advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
So, who here's using Apple Card? How's it working for you?
Posted by: Acer
Date: July 01, 2020 11:16PM
Giving it some thought. I avoid new cards unless I have a really strong reason. But, due for some hardware purchases soon and the 3% looks pretty attractive on those pricey Apple goodies. I used to use Discover 5% back at the Apple Store, but that deal seems to have ended.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2020 11:17PM by Acer.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: So, who here's using Apple Card? How's it working for you?
Posted by: Rolando
Date: July 01, 2020 11:49PM
I am having fun with it. I am paying my cell phone and internet bill with it and paying it off immediately. The 1% on that goes toward my AppleMusic, which also gets 3% off.

Funny thing, preCovid, the AppleCard would get me better service at restaurants and bars, so there's that. If I was single it would impress waitresses I suppose.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Diana
Date: July 02, 2020 12:20AM
I have it. 3% at Apple (online or store), 2% at the grocery and (some) restaurants, 1% everything else by using the card. The use of ApplePay at places that take it significantly speeds up checkout. And it’s mostly touchless so less possibility of getting something from the card reader. They also tell you the minimum you need to pay to avoid finance charges—haven’t taken advantage of that one yet.

The card is relatively heavy, and does look and feel like it’s made of metal. It even sounds like it if you drop the thing. There are NO numbers printed on it; since it’s on the phone in the wallet, no need for printed numbers. If something happens and I need a new number, I can do it through the iPhone in a matter of a few minutes.

In short, working great for me.

Diana
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: July 02, 2020 06:21AM
I was all set to get one until I saw that I would have to enable 2FA. My brief experience with it was so aggravating that I used the mercy period to get rid of it.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 02, 2020 07:40AM
.....got locked out and it work well to 'jimmy' open the door.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Robert M
Date: July 02, 2020 07:57AM
Acer,

There are better cash back bonus cards out there. The Fidelity Cash Back VISA 2% on everything. The Citibank Double-Cash card 1% on purchase, 1% upon payment. If you buy lots of groceries like my family, the American Express Blue Cash Preferred 6% on groceries, 3% on gas, 3% on transit services (trains, parking, tolls, etc), 6% on streaming services, 1% on everything else. Those are just personal cards. Business cards, if applicable, can provide similar cash back bonuses.

The overall amount of cash back you'll receive from using one or two of the better cash back cards in conjunction with each other on a regular basis will likely greatly outweigh what you'll get from one or two purchases from Apple on the Apple card.

Then there are cards that are offering other incentives such as a tremendous number of points that can be used for various purposes. And, nearly all of these cards can be used with Apple Pay.

That Apple's implementation of two-factor authentication is a friggin' pain in the butt is a third reason to avoid the Apple Card.

Robert
Posted by: MartyStickle
Date: July 02, 2020 08:18AM
Others have made good points here, but for me, the card has worked well. I NEVER carry the metal card It's somewhere on my desk. That only gives you 1% as others have mentioned. I get 3% for Apple purchases, including Apple Music, iCloud, etc. 2% on everything else. I use my Apple watch to pay for many things, especially now that contactless payments are so common. Finally they have the statements exportable as quicken format so I can download that directly into my Quicken.

Asheville, NC Area
Date: July 02, 2020 08:26AM
Marty,

You just reminded me of another reason to choose a different card. Online access to transaction data from within a finance app like Quicken, MoneyDance and Banktivity. With most credit cards, the program can connect to the financial provide, download the transactions for you into the correct account in your finances setup. No need to go to the site, export the data in Quicken (or other format, download it and afterwards, from within a finance app, import the data into the appropriate account.

The only card that doesn't allow my finance apps to access my transaction data is the Fidelity card and that's only because it's affiliated with Elan Financial Services. All of the other cards download nicely into MoneyDance directly. No export, download, import necessary. The fact that I have to go through all those extra steps is one of the reasons I don't use the Fidelity card much these days. It's a big nuisance.

Robert
Posted by: MartyStickle
Date: July 02, 2020 08:45AM
Robert,

You are right about the bother. But I have another card (the Sam's Club Sychonony Bank Card) that also doesn't allow direct download, so i'm used to doing the download import dance anyway. It's amazing how many companies today are simply not tech-modern.

Asheville, NC Area
Posted by: decay
Date: July 02, 2020 08:46AM
Any good cash-back Visa cards? Costco ONLY accepts Visa.

---
Posted by: graylocks
Date: July 02, 2020 08:52AM
when does 2FA come into play with apple card? i don’t recall being asked when i have used it.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 02, 2020 08:58AM
I haven't set one up since I have no plans for major Apple purchases in the near future, and even if I did, I would use my AmEx with the extended warranty.

But good to hear the Apple Card works well, I may set it up when I travel again.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: July 02, 2020 09:04AM
I actually forgot that there was an actual card. I just put it into the Apple Wallet and us it to pay for groceries and various bills online.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Date: July 02, 2020 09:05AM
sekker
I haven't set one up since I have no plans for major Apple purchases in the near future, and even if I did, I would use my AmEx with the extended warranty.

But good to hear the Apple Card works well, I may set it up when I travel again.

are you sure your Amex is still doing the extended warranty benefit? My Amex account dropped it as of January 1 as did a number of my other cards. i now do expensive electronic purchases with my Citibank Costco Visa which does have it though my Citibank Dividend account doesn’t.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2020 09:05AM by graylocks.
Me. Great.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 02, 2020 09:24AM
I love this card.

