advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I went to Home Depot today
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 17, 2020 08:56PM
Bought a new house and I need a 64 Gallon toter trash bin. That is essential in my opinion. it was $80 and delivery would have doubled that, plus I need it now.

So I went there at 1 PM. parking lot was full, I said screw it, went back to the new house to do more work. I went back to Home Depot in the evening at 7:30, they close at 8. not as bad, managed to get my item. I had to wait in a 6 person line, of course 6 feet apart.

But man, that crowd at 1 PM, people are insane.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I went to Home Depot today
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 17, 2020 08:58PM
They would have done free home delivery if you ordered online. I thin k the threshold is either $35 or $45.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: Bixby
Date: May 17, 2020 09:00PM
I only go at 6am when they open. No wait.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: May 17, 2020 09:03PM
What is up with all these people shopping? Why are they buying so much stuff? Good for the retailer? But then I heard retailers had substantially less sales during this Covid period?
Date: May 17, 2020 09:07PM
Racer X
They would have done free home delivery if you ordered online. I thin k the threshold is either $35 or $45.

I tried, but to be honest, I think I tried for a different color not sold in stores and I saw the $80 delivery charge and gave up, I should have tried for that black model.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 17, 2020 09:15PM
Were people wearing masks?

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 17, 2020 09:15PM
space-time
I should have tried for that black model.

......that's what she said......!!!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: May 17, 2020 09:21PM
mattkime

everyone I saw, yes.
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: May 17, 2020 09:37PM
Part of the line is due to them limiting how many people can be in the store at one time.Most retailers are doing that here. :-(
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 17, 2020 09:40PM
Bought a new house and I need a 64 Gallon toter trash bin. That is essential in my opinion. it was $80

New houses for $80 might explain the long lines.gears smiley
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 17, 2020 10:08PM
space-time
mattkime

everyone I saw, yes.

We made a trip to our nearby grocery store last night. It was not crowded, the staff wore masks but less than half the customers did. We were returning home after heading south last December. We stopped to visit family in Mexico City where we stayed for over a month. Everyone in the grocery store there was required to be masked. Our next stop was in Tampico where most everyone was masked in the grocery store. Same in south Texas. But not here in Minnesota.

On our drive from Mexico City to Tampico we were turned back by a citizens ‘militia’ trying to keep the virus out of their town. It resulted in a two hour detour thanks to a river that had few bridges and a very rough road to travel. Interesting that the militias in Mexico are keeping people out while here they are trying to open things up.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2020 10:09PM by Speedy.
Posted by: rgG
Date: May 17, 2020 10:15PM
Carnos Jax
What is up with all these people shopping? Why are they buying so much stuff?

And that, my friend, is why I took a LOA from my job at HD.
Before I left in March, it was like Black Friday every day. People everywhere. It was before they started limiting people or had any safety measures in place. People were getting stuff for their time at home for shelter in place. They had no regard for the people working there. I understand if your hot water heater breaks or you have a leak or something important, but paint samples are not an essential item, IMHO.
Home Depot was considered an essential retailer, at least here, so they have been open this whole time. Since few places were open, everyone came to HD and Lowe’s.
I am so fortunate to be able to take the time off, but I feel for my other co-workers who can’t.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: May 17, 2020 10:16PM
.....people are at home with nothing to do.......so they will go out to do anything......home improvement, shopping.........

Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: May 17, 2020 10:27PM
Wow rgG, thanks for that explanation!
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: May 17, 2020 10:43PM
My wife and I went to Walmart at 7pm Sunday. Apart from staff wearing masks, it was business as usual. There were very few people wearing masks. My wife and I, both of whom have seen plenty of people die in respiratory distress, were not very quiet with our comments about the poor judgement of the people around us.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: May 17, 2020 10:54PM
We had to do some Home Depot trips to repair our fence, then pressure wash and restain. Ultimately the best plan is to order online for curbside pick up the next day. Stay in the car and let them bring it out to you.

No more WalMart until things seriously change. It was okay until the rallies started inspiring people to choose freedom over health of others.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: jonny
Date: May 17, 2020 11:04PM
Was in Safeway this morning in SF. Everyone I saw was wearing a mask.
On the streets... I would say it’s 50/50.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2020 11:05PM by jonny.
Posted by: Acer
Date: May 17, 2020 11:25PM
The stores here have people, but it's not been particularly crowded. I do try to avoid peak times. Weekends at Home Depot would be one of the those peak times.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2020 11:25PM by Acer.
Posted by: GGD
Date: May 17, 2020 11:37PM
My last trip to Home Depot was in early April, there was a line at the entrance when I got there, stood in it for a while until I saw someone just walk straight into the store bypassing the line. After more investigation I discovered that I was standing in the line for returns, and there was no line to shop. Store wasn't very crowded, just needed one item, in and out quickly.
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 17, 2020 11:40PM
What cities?

Its kinda been biz as usual here in Sacramento even since the lockdown. No restrictions on what you can buy... Sure, plenty of limits on how many people in the store, and the stickers on the floors... but not much else.

Masks arent required by shoppers, but employees. They seem to be a mishmash of masks. Some fit, some dont, some leave their nose out. Its not organized.

