Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Time to replace Mom's iPhone
Posted by: stephen
Date: May 12, 2020 06:44AM
I think she's in a 6s?

Is the new SE the thing to do? Anything even cheaper to consider? Smallest storage is fine.

She texts, does Facebook and Words With Friends, and calls.

Battery life is suffering now and important in her new phone.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Time to replace Mom's iPhone
Posted by: MartyStickle
Date: May 12, 2020 06:56AM
Wife loves her new se 2020.

Asheville, NC Area
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: May 12, 2020 07:36AM
The new SE has her number written all over it!

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: davester
Date: May 12, 2020 08:42AM
SE or if you want to save $ have the battery replaced in the 6s. She probably won't be able to tell the difference between the two.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: May 12, 2020 09:16AM
Can the new SE handle the special "effects" in FaceTime or virtual backgrounds in Zoom?

My mom is always disappointed if I use those features and her 6 cannot handle that. Ditto for Mrs Markintosh and her 7 plus...

As we move into this new virtual world for the future, you need all of the toys.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 12, 2020 10:52AM
Definitely the SE IFF it's big enough for her vision. My mid 80's mom likes her iPhone 6s. My older eyes and I are thinking about swopping mine for an SE. It's got a fast processor.
Posted by: jonny
Date: May 12, 2020 11:23AM
davester
SE or if you want to save $ have the battery replaced in the 6s. She probably won't be able to tell the difference between the two.
agree smiley
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 12, 2020 11:41AM
jonny
probably won't be able to tell the difference between the two.
agree smiley

Unless her current phone is white =)

cbelt3
Definitely the SE IFF it's big enough for her vision. My mid 80's mom likes her iPhone 6s. My older eyes and I are thinking about swopping mine for an SE. It's got a fast processor.

Just so theres no mistake... the screen on a 6S is identical to an SE 2020

But yea, its got the brains of an 11/Pro, so technically the fastest processor you can buy.

I would be like buying a mini and it had the guts of a macpro inside. =)

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: ArtP
Date: May 12, 2020 02:28PM
Been using the 2020 SE for a few days now. I really like it other than a few setting glitches I have to work through.

Woke up this AM and all my contacts were gone (after adding a new contact yesterday). A restart brought them back.

Now, I guess it is syncing my iCloud mail to iCloud which is blowing out my 5GB of FREE storage. My old iPhone downloaded mail to this computer or stored on phone - it is backing up my mail to iCloud and can't figure out how to turn off cloud back up.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 12, 2020 02:34PM
....it would be nice if one could hire someone to hold and dial/answer the phone.....like a phone butler......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: May 12, 2020 03:09PM
ArtP
Now, I guess it is syncing my iCloud mail to iCloud which is blowing out my 5GB of FREE storage. My old iPhone downloaded mail to this computer or stored on phone - it is backing up my mail to iCloud and can't figure out how to turn off cloud back up.

IMHO, you should just pay the 99¢ for 50 GB, so you have a backup...

----

Posted by: ArtP
Date: May 12, 2020 04:09PM
jdc
ArtP

IMHO, you should just pay the 99¢ for 50 GB, so you have a backup...

I have about 10+ different email addresses for a couple of domain/websites not counting the icloud addy The icloud/.me/.mac address is kinda like a catch all, from friends from my old AOL days to restaurant, shopping, and other BS sites and for quick sign up - plus some of the other email addys forward "important" mail to that icloud address so I don't miss it.

Can't see spending .99¢ or $12 per year for Dominos to tell me they have a 2 for $5.99 special or the WOOT deal of the day from last November - much is not worth saving and i have a bad habit of not deleting mail

Although .99¢ per month for 50Gb ain't bad. Mail is only 2.3GB on the cloud and Messaging is 1.9Gb - just need to figure how to trim and/or turn off sending to iCloud

Reading/Saving on my desktop iMac, iPad, or iPhone is perfered vs having a backup on the Cloud
Date: May 12, 2020 06:07PM
ArtP
Reading/Saving on my desktop iMac, iPad, or iPhone is perfered vs having a backup on the Cloud

hundreds of millions of iPhone owners who dont own a mac, let alone any PC, might disagree. =)

great thing about cloud backup... turn on... forget about it forever.

You *never* have to plug your phone into a computer for the rest of forever if you dont want to.

We have 4 iphones, 3 ipads and one touch... none have ever been connected to a mac. But if any were ever lost, broken or stolen they could be restored to a new device in minutes via the cloud. =)

----

Posted by: datbeme
Date: May 12, 2020 08:32PM
jdc
ArtP

hundreds of millions of iPhone owners who dont own a mac, let alone any PC, might disagree. =)

great thing about cloud backup... turn on... forget about it forever.

You *never* have to plug your phone into a computer for the rest of forever if you dont want to.

We have 4 iphones, 3 ipads and one touch... none have ever been connected to a mac. But if any were ever lost, broken or stolen they could be restored to a new device in minutes via the cloud. =)

This. With multiple devices in the family, iTunes backups were painful, sporadic, and spacehungry. Then sometimes, you'd get a new device and that backup was inexplicably useless. That's when I started paying $2.99 per month, and I never had to think about it again.
Date: May 12, 2020 09:16PM
And lets not talk about what version of OS X *might* work with what version of iTunes or which version of iOS.

33% chance of getting one wrong.

Or 2 factor authentication. ugh.

----

Posted by: Rolando
Date: May 13, 2020 04:58PM
Isn't $.99 worth the price just for a backup of photos? Unless you set up for Google's free "High Quality" photos.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 432
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020