The only downside for me is that as a Master Card, Costco doesn't accept it.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: July 02, 2020 09:43AM
Decay,

Lots of very good cash back VISA cards.

The Fidelity Rewards VISA Signature is 2% cash back on every purchase.

[www.fidelity.com]

Alliant VISA Signature is 2.5% cash back

[www.alliantcreditunion.org]

Chase Freedom Unlimited VISA is 1.5% cash back.

[creditcards.chase.com]

Capital One Spark Business VISA is 2% cash back

[www.capitalone.com]

Lots of cash back VISA cards out there. It's just a matter of finding one that is most suitable for your purposes.

Robert
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: July 02, 2020 09:49AM
I'm using my card more each day. I got it when they first became available.

I'm still wary of using ApplePay on my iPhone and Apple watch, though. There's just not many places in my rural area that accepts them, so I don't have much experience using it.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Mactel
Date: July 02, 2020 09:52AM
Another nice thing about the Apple Card is that you can finance most Apple hardware purchases with 0% interest (and you get you 3% upfront). Before it was only just the iPhone where you would pay it off in 24 months with no interest. Now you can pay off Mac computers, iPads, HomePods, Pencils, all with 0% and the timeframes vary but usually 12 months. For some reason the Apple Watch isn't an item you can finance though.
Date: July 02, 2020 09:54AM
One thing that the Apple Card does is calculate the cash back and deposits it into the Apple money card present in the wallet, independent of the actual credit card. It happens within a few days and is immediately available to you. They text you when any monetary changes happen; recently I had to deal with a mis-charge on the credit card. As I had already received the cash back Goldman Sachs adjusted the amount immediately as there was cash on the debit card. All painless and transparent.

Edit: I have to wait on the Discover card, only seeing anything if I specifically look online for it. They keep it as a running total and I have to specifically state that I want to use the cash back (easier done for online purchases than for brick&mortar stores). I don’t know if it is once during the month, or if they deposit multiple times during the month, but they don’t make it easy to use.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2020 10:00AM by Diana.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: July 02, 2020 10:50AM
When you apply for one, 2FA is one of the requirements. Last time I looked, anyway.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Date: July 02, 2020 10:54AM
ka jowct
When you apply for one, 2FA is one of the requirements. Last time I looked, anyway.

probably. i don’t recall. using it when setting up the account makes security sense to me but the complaints about it here give me the sense that 2FA is employed on an ongoing basis when using AC and that’s not been my experience.

Posted by: A-Polly
Date: July 02, 2020 10:57AM
graylocks
when does 2FA come into play with apple card? i don’t recall being asked when i have used it.
Same here, not sure what the issue for others is. The Apple Card experience so far has been positive all around for me.

I got the card last summer, about 5 minutes after the offer showed up on my phone. The physical card arrived in the mail later. Although the metal card is very elegant-looking, I don't normally bother to carry it around. Apple Pay is so quick and easy — I'm glad it's accepted in more and more places. Plus, seeing the instant info (list of charges with running total, cash back report, payment due date, etc.) on the phone has been extremely convenient. And I love that I can get a new number right away, should I ever feel that my card has been compromised.
Posted by: jdc
Date: July 02, 2020 11:20AM
Rick-o
I'm still wary of using ApplePay on my iPhone and Apple watch, though. There's just not many places in my rural area that accepts them, so I don't have much experience using it.

You shouldnt, since its better than a physical card for security.

Its silly simple. Open wallet, add the card by taking a photo of it... and done. To use it in a store, 2 taps on the home button pulls up all your cards, choose the one u want to use, hold near reader... beep, done.

Almost every place we go takes it... corner store, ice cream place, supermarket -- except for home depot (the 6rd largest retailer), which I dont get.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: bfd
Date: July 02, 2020 02:30PM
Everybody who's anybody has the Apple Card …
Date: July 03, 2020 10:45AM
The phone does facial recognition, otherwise I have to input the security code to unlock the phone. Perhaps this os the “2FA” problem people are having. Otherwise, there has been no 2FA involved in using ApplePay.
Date: July 03, 2020 10:58AM
Diana,

Facial recognition wouldn't apply for phones that lack the feature, i.e. Iphone 6S.

Robert
Posted by: kj
Date: July 03, 2020 02:12PM
I've thought about getting it, but apple pay is so unreliable that I haven't done it. And my main credit card is a "tap to pay" which works like a charm, much better than applepay. So I probably will never bother now, except I really want a metal card!

So I thought the apple card would be more reliable than apple pay, but it sounds like it uses your phone? Is that correct?
Date: July 03, 2020 02:15PM
kj

So I thought the apple card would be more reliable than apple pay, but it sounds like it uses your phone? Is that correct?

to get the 2% cash back you have to use the Apple Pay app on the iphone or watch. when you use the physical card the cash back is 1%.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2020 02:15PM by graylocks.
Posted by: kj
Date: July 03, 2020 02:25PM
Ah. Thank you. Would the card be more likely to work than apple pay? It's embarrassing to have trouble paying, even at mcdonalds!
Date: July 03, 2020 05:17PM
Robert M
Diana,

Facial recognition wouldn't apply for phones that lack the feature, i.e. Iphone 6S.

Robert

Facial recognition is just a method to verify its actually you making the request. The point is that it isn’t 2FA you are dealing with per se, but rather the code used to unlock the phone. If you have it set to no code, then I cannot say anything as I just don’t know how that is handled.

Diana
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 129
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020