiv.org]

... seemingly, this is a relatively easily inactivated virus. The only surprise to me was its robustness under pH extremes.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2020 01:35PM by PeterB.
Posted by: stephen
Date: April 24, 2020 01:27PM
The Steramine idea is interesting: I really like Lysol Kitchen Pro cleaner and I can't find it anywhere. This might be good for countertops and such.
Date: April 24, 2020 02:09PM
Stephen,

I'm using it on hard surfaces of various types including countertops, door knobs, etc. The fact that it works so quickly is key.

Robert
Date: April 24, 2020 02:32PM
Bleh. Barbicide takes 10 minutes of surface contact for it to work.
Which makes sense seeing the barber combs and scissors completely submerged in the jar all day.

For some reason I have a half-gallon size Windex refill in the cabinet. Not sure where it came from. But it's my backup cleaner for now. (Not for use on granite or stainless steel.)

Paying $15 for 150 tablets of Steramine is not gonna break the bank for me. But it's the principle of paying a 3x gouge price. On Amazon no less.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2020 02:33PM by d4.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: April 24, 2020 03:27PM
Robert M
"I contacted the manufacturer (Edwards-Councilor Co., Inc) they said they are in the process of getting EPA approval but were recommending 800 ppm (4 tablets) against COVID-19. I did not ask about contact time, however their other virucide labeling on their liquid steramine product indicates 625 ppm with a 10 min contact time against other pathogens, so it’s probably at least 10 minutes. They also said in a closed spray bottle the diluted steramine is good until it is gone, however in a wash sink or bucket it should be changed daily."
Thanks for that info. Confirms what I remembered from my HACCP training thirty
plus years ago!

I have a spray bottle of Steramine, spray on counter tops. etc. let stand for 10-mins. then wipe with a paper towel.

fyi, many of the The Restaurant Stores are showing in-stock for pickup.
They will also ship it for a added fee.

The Restaurant Store "Policies"
The Restaurant Store ships the majority of its products via FedEx/UPS, however, for certain large and heavy items, a common carrier freight service is used. Common carrier items are noted in your shopping cart.

Shipping charges for common carrier and FedEx/UPS items are calculated by factoring in the weight, dimensions, and shipping distance. Our shipping calculator is linked live with FedEx/UPS so we charge their list rates to ship the items to your location.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2020 03:29PM by MrNoBody.
Posted by: neophyte
Date: April 24, 2020 05:40PM
d4
neophyte

So in a nutshell:
(If I'm reading this correctly)

Alcohol based consumer household cleaners like Lysol and Clorox are the best. The inclusion of alcohol along with the chemicals has an immediate effect.
Barbacide and Steramine do not contain alcohol so they are second best. And need to "soak" on the surface for a few minutes before wiping for it to have full effect.

The information is great if you have a choice of products. I haven't seen Lysol or Clorox on store shelves for over a month, so i don't really have a choice. Barbacide and Steramine is "better than nothing!"

Sorry, no. Firstly, as Robert M points out, the manufacturer provides the best guidance for their particular product. My statements about the efficacy of alcohol refer only to solutions having 70% or more alcohol (short chain: 2 or 3 carbons only, ie ethanol or propanol) . Neither Lysol nor Clorox have these alcohols. Lysol's main germicidal effect is due to its "quat" chlorides and long chain derivatized alcohols, each of which can disrupt lipid bilayer membranes but are present at only 10% or so in undiluted Lysol. Thus it takes a little time for these ingredients to partition out of the water and into the lipid bilayers at a level high enough to be germicidal. Clorox bleach is an oxidizing agent whose effect is time dependent as well, with higher concentrations requiring much less time to kill germs. But bleach is volatile and can cause body damage if you breathe its fumes, requires much rinsing to remove from your skin, and is generally all around a pain in the tuchus to use.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: April 25, 2020 12:16AM
You can get test strips for Steramine if you're concerned about shelf life when mixed.

[www.amazon.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 209
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020