Posted by: vicrock
Date: May 09, 2020 09:29AM
Dead at 87
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: RIP Little Richard
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 09, 2020 09:39AM
Oh No!

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 09, 2020 09:49AM
Good Golly

A true loss.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: May 09, 2020 10:08AM
American originals never have, and never will, come more original.

Posted by: PizzaGod
Date: May 09, 2020 10:15AM
@#$%& bob alu bob a @#$%& bam boom!

Apparently the anti-obscenity software sees the original text as an ethnic slur....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2020 10:16AM by PizzaGod.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: May 09, 2020 11:06AM
RIP to a true music pioneer and innovator.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 09, 2020 11:09AM
Little Richard was rock, and therefore music, and therefore love, in one of its purest forms.

PizzaGod
@#$%& bob alu bob a @#$%& bam boom!

Apparently the anti-obscenity software sees the original text as an ethnic slur....

Hey don't ask anyone to moderate around here, We Can't Have That Brazen Subjectivity.

Even more disappointing is that even today, a Google search for the lyrics to Tutti Frutti brings up the first result as being by Pat "I wore black leather as a senior citizen!" Boone. The irony meter, long since blown up, nevertheless twitched a little bit today.

In this movie clip from '73, Richard talks about how he used the more popular (at the time) Boone recording to boost his own career so that people could hear "the real thing." [www.youtube.com]
Posted by: lost in space
Date: May 09, 2020 11:19AM
Damn! What a loss! He was a god to seven-year-old me.

Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: May 09, 2020 12:16PM
Posted by: blooz
Date: May 09, 2020 01:56PM
Aw man, he was so big when I was a teenager. God bless 'im.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: vision63
Date: May 09, 2020 02:18PM
One of his "then" worst reviewed albums is my favorite (reviewers just didn't get it). 1971's "The King of Rock and Roll."

The first two songs really show who he was.

King of Rock and Roll
[youtu.be]

Joy to the World
[youtu.be]

I'll never forget the time. (1991) I sat at a bus stop on the corner of Sunset and Poinsettia and Little Richard's Limo stopped in front of us. His window rolled down and he stuck his upper body up out of the window and yelled at us "I LOVE YOU!" All of us at the bus stop were thrilled and yelled "WE LOVE YOU!" back to him. He waved and rolled on out. That was a great moment.

RIP Little Richard. The Architect, The Emancipator, and the King of Rock and Roll.

Posted by: hal
Date: May 09, 2020 02:42PM
I learned of this in a weird way. I started my day reading my twitter feed (from older to new) and came across an article on Little Richard that I thought was an Obit. But it wasn't it was a piece about LR as an old man living in a penthouse in Nashville. Phew... I thought... not an obit, just an article telling what he's up to these days.

it's LONG and I read parts here and there, but when I was done and scrolled back to the top, I see that it was written in 2015. A minute later, I saw the news.

This is a great piece especially for real fans. [www.oxfordamerican.org]
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 09, 2020 03:22PM

the guy on top is Brian Auger worked with Rod Stewart, Tony Williams, Jimi Hendrix, John McLaughlin, Sonny Boy Williamson, Eric Burdon.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: May 09, 2020 04:39PM
Elvis was The King of Rock 'n' Roll, but Little Richard far exceeded him in intensity.

A friend in high school named Jimmy had the original Little Richard album. He'd bring it over to our house and I'd play it on my father's hi-fi system with its 12" Stephens speaker. My parents were both working, so not home.

A friend in my freshman college dorm had the same album. He'd put a speaker up to the window and turn up the volume for the whole world to hear. Little Richard was meant to be played loud.

I still can't hear the name 'Lucille' without singing a line from this:

[www.youtube.com]

"Get back where you belong!"

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2020 04:40PM by mrlynn.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: May 09, 2020 05:05PM
He will live as long as Rock N Roll lives.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: vision63
Date: May 09, 2020 05:34PM
mrlynn
Elvis was The King of Rock 'n' Roll, but Little Richard far exceeded him in intensity.

A friend in high school named Jimmy had the original Little Richard album. He'd bring it over to our house and I'd play it on my father's hi-fi system with its 12" Stephens speaker. My parents were both working, so not home.

A friend in my freshman college dorm had the same album. He'd put a speaker up to the window and turn up the volume for the whole world to hear. Little Richard was meant to be played loud.

I still can't hear the name 'Lucille' without singing a line from this:

[www.youtube.com]

"Get back where you belong!"

/Mr Lynn

College daze Hopefully hasn't changed.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: May 09, 2020 05:59PM
R.I.P.

What a magnificent soul! When I was a kid, EVERYONE knew who Little Richard was.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: May 09, 2020 08:40PM
The Girl Can’t Help It 1956

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]
Posted by: JoeM
Date: May 10, 2020 02:34PM
He certainly was one of the originators of Rock. What a talent! RIP

JoeM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 210
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020