advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Are you 57 years old? Well, you're old...
Posted by: DP
Date: May 12, 2020 06:48AM
All Downhill From Here? Survey Reveals The Age You Officially Become ‘Old’

Age is just a number, right? Well, according to a new survey of 2,000 Americans, once you reach a certain age it doesn’t matter how you feel on the inside, you’re old. It may sound a bit early to some, but an individual is officially elderly once they turn 57 years old.

The research, commissioned by LetsGetChecked, asked participants about a variety of age-related topics, including their top concerns about getting older. Unsurprisingly, declining health (39%) was the number one aging-related worry reported by respondents, followed by wrinkles (36%), weight gain (36%), gray hair (35%), and hair loss (34%).

Other worries cited included losing the ability to take care of oneself (34%), age spots (34%), being viewed as “old” (33%), financial problems (33%), and loss of independence (19%).

But this is scary to me:

Despite many saying they’re worried about their finances in old age, 45% admitted they aren’t actively saving for retirement. Among the other 55% who are saving for the future, the average participant saves about 19% of their monthly income. Even more fascinating, 34% of those who aren’t saving for old age said they just can’t bring themselves to imagine being old or look that far into the future.

[www.studyfinds.org]

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Are you 57 years old? Well, you're old...
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: May 12, 2020 06:55AM
Well I guess I turned old last year.

Grateful11
Posted by: Sam3
Date: May 12, 2020 07:15AM
I guess I became "old" a few years ago. Too bad I still can't get all of the "old" discounts and perks. Those tend to only start when one is 65.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Posted by: Rolando
Date: May 12, 2020 07:23AM
When I was young, I thought 50 was when you turned old. I was right!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 12, 2020 07:56AM
Looking at me these days, you'd say that 60 is the new 80.

"Fat, Old, and Stupid is no way to go through life, son."
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: May 12, 2020 08:09AM
Rolando

My 50 year old wife told me to say "@#!$ you!"
Perhaps I shouldn't have read your post to her.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 12, 2020 08:19AM
I may be old but I have a young wife*

*(and I'm wise enough to know that she will always be young despite whatever age she may be. To insinuate otherwise ensures that I will not grow any older)

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: May 12, 2020 08:22AM
DP
But this is scary to me:

Despite many saying they’re worried about their finances in old age, 45% admitted they aren’t actively saving for retirement. Among the other 55% who are saving for the future, the average participant saves about 19% of their monthly income. Even more fascinating, 34% of those who aren’t saving for old age said they just can’t bring themselves to imagine being old or look that far into the future.

[www.studyfinds.org]

This is somewhat balanced out by the fact that once they hit 57, most people have started thinking about those things constantly, trying to make the numbers work over and over, while sitting in traffic, during commercials, sitting on the can, weeping silently to themselves during during work conference calls...
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 12, 2020 08:25AM
....just fade.....away.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: davester
Date: May 12, 2020 08:55AM
You guys need to get this book: [www.youngernextyear.com]
It discusses how most of the worst problems associated with old age have nothing to do with the aging process but rather are self-inflicted lifestyle-based. Most people over 50 can reverse the declines and become healthier and more active and stay that way into their 80s and beyond. I have always had this philosophy but recently bought the book and have learned a few more things that will help keep me going this direction. Warning: Living this way requires exercise, healthy eating, and commitment.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: rz
Date: May 12, 2020 09:02AM
I'm not "old" yet according to that study, but I was blessed to have my father as a role model when it came to saving for retirement. He was able to retire in his late 50s... he actually wanted to retire sooner, but they wouldn't let him (long story that I won't get into here... suffice it to say, he was essentially the inventor of a process that made his company tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars). He encouraged me to start saving as much as I could as early as possible. I am eligible to retire in less than a year, and my intention is to retire at the end of next year.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: May 12, 2020 10:24AM
This song sums up my feelings very well. "Don't Let the Old Man In"
[www.youtube.com]

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: rgG
Date: May 12, 2020 10:47AM
You people are not helping my already poor attitude with posts like this.

nono smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: d4
Date: May 12, 2020 11:30AM
They are being generous.
AARP sign-up is age 50 and older like J-Lo.

Posted by: Paul F.
Date: May 12, 2020 01:11PM
So, I'm 50... and Old is 57...
But, what age is "go to Thailand and come home with a 24 year old wife"?
Is that 55, or 60? I lost track...

big grin smiley

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: May 12, 2020 01:45PM
.....Old......Maid......???

Posted by: ArtP
Date: May 12, 2020 02:20PM
Officially old this August I guess.....
Posted by: Rolando
Date: May 12, 2020 02:39PM
S. Pupp
Rolando

My 50 year old wife told me to say "@#!$ you!"
Perhaps I shouldn't have read your post to her.

Tell her don't worry about my opinion! Besides I find myself finding 50 year old woman plenty attractive nowadays!

When my kids came of age, I told them "Every hangover you get in your twenties is practice for EVERY MORNING in your forties"!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 12, 2020 03:02PM
Hey! Anybody that tells me that Pam is over 39... well... I just won't believe it. Unless it's Pam herself. tREO... tRAAAAAAAYOOOO.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: May 12, 2020 03:04PM
....do y'all have the dish......of butterscotch candy.......very old butterscotch candy.....??

Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: May 12, 2020 03:14PM
Date: May 12, 2020 03:17PM
.....who wears....granny.....panties.....??

Posted by: vision63
Date: May 12, 2020 03:19PM
Yeah, it's hell keeping up fitness.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: May 12, 2020 04:39PM
Uh, oh...., only into my second decade of officially being old according to that survey.
So what am I going to do....?

Find another survey, of course!
==
Posted by: blooz
Date: May 13, 2020 01:15AM
If you are 57 you are just within the dating range of someone who has a 47 year old daughter. A friend told me this. Ah, one who has a 47 year old daughter.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Date: May 13, 2020 09:53AM
......is this when guys start dating those 1/2 their age...........????

Posted by: Buzz
Date: May 13, 2020 12:47PM
blooz
If you are 57 you are just within the dating range of someone who has a 47 year old daughter. A friend told me this. Ah, one who has a 47 year old daughter.

Useless without (recent) pictures...., and phone numbers....
==
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 215
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020