advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Some questions about Apple Watch
Posted by: JoeM
Date: April 29, 2020 02:12PM
My wife’s Fitbit HR died recently and since she has an iPhone 11 I suggested she replace the Fitbit with an Apple Watch. She likes them but before I purchase I have a few questions I’m hoping you guys can help with.

I’m guessing that since she has the iPhone 11 she probably doesn’t need the cellular model. Are there any reasons why she might want cellular?

As far as size, she’s a small person so I imagine the 40mm might be better for her. Do any women here that have Apple watches prefer the 44mm model?

TIA

JoeM
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Some questions about Apple Watch
Posted by: Mactel
Date: April 29, 2020 02:21PM
If she hikes/jogs/runs out of the house and forgets her phone, etc, it might be worth it to get cellular but if she always has her iPhone on her, then she would probably do fine without the cellular on the watch.
Posted by: jdc
Date: April 29, 2020 02:37PM
Wife and daughter prefer the larger 44.

Phone model doesnt matter, AW works with my 6S.

Cellular option is just that, the option to have the watch act like a phone when not near the phone... if thats a common scenario... then think about it. both my wife and daughter would never be caught dead without their phone... so meh. Be advised cell phone providers want $10 more a month for an extra device.

You do NOT need to have the phone with you for the AW to calculate excercise stuff.

HOPE there are still deals from a couple of days ago -- $100 off -- both walmart and costco had them

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Michael
Date: April 29, 2020 02:44PM
I bought a 40mm for myself; I have seemingly normal sized wrists. I have several watches including 1 rather large one and I realized I didn't wear it much because it felt too big. I downloaded one of those "here's how big they are" pdf's of the watches and cut them out and stuck them on my wrist and contemplated them. I decided I liked the size of the 40mm and I don't regret it. One thing--the gen 4 and 5 40mm watches have a slightly bigger screen than did the 42mm on the first 3 gens.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: April 29, 2020 03:06PM
If someone wants to run unencumbered by the wight of a phone or lacks proper sized pockets for a phone, the watch cellular is nice to have. Also good if one were to drop or lose a phone.

A colleague was jogging and dropped her phone while jogging rendering it inoperable due to blacked out screen. She able to make calls using her watch until she bought a new phone the next day.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: Spiff
Date: April 29, 2020 03:20PM
If she is small, then the 40mm should be good enough. The 44 and 40 have the same pixel count, just larger screen size in the 44mm (or so I was told - have not verified this). I am 5-6 and weigh about 170lbs. The 40mm is just the right size for me.
Date: April 29, 2020 03:21PM
Im assuming you mean "run and make phone calls" -- correct?

You dont need a phone to run with, just like a fitbit.

Posted by: graylocks
Date: April 29, 2020 03:32PM
jdc
Phone model doesn't matter, AW works with my 6S.

model does matter. current AW OS does not work with the IP6 or older. there's speculation that the next watch OS will drop support for the 6S.

I have the cellular model but after 6 months or so I turned it off. I realized I always had my phone with me so the $10 plus taxes and fees a month were not worth it. It was nice at a conference to be out without my phone but I found not having the phone nearby really does a number on the watch battery life.

I preferred the 40mm size. not a fan of big watches.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: April 29, 2020 04:14PM
graylocks
model does matter. current AW OS does not work with the IP6 or older. there's speculation that the next watch OS will drop support for the 6S.

Im "ass"uming no one here still uses an iP6. =)

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 29, 2020 04:20PM
A cellular Watch will make and receive phone calls, texts, and some notifications, without the 'Phone being anywhere close.

One can still share their location if desired.

If hiking and a fall occurred, notification of EMS and friends or family can be automatic.

That's pretty much the purpose of the cell radio.

Some limitations of storage, but basically your 'Phone in a Watch.

Be advised cell phone providers want $10 more a month for an extra device.

Some want as much as $15/month.

There is much talk (and that's all it is, as far as I've seen) that because of the cellphone radio, Federal law requires it be capable of making a 9-1-1 call without activating any plan.

I say talk because I've only seen one post out of maybe 75 where someone has claimed to have done it and it worked. All the other posts were people who failed to answer the question and just provided the typical 'Federal law requires...' and supposition. No actual use cases (except the one).

So, if Federal law applies to the Watch, one should be able to make a 9-1-1 call without a plan.

Without knowing that I'll pass on the radio. Knowing that it's true, I'd get the option.

This is why, if I don't buy the latest and greatest, I try to go no earlier than one generation back.

Sometimes even that bites me.

