advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
late to the party: iCloud Family sharing. any "gotchas"?
Posted by: clay
Date: June 01, 2020 10:15PM
At this point, thinking of setting up family sharing and inviting my wife to join, primarily so she can use a couple of iOS apps that I have bought.

We don't really use any significant other iCloud features--no paid storage, no photo sharing, no Apple TV subscription, no other subscriptions, etc. Don't really buy music or movies. Already have calendar sharing setup using Google calendars. It will be a good while before kids are needing devices, so that's not really in the near future.

Is there anything I'm going to regret by setting this up? Any "gotchas" that are going to be a pain in the ass to deal with?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: late to the party: iCloud Family sharing. any "gotchas"?
Posted by: sekker
Date: June 01, 2020 10:23PM
If you do not have 2FA set up, Apple will make you use it to establish family sharing.

Works well for my family, however.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: June 01, 2020 10:23PM
It works fine for the two of us...

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: clay
Date: June 01, 2020 10:26PM
sekker
If you do not have 2FA set up, Apple will make you use it to establish family sharing.

Works well for my family, however.

aha. that is going to be a change for both of us. I've actively avoided Apple's 2FA so far. This might be the hurdle that I have to go over to do this.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: June 01, 2020 11:41PM
I could never figure it out. It’s been a long time but I remember it being confusing. Kids get older and turn into adults. I decided it was best for them to have their own accounts separate. My wife and I share a store ID so she gets the same apps I do.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: Rolando
Date: June 01, 2020 11:47PM
I think all purchases get charged to the owner's credit card

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 02, 2020 06:08AM
The 2FA was the deal breaker for me, I just don't want it.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 02, 2020 07:42AM
Rolando
Yep. But you can turn that off now. Which allowed me to share the storage I buy, because backing up all our iOS devices to iCloud saves me countless hours of frustration when a device goes kablooey.
[support.apple.com]
Posted by: testcase
Date: June 02, 2020 10:23AM
You still need to supply your own K-Y Jelly......... smiley-shocked003
Posted by: Rolando
Date: June 02, 2020 01:05PM
cbelt3
Rolando
Yep. But you can turn that off now. Which allowed me to share the storage I buy, because backing up all our iOS devices to iCloud saves me countless hours of frustration when a device goes kablooey.
[support.apple.com]

I just re-reead that. Where do you turn it off?

"Any time a family member makes a new purchase, it's billed directly to the family organizer's account. That means the family organizer pays for any App Store and other digital purchases of the family members. This also includes content that family members can't share. For example, ongoing subscriptions—like Apple Music Individual or Student Subscriptions—are paid for by the family organizer too. Any transaction receipts are sent directly to the family organizer."

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 94
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020