advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Newb Network HD Questions
Posted by: prof
Date: June 19, 2020 09:09PM
I'm looking for a 4tb hd that I can use as a network drive to backup pictures from 4 different macs and 2 iphone 11s. I was considering a wifi drive but that would require disconnecting from my existing network to connect to the wifi drive which seems like a hassle. So I guess I'd need one that connects directly to my modem (w/built in WiFi)?? If I get a standard ext HD that connect to the modem and put all my photos on it, would all my devices be able to view them as though they were on the computers?? 2 of my computers use iPhoto and the others use the newer Photo app. Or would I have to use some other photo viewer app to be able to view them?? Any recommendations or suggestion greatly appreciated.

TIA,
prof
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Newb Network HD Questions
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: June 19, 2020 09:59PM
What is your process going to be for doing backup? How do you plan to move the pictures from the Macs and iPhones to the drive?
Date: June 19, 2020 10:18PM
anonymouse1
What is your process going to be for doing backup? How do you plan to move the pictures from the Macs and iPhones to the drive?

Good question, still something I've yet to figure out. I was thinking of dragging all the pics to the network drive that all the other devices could then view from. After that, manually dragging any new pics to the network drive. Bad idea??
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 19, 2020 10:24PM
Manually dragging files isnt a "backup". =)

*just* photos? or full device backups?

you said 4TB, is that just for photos? or that much to backup every device?

and this is for the future as well, correct?

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: June 19, 2020 11:13PM
jdc
Manually dragging files isnt a "backup". =)

*just* photos? or full device backups?

you said 4TB, is that just for photos? or that much to backup every device?

and this is for the future as well, correct?

I really just want the network drive to store all my pics because it's about 10 years worth of pics now and having much of it duplicated on multiple devices is wasteful.
4TB probably is a little large but there are some videos from phones in the library and I there will be room for future pics. I don't intend to backup every device to it. That could get messy fast.
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 20, 2020 02:09AM
Well... I would probably recommend icloud. You can turn on icloud photo library, which works across everything. (well, I dunno about iPhoto)

Go with the $10 a month 2 TB plan -- and get the bonus of having your iPhones full backed up too.

not sure if this is the best guide, but first one I found, I barely glanced at it, but looks like it covers the bases. [www.imore.com]

Really you just buy iCloud, turn on backup... and done...

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Tiki2000
Date: June 20, 2020 03:28PM
From experience, I would stay away from WD MyCloud....
Posted by: Rolando
Date: June 21, 2020 12:17AM
jdc
Well... I would probably recommend icloud. You can turn on icloud photo library, which works across everything. (well, I dunno about iPhoto)

Go with the $10 a month 2 TB plan -- and get the bonus of having your iPhones full backed up too.

not sure if this is the best guide, but first one I found, I barely glanced at it, but looks like it covers the bases. [www.imore.com]

Really you just buy iCloud, turn on backup... and done...

My whole fam is backing up to the 2TB plan.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 102
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020