But futureproofing is a consideration.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: April 29, 2020 05:12PM
RAMd®d
A cellular Watch will make and receive phone calls, texts, and some notifications, without the 'Phone being anywhere close.

One can still share their location if desired.

If hiking and a fall occurred, notification of EMS and friends or family can be automatic.

That's pretty much the purpose of the cell radio.

Some limitations of storage, but basically your 'Phone in a Watch.

Be advised cell phone providers want $10 more a month for an extra device.

Some want as much as $15/month.

And AT&T adds another $10/month in fees on top of the device-charge.

But you can get the cellular version and hold off on activating its cellular service indefinitely so that you have it when you want/need it without having to upgrade.

And yeah, allegedly, a cellular watch without a cellular plan will still be able to call 911 services when you're away from your phone, tho there are some quirks.
[bgr.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2020 05:16PM by Sarcany.
Date: April 29, 2020 07:13PM
Thanks everyone, she’s mostly interested in being able to get txt messages if her phone is not right next to her in the house or office, maybe when her phone is in her bag but she wouldn’t be out without her phone and she doesn’t jog outside. She’s interested in the heart monitoring functions and speed walks inside on our treadmill so she’s interested in some of the exercise/ health uses.

So I think the GPS model will be fine and the 40 mm will be ok for her.

JoeM
Date: April 29, 2020 07:27PM
Sounds perfect... you should have her try them on if you can. the slightly bigger screen might be worth it for texts.

Target should have them out, but no idea on how they are treating trying them on.

Looks like costco still has them for $100 off -- $299 for 40 MM -- maybe out of stock?

Date: April 29, 2020 07:53PM
jdc
Sounds perfect... you should have her try them on if you can. the slightly bigger screen might be worth it for texts.

text size was a concern for my 66 year old eyes when i bought my 40mm last year but it’s actually been fine. i did bump up the text size just a hair in settings.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: April 29, 2020 09:10PM
jdc

Target should have them out, but no idea on how they are treating trying them on.

Looks like costco still has them for $100 off -- $299 for 40 MM -- maybe out of stock?

Given how we are with the virus where we are trying it on isn’t something we’d be doing right now so we’ll order online. Yes Costco is backordered till June. We don’t have a Costco membership anymore as we really didn’t buy much there, so it’s a moot point.

JoeM
Date: April 29, 2020 09:11PM
graylocks
jdc

text size was a concern for my 66 year old eyes when i bought my 40mm last year but it’s actually been fine. i did bump up the text size just a hair in settings.

Thanks graylocks, that’s good to know. My wife thinks she’ll be fine with the 40mm too.

JoeM
Date: April 29, 2020 09:36PM
JoeM
jdc

Given how we are with the virus where we are trying it on isn’t something we’d be doing right now so we’ll order online. Yes Costco is backordered till June. We don’t have a Costco membership anymore as we really didn’t buy much there, so it’s a moot point.

Target had it for $349.99, $50 off. Not as good as Costco’s price but they have it in stock and we have one 5 minutes away so that will work.

Thanks everyone for the help!

JoeM
Date: April 29, 2020 10:25PM
JoeM
JoeM
jdc

Target had it for $349.99, $50 off. Not as good as Costco’s price but they have it in stock and we have one 5 minutes away so that will work.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Target red card for another 5% =)

Posted by: pqrst
Date: April 30, 2020 12:29AM
Got a Apple Watch 5 cellular. The emergency calling features of the gen 5 cellular model work regardless of whether you gave a IPhone fell
Plan. I have cricket and my watch can not be includdd under that plan.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 30, 2020 05:32AM
The emergency calling features of the gen 5 cellular model work regardless of whether you gave a IPhone fell
Plan.

How do you know this? Have you tested it?

This is exactly the type of response I was complaining about.

An unsubstantiated claim with no offering documentation or personal experience.

I've seen a hundred of them.

With the one exception of someone who claimed to have tried it, the rest have bupkis.

And AT&T adds another $10/month in fees on top of the device-charge.

FFS, that's unconscionable.

And yeah, allegedly, a cellular watch without a cellular plan will still be able to call 911 services when you're away from your phone, tho there are some quirks.
[bgr.com]

That was the 'first hand' account I was talking about.

The one and only account of somebody saying I did this.

No other similar or trusted reports saying it is possible.

Just one anecdote.

One would think that with the millions of Watches with celular in the field, there'd be at several reports of the same thing.

I'll give it a try when I get one.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: April 30, 2020 08:56AM
when i did have cellular active for my watch the ATT fees added to the $10 were about $5. i think fees vary by region.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 83
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020