advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Foreign Accent Comprehension Test
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: April 26, 2020 12:13PM
Level 1: This guy is speaking English. Can you understand him?

THE 5 WORST THINGS ABOUT BEING SCOTTISH- [www.youtube.com]

Level 2: Cruizah joins Batchy. Even I struggle to understand Cruizah.

Funny Amazon Product Reviews That Went TOO FAR!!- [www.youtube.com]

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

Stop and think about this: If you're able to shout the words "I CAN'T BREATHE!!!" at considerable volume, then you have just proven to anyone listening that you can indeed breathe.

"I don't see color, I just see ugly" - Joe Jitsukawa
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Foreign Accent Comprehension Test
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 26, 2020 12:22PM
.....do you understand.....the words.....coming out of my mouth.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: RE:up
Date: April 26, 2020 12:50PM
I want to buy a hamburger.
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: April 26, 2020 01:34PM
About 30 years ago I was at a trade show and introduced to the founder/CEO of a very influential Scottish hi-fi company. I said “Nice to meet you” and he jovially replied, “Mumple bliernflip snertuntiple” or something like that, as far as I could tell. Everyone around us laughed uproariously, but I had to say “Pardon?” He repeated his seeming gibberish, and the onlookers self-consciously laughed again. Sadly, I still couldn’t understand him, and rather than just chuckling, I idiotically said something like ”Sorry, I still didn’t catch that.” At that point the pained American importer for the company (who had talked me up as a smart cookie to his boss) explained, “He said, ‘Didn’t I trip over you coming out of a bar in Glasgow?’” I of course laughed, but by then the moment was loooooong gone, and the uncomfortableness in the air was suffocating.

Posted by: $tevie
Date: April 26, 2020 02:24PM
We have friends from the UK, one couple from England but the wife was originally from Scotland -- the other couple from Glasgow. We never knew what the heck the guy from Glasgow was saying. One day we sheepishly admitted to the English couple that we would smile and nod and just pray that he wasn't telling a sad story, to which the wife replied "It's because he's from Glasgow! I'm from Scotland and I can't understand him!"

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: April 26, 2020 02:30PM
American accent comprehension (NSFW for swearing). Aaron Earned An Iron Urn.
[www.youtube.com]

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: richorlin
Date: April 26, 2020 04:16PM
$tevie is correct. It's like Glasgow is another country. Even most Scots can't understand Glasgowians.
I'm surprised they understand each other....Maybe, if they opened their mouths when they speak...LOL

Surveys say it's the hardest Scottish accent to understand.

richorlin

[DrawingMyLife.com]

[www.dudeism.com]
Date: April 26, 2020 04:43PM
....great.....scott.....!!

Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: April 26, 2020 05:07PM
Kind of reminded me of Brad Pitt's character's voice in the movie, "Snatch":

[www.youtube.com]

[www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: RgrF
Date: April 26, 2020 05:07PM
richorlin
$tevie is correct. It's like Glasgow is another country. Even most Scots can't understand Glasgowians.
I'm surprised they understand each other....Maybe, if they opened their mouths when they speak...LOL

Surveys say it's the hardest Scottish accent to understand.

I watched Trainspotting and thought it was really good, sometime later I watched it with sub titles and knew it was more than great.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: April 26, 2020 05:22PM
RE:up
I want to buy a hamburger.