However we have visited some other close counties. Masks arent required in one, required in the other.

One of the counties is pretty much on the way to opening fully -- this weekend started allowing outside dining and some interiors dining. We had to make one stop o pikcup an online order, and it was totally packed.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: May 18, 2020 01:08AM
Wife decided to order gardening stuff from HD and pay delivery fee. Would have been 3 RTs for us.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2020 01:09AM by anonymouse1.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: May 18, 2020 04:16AM
Bixby
I only go at 6am when they open. No wait.
agree!
Same goes for Walmart, except now they open @ 7AM.

And forget 'seniors early hours days'. The worst old fogey smiley

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Posted by: d4
Date: May 18, 2020 05:03AM
During spring time they should split the entry line to get into Home Depot between the "Regular" HD store and the Garden Center. Here in NY, nighttime temps are finally in the 50s. Everyone is looking to do lawncare and gardening.

I was out yesterday and drove by two local garden center nurseries. The parking lots were PACKED. I trust HD more to have a system in place to handle crowds and social distancing more than the local garden centers which have maybe 4 employees at any given time.

Posted by: Pam
Date: May 18, 2020 06:28AM
Another 6-7 am shopper here. Very few people. Most wore masks. Men are the worse offenders at not wearing masks.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 18, 2020 06:46AM
Markintosh
Ultimately the best plan is to order online for curbside pick up the next day.

Took my local home depot a week to pick a $4 box of ant traps. On one hand I sympathize, one the other hand - what the hell?

Posted by: bazookaman
Date: May 18, 2020 06:53AM
I usually went to HD first thing in the AM, BEFORE this shitshow. I thought about going this weekend as we are in need of some supplies. I've gone through all our stored materials. However, I also need a big toolbox. Which is a $79 delivery fee. But that's a flat fee. So then I thought I may as well order everything I need and have it ALL delivered, as I'm not sure the toolbox would fit in the wife's car anyway.

Edit: Huh. One of my favorite words is not censored.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2020 06:53AM by bazookaman.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: May 18, 2020 07:19AM
"Men are the worse offenders at not wearing masks."

we're a very vane lot. if my 5 day no shave beard isn't just right ......

I've needed to hit HD for some veg garden supplies, but I'm reluctant to go because of the possible long wait, though I have no idea.
TJs and CostCo have been pretty good the last couple times; 2 wk intervals.

I'm glad to have home delivery wine choices. I'd be howling at the moon .... without a reason.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Date: May 18, 2020 07:21AM
....have noticed as we begin to 'open back up' that people are taking less precautions.....acting like things are 'back to normal'.......less mask wearing......less social distancing...........much longer lines at supermarkets, etc......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2020 08:02AM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: May 18, 2020 07:29AM
NewtonMP2100
....have noticed as we begin to 'open back up' that people are taking less precautions.....acting like thing are 'back to normal'.......less mask wearing......less social distancing...........much longer lines at supermarkets, etc......

This is what scares me. Reopening does not mean the virus is gone.

Posted by: Randalls
Date: May 18, 2020 08:14AM
Stepped in to Kroger’s on Sunday at 9 a.m. and the help were masked but about 80 percent of the customers were not. Most folks in central Indiana still argue about their rights over safety for others on local chats. Some still believe the whole thing is a hoax. Pretty thick around here. OTH Kroger curbside pick up is great except for substitutions. Also appreciate Costco for requiring masks. Our crisis here is now waiting for Dr. Pepper in cans to reappear. Be safe everyone
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 18, 2020 09:16AM
I went to Menards (a regional HD equivalent) in St Paul and they would not let you in this store without a mask, which they would sell you (if you didn’t have one) for a buck just inside the door. These folks also count customers in and out, and if it’s busy, you’ve got to wait outside in line 6 feet apart until other folks come out.

Most people had their own mask. Just a few folks seemed put off by the requirement.
Posted by: Spiff
Date: May 18, 2020 09:43AM
Interesting to read about the various regions and countries - how the general population is or is not doing their part. Here in the Southeast, I'd say it's about 20% wearing masks and 80% not wearing masks. It makes me extremely irritated. Why the H E double tooth pick are the medical providers wearing masks, social distancing from families, risking their lives, when no one else is pitching in to help?

I know, I know, it's what they signed up for. Really, though. C'mon! It does not work unless everyone does their part.
Posted by: d4
Date: May 18, 2020 10:25AM
In two months the virus has killed over 15,000 people in NYC. Not the state of NY — the city. When you have first-hand experience with the virus and know of family, friends, coworkers and neighbors who have died from it, it completely changes your mindset about precaution and masks. It's no longer "2 or 3-degrees" of separation, as it was a month ago. It's down to "1-degree" of separation in NYC. Everybody I know in NYC has first-hand knowledge of someone with the virus. It's terrible.

I have friends (some with kids) who live in Queens and and some in Brooklyn, they are all scared out of their minds. Aside from one person in the household who has made a few trips to the grocery, many have literally not left their apartment in 2 months.

Posted by: mspace
Date: May 18, 2020 11:12AM
NYC here. I'd say 90% of people have masks on.

