advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Glucose meter rant
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: May 20, 2020 11:27AM
My friend called me to ask what meter my mom uses because she has as pump and uses the best equipment. My friend said her readings were all over the map (I forgot which meter she has). I told her the industry allows a 20% variation from the actual number. So if you are actually at 200, your meter can read between 160 and 240. That is absolutely nuts. Then, the "experts" say to compare your meter with your doctor's. Well, my doctor's can vary 20%. OK, compare it to the lab. Think that through. What can you actually DO with those numbers?

So, I had quit testing myself since my readings were getting all over he place when I checked twice or more at the same time. My A1C has been 6.3, 6.1 and 6.2 over the last three years. I'm eating as well as I can, so I am coasting. Last week I decided to start keeping my readings again because my doctor said it might be a good idea. So, I got 4 different meters up and running to see which one I wanted to stick with. Well, the readings are absolutely useless: 162, 241, 192, 150, 220. What the hell do you do with that information? I could get the highest rated one and spend a fortune on strips. Will that help me improve over the low 6's on the A1C? My friend and I are both pretty tired of this.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Glucose meter rant
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 20, 2020 12:14PM
My Mom has diabetes and she checks her blood sugar daily. When I visit, or when she coves over, we also check our blood sugar with her tested. It seems very consistent with blood work results. I think mine is usually 90s when I do my annual checkup and her test kid showed similar results. My Mom run at 160or so, and if she checked twice, she gets similar results. she checked again later that day after eating something and number are different, and again if she checks twice, she gets similar results.

Bottom line is we have not seen that 20% variation. More like 5% I would say.
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 20, 2020 12:16PM
I found the model I usually buy for her:

AgaMatrix Presto Glucose Test Strips 100ct & 100 Lancets w/FREE Pro Meter

[www.adwdiabetes.com]
Posted by: testcase
Date: May 20, 2020 05:29PM
"162, 241, 192, 150, 220."

BINGO! cursing smiley
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 20, 2020 06:07PM
I calibrated mine against one at the hospital and up against the demo unit at the pharmacy. They were all within a point of each other. Accu-Check Aviva Connect.

...Of course, when I have a lab check, it's always about 10 points higher than any meter.

Here's a quick brand-ranking:
[diatribe.org]

Posted by: Robert M
Date: May 21, 2020 08:19AM
Sarcany,

The problem is that data is already three years old. Still useful but could prove obsolete since the FDA supposedly revised its rules for accuracy and such in 2019.

For my purposes, it came down to accuracy vs the cost of consumables. I went with a meter that was accurate enough and had cheap finger sticks as purchased via my health insurance provider.

My choice of meter might be different if I was pay for the consumables 100% out of pocket. Not sure which I'd go with at this point. The models out there have changed since I last purchased a glucose meter.

Robert
Posted by: fauch
Date: May 21, 2020 05:57PM
Not only that, many doctors use crappy BP machines too. Or use the wrong cuff. I have been told for years that i had high BP and then I switched doctors to one with a quality machine, not the one from the drug store and the LARGE cuff and it is right where it belongs. With medical equipment you often get what you pay for...

Those glucose meters are really only good to follow trends, not get an actual reading. I also find I get different results from different hands and even different fingers....
Posted by: qdog2
Date: May 21, 2020 06:28PM
I use ReliOn the Walmart brand meter. It was within 5 points of the lab my doctor use to do my A1C.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: May 21, 2020 08:10PM
fauch
Not only that, many doctors use crappy BP machines too. Or use the wrong cuff. I have been told for years that i had high BP and then I switched doctors to one with a quality machine, not the one from the drug store and the LARGE cuff and it is right where it belongs. With medical equipment you often get what you pay for...

Those glucose meters are really only good to follow trends, not get an actual reading. I also find I get different results from different hands and even different fingers....

Yeah, one doctor has my BP in the 120s and another has me in the 150s.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 266
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020