advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Well, No Fireworks Show This Year In My Town. How About Your Area?
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: June 22, 2020 05:55PM
We live in a small town, one traffic light. Usually, we have a spectacular fireworks show, with all the firefighters/police/emts collecting cans and bottles in a big drive every year, plus big donations given for the cause.

We get crowds from surrounding towns since most of the shows are on different nights.

We watch from my small biz, about a quarter mile from the fairgrounds/airport. I can actually hear all the "oohs" and "ahhs" from the crowd when the big ones are set off.

I can beat the huge traffic jams and make it home before most get to their cars when the show ends. Next year should be twice as good, eh?

How about you? Will the show go on, or has it fizzled out?

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Well, No Fireworks Show This Year In My Town. How About Your Area?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 22, 2020 05:57PM
.....doesn't matter.....'cause.....

....'Cause baby you're a firework
Come on show 'em what your worth
Make 'em go "Oh, oh, oh!"
As you shoot across the sky-y-y......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2020 05:58PM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: June 22, 2020 05:58PM
The show must go on.

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2020 05:59PM by Sarcany.
Posted by: Acer
Date: June 22, 2020 06:02PM
No for July 4, but the local fireworks have been moved to be part of the annual fall event in September, at least for now. Pittsburgh has apparently cancelled it outright.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: June 22, 2020 06:02PM
Here in NYC, we have had idiots firing off mini-bombs and rockets for a week already.

But yes, I miss the ancient days when you could take some acid and watch the fireworks in Cornell's stadium in Ithaca. Watching an entire section completely losing it was a show in itself.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 22, 2020 06:38PM
I hope ours is cancelled because our area has two meat packing plants (essential for national defense) which are hotbeds of the virus.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: June 22, 2020 06:55PM
All Tahoe area fireworks are cancelled for this year, as are all other events that might draw a crowd.
Doesn't matter, as every weekend looks like a Fourth of July crowd this year.

Thinking about coming to Tahoe this summer for camping? There is not reservable campsite available in Tahoe this summer, other than a sporadic one night, one site available midweek in a few areas. Areas that are first come first served are seeing lines forming outside of the campgrounds each Friday morning at check in time.

The only fortunate thing is that we are pretty much doubling our grocery store capacity in the next week, when both a new Grocery Outlet and a new Raley's market will be opening. We've pretty much abandoned trying to grocery shop in our town since campgrounds and motels reopened.

Of course COVID cases have spiked like crazy...

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: DP
Date: June 22, 2020 08:35PM
Here in NYC, we have had idiots firing off mini-bombs and rockets for a week already.

Here in the metro Detroit area, it never stops... Seriously. And ever since a few years ago when it was made legal to sell fireworks in Michigan, and f*sking weapons, packaged as fireworks, can be bought. All the poor neighborhood dogs and cats are whining and crying and hiding in the basement, not to mention the wild critters.

You hear them going off literally every night! For nobody having any money during the pandemic, there sure seems enough to buy fireworks...

There have been attempts to modify the stupid law, but all that has been done is that my town allows fireworks the day before, the day of, and the day after a national holiday, and up to 11 PM. How do you think that's working out? Plus, there is a different town two blocks away, and a different jurisdiction.

Police dispatch: How can I help you?

Me: It's 1 AM and idiots are blowing off fireworks!

Police dispatch: What is their address?

Me: I don't know but it's just a couple blocks over from me. My address is 123 Main Street and if you follow the the pyrotechnics and the noise you'll see them easily!

Police dispatch: We can't send a car unless we an address.

Me: But, but!...You can't miss it, for God's sake!!!

Police dispatch: Have a good day.

So you are thinking what a curmudgeon I am. But when you are subject to what sounds like D-Day outside night after night after night, one gets a little fed up with it!

...more music...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 22, 2020 08:49PM
Cancelled. Good.
1- smoke and people coughing in crowds will spread the virus.
2- most cities are broke with unexpected costs and less tax moneys
Posted by: deckeda
Date: June 22, 2020 09:33PM
One main traffic light coming into town from the west-south-east, with another coming in from the north.

from last year:

"The White House Assisted Living facility and Knollwood Manor are inviting to the community to celebrate July 4 early, with food, music and ..."

Those places have suffered the deaths in our county due to covid-19. It's amazing we've had only 3 (well, published ... )

I suppose there will be an announcement next week of some sort.

The fireworks tents are already setup for sale in the Wally World parking lot and elsewhere. The neighbors are already scaring our dogs with them. Sometimes it's hard to discern if it's not just the normal shotgun blasts, not unreasonable considering the 5 sizable turkeys who have lately decided to wander through the back yard.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: June 22, 2020 09:49PM
cbelt3
Cancelled. Good.
1- smoke and people coughing in crowds will spread the virus.
2- most cities are broke with unexpected costs and less tax moneys

agree smiley
Except many cities were broke before the pandemic.
And I hate that lame politico reasoning "It brings tourists spending money yada yada". BS
How's about you pick-up the trash and fix the sh!tty streets first??

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2020 09:51PM by MrNoBody.
Posted by: Don C
Date: June 22, 2020 11:04PM
Thunder Over Louisville is the opening event of the Kentucky Derby Festival, usually in mid April with two two-barge launching platforms on the Ohio River and the 2nd Street bridge loaded up. It opens with a huge salvo, then 20 or 25 minutes of continuous action, any minute of which FAR exceeds the final salvo of my youth in Illinois. It is quite fun and folks come by the busload to be there. Any breeze typically blows from the north so sitting on the Indiana side of the river is clear of any smoke.

2020 - Postponed until Aug or Sep but now cancelled completely. That plus the cancellation of all KDF events means a huge loss of tourist income.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 23, 2020 05:27AM
Local city voted to hold it despite warnings - THEN three city council members had to quarantine after being exposed to the virus at that very meeting. Suddenly they devoted to postpone.

Guess things became real.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 23, 2020 09:06AM
.....after Mexican food.....there is some major fireworks......in the bathroom......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: LyleH
Date: June 23, 2020 04:08PM
The BIG fireworks show on the shore of the Columbia River at Vancouver, WA, just across the river from Portland, OR, has cancelled their 4th of July event this year. Others around Oregon have also cancelled some of the 4th fireworks shows/activities. Obviously, no surprise. LyleH
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 102
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020