I don't mind the lines. They look worse because everyone is spread out, but they move quickly. Once you get in, the stores are not crowded, of course, and shopping is much easier.

It is a good thing this started up in the spring rather than the fall. Easier to wait in line in the nice weather, etc. At least figuring out how to deal with a lock down will be done, so if it ramps up again in the fall (heaven forbid), we'll already know what to expect.
Date: May 18, 2020 11:17AM
....in NYC last night....upper east side bar.......huge crowd of people were not wearing masks or social distancing......made the news.....same for place in San Fran (Marina district?)......

Posted by: Buzz
Date: May 18, 2020 11:31AM
NewtonMP2100
....in NYC last night....upper east side bar.......huge crowd of people were not wearing masks or social distancing......made the news.....same for place in San Fran (Marina district?)......

Darwinian Candidates all.
==
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: May 18, 2020 11:40AM
d4
When you have first-hand experience with the virus and know of family, friends, coworkers and neighbors who have died from it, it completely changes your mindset about precaution and masks. It's no longer "2 or 3-degrees" of separation, as it was a month ago. It's down to "1-degree" of separation in NYC. Everybody I know in NYC has first-hand knowledge of someone with the virus. It's terrible.

It depresses me terrible, but I fear that this is what will really get people to take social distancing, staying-at-home, wearing masks, etc. seriously. So few of us have had the experience of rapid-pandemic in living memory that - cognitively and emotionally - we aren't prepared to deal with this threat.

Many folks, especially those who feel less vulnerable, will continue to engage in risky behavior until it comes clear that their carelessness may cost a loved one their life or health. And that lesson may not arrive before someone close has succumbed... Sympathy_emoticon_by_ChaosAngel5

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 18, 2020 11:49AM
On the PC, Google maps will show you how relatively busy a local store is if you click on it's location pin. Click in the left side of the window and scroll down. It will also show when the typical slow times are.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Michael
Date: May 18, 2020 12:12PM
Filliam H. Muffman
On the PC, Google maps will show you how relatively busy a local store is if you click on it's location pin. Click in the left side of the window and scroll down. It will also show when the typical slow times are.

That's pretty cool.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: May 18, 2020 01:01PM
mspace

I don't mind the lines. They look worse because everyone is spread out, but they move quickly. Once you get in, the stores are not crowded, of course, and shopping is much easier.

Agree. Our usual sense of how long lines are and what that translates to in terms of time doesn't hold true any more.

EDIT - Increased intelligibility, hopefully.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2020 01:37PM by mikebw.
Date: May 18, 2020 01:02PM
....except line.....dancing.....??

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 18, 2020 02:21PM
Buzz
NewtonMP2100

Darwinian Candidates all.
==

This is exactly how and where the virus is going to reestablish a foothold.

It is what it is.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 18, 2020 02:29PM
freedom over health of others.

I'd like to see the media adopt that phrase when referring to various gatherings of in defiance or violation of the various SIP/SD orders.

we're a very vane lot.

More often than not we need direction from those wiser.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: DewGuy
Date: May 18, 2020 10:02PM
pdq
I went to Menards (a regional HD equivalent) in St Paul and they would not let you in this store without a mask, which they would sell you (if you didn’t have one) for a buck just inside the door. These folks also count customers in and out, and if it’s busy, you’ve got to wait outside in line 6 feet apart until other folks come out.

Most people had their own mask. Just a few folks seemed put off by the requirement.

Are the masks that Menards are selling to the incoming customers individually packaged? If not, doesn't the customer potentially risk contracting Covid-19 from the employes, etc. who have been "handling" the masks?
Posted by: Randalls
Date: May 19, 2020 12:10AM
Today the local chat site had a sizable group touting how they were enjoying today’s release from lockdown at restaurant’s and Kohl’s stores here in central Indiana. They felt bad for the help having to wear those awful awful masks while they did not have to. Lots of people are thick as a brick in this red state. They still don’t get it.
Told them to check back in 2 weeks, then they might get it
Posted by: Sam3
Date: May 19, 2020 07:26AM
Michigan has mask requirements for all people, workers as well as customers. Most are respecting that, though there are some who still are defying it. Then you have the yahoos who don't know how to wear a mask properly, they cover up the mouth, but leave the nose exposed.
Mask wearing by everybody in a closed environment should be mandated country-wide. Do it long enough, and it would become second nature, just like any other habit.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Posted by: Acer
Date: May 19, 2020 08:56AM
Everybody feels like an idiot when they first put the mask on, as did I. But, I got used to it.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: May 19, 2020 10:14AM
Sam3
Michigan has mask requirements for all people, workers as well as customers.

Hard to keep a mask on when you're a customer at a bar or restaurant, though....

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: May 19, 2020 10:21AM
.....like wearing a thong......uncomfortable at first......but get used to it.....and the bonus is no VPLs.......

Posted by: freeradical
Date: May 19, 2020 11:12AM
rjmacs
Sam3
Michigan has mask requirements for all people, workers as well as customers.

Hard to keep a mask on when you're a customer at a bar or restaurant, though....

Or the dental appointment I have today.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 95
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020