advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
RIP Christo
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 31, 2020 08:15PM
The artist known as Christo has passed away at 84. His work was known for wrapping iconic landmarks in fabric. His work included draping several islands in Miami in pink, and the Reichstag in Berlin.His current work to drape Paris' L'Arc de Triomphe will still be completed this coming fall.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: RIP Christo
Posted by: steve...
Date: May 31, 2020 08:41PM
I still regret not seeing his Running Fence north of San Francisco in 1976.

Photo by Wolfgang Volz

Sonoma Magazine

Northern California Coast
Posted by: blooz
Date: May 31, 2020 09:18PM
My kids saw "the Gates" in central park. It was at a time when i didn't have the time or resources to go there and I regret it. I admire someone who thinks on a grand scale and then achieves the vision. You may question what he finally did, but the process of getting it done is where the true lessons lie.
And it helps that the end result was so often beautiful.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 31, 2020 10:27PM
I have two patches of material from The Gates. They were giving them away. It was a very interesting project to walk through and view from distances and angles.
Posted by: Bo
Date: May 31, 2020 11:57PM
Sad news indeed

The running fence really intrigued me even as a six year old. We visited many sections many times as it meandered through the hills on the route from our little hippie shack in Mill Valley to my grandparents house in Sebastopol.
Posted by: robfilms
Date: June 01, 2020 07:04AM
i took the family several times to see "The Gates" in NYC's Central Park.

the juxtaposition of the saffron colored fabric against the white of that day's snow fall, was magnificent.

christo truly saw what others didn't.

that skill is an artist's gift.

may his family and friends take solace in his many good deeds.

rip

stay well.

rob
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: June 01, 2020 09:55AM
R.I.P.
Posted by: d4
Date: June 01, 2020 04:09PM
It was 15 years ago and I still remember The Gates project in Central Park, NYC. It was winter and COLD. I remember everyone there was smiling and taking pics and having a good time walking under and through the Gates along the many park paths. A time before selfies. Strangers were asking strangers to take their pics with their cameras. I was stopped at least 10 times to take pics for other people. A smile, a click, a few pleasantries and a wave goodbye. It was a really fun time. Thanks for the memories Christo.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 95
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020