I want to send a 5-lb bag of Sugarfree Gummi Bears to (can't say or this thread gets moved to the dark side)

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: davester
Date: April 26, 2020 05:29PM
I grew up in England, but spent three years living in Scotland so I didn't have any difficulty understanding that. Worse than that, my mum grew up in a small coal mining village in Yorkshire, a ways south of the Scottish border. Since the village accent is extremely local and not sanitized like the mainstream one in the video I have a heck of a time understanding anything they say.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: April 26, 2020 07:00PM
Maybe I'm used to accents from my wife being Spanish, but that was easy to understand.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”

Posted by: blooz
Date: April 26, 2020 07:01PM
Not so hard, but then, I grew up with slovaks.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: April 26, 2020 08:15PM
I landed in Machester, England and was picked up by a van. When the van got to the gig, a man came up and grabbed my bags and said something in gibberish. I looked at my English host and said, "What did he say?" He said, " I couldn't understand a word he said."
Date: April 26, 2020 08:49PM
......Hear a Yorkshireman, or worse,
Hear a Cornishman converse,
I'd rather hear a choir singing flat.
Chickens cackling in a barn Just like this one!

Eliza Garn! Henry I ask you, sir, what sort of word is that?
It's "Aoooow" and "Garn" that keep her in her place.
Not her wretched clothes and dirty face.
Why can't the English teach their children how to speak?

This verbal class distinction by now should be antique.
If you spoke as she does, sir, Instead of the way you do,
Why, you might be selling flowers, too.
An Englishman's way of speaking absolutely classifies him

The moment he talks he makes some other
Englishman despise him.
One common language I'm afraid we'll never get.
Oh, why can't the English learn to set

A good example to people whose
English is painful to your ears?
The Scotch and the Irish leave you close to tears.
There even are places where English completely......

Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: April 26, 2020 09:29PM
Many, many years watching Brit TV, including at least one series about a country Scots police chief.

Batchy was a dawdle, but Cruiser I topped out at 50-75% comprehension. Good enough to get away with nodding and laughing fairly safely, maybe even throwing in an appropriate comment or two. I’d probably get busted eventually though. big grin smiley
Posted by: bruceko
Date: April 26, 2020 10:44PM
Linn?

Yoyodyne ArtWorks
About 30 years ago I was at a trade show and introduced to the founder/CEO of a very influential Scottish hi-fi company. I said “Nice to meet you” and he jovially replied, “Mumple bliernflip snertuntiple” or something like that, as far as I could tell. Everyone around us laughed uproariously, but I had to say “Pardon?” He repeated his seeming gibberish, and the onlookers self-consciously laughed again. Sadly, I still couldn’t understand him, and rather than just chuckling, I idiotically said something like ”Sorry, I still didn’t catch that.” At that point the pained American importer for the company (who had talked me up as a smart cookie to his boss) explained, “He said, ‘Didn’t I trip over you coming out of a bar in Glasgow?’” I of course laughed, but by then the moment was loooooong gone, and the uncomfortableness in the air was suffocating.
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: April 26, 2020 10:49PM
Yep, it was Ivor the Engine hisself.

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: April 26, 2020 11:57PM
The same happens with regional dialects everywhere. I had people near Rome tell me that they didn't understand Neapolitan at all. And I've had people ask me to translate into English from local Boston dialect.
Date: April 27, 2020 04:58AM
The minister who officiated at my wedding had a deep southern drawl. My wife had only been speaking English for a little over a year and had never encountered that dialect before. We didn't have a rehearsal, so was caught unaware by this accent.

So er get to the repeat after me part of the ceremony and he goes:
"Ise, Lidies, take ya Ron to bis may usband, ti ave an told for its da forward, per bet r to wurs, per rich, per pour, sic tan healthy, te love and share til death doosus pert."

She stood there looking at him for a few seconds and went "Que?"

He looked at her and went "Huh?"

She looked at me with utter confusion, he looked at me just as confused. - I told him to skip it and I just asked her if she wanted to marry me.. she said yes and 35 years later she still has issues with deep Southern drawl.

Posted by: Buck
Date: April 27, 2020 10:50AM
Well, nobody posted this old favorite:
[www.youtube.com]

Voice activated elevator.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: April 27, 2020 11:04AM
I started trying to watch a UK police/legal drama about three months ago and was very confused. It turned out to be Welsh. After doing some brief googling, it made me wonder if the Bretons could understand them.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 111
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020