Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
July 3, 2001: Apple makes worst decision ever
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: July 05, 2020 12:06PM
[www.cultofmac.com]

July 3, 2001: Apple suspends production of its Power Mac G4 Cube, one of the most notable busts in Apple history — and the first major flop following Steve Jobs’ glorious return to the company.

Although Apple leaves the door open to possibly reintroducing the remarkably clear G4 Cube at a later date, this never happens. The stylish computer is superseded by Apple’s upgrade to G5 processors and then Intel Core-based Macs.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: July 3, 2001: Apple makes worst decision ever
Posted by: Acer
Date: July 05, 2020 12:16PM
Toasters, cheese graters, trashcans, packs of gum, cookie-sheet thinness...I think I'm detecting a certain fixation. Perhaps Johnny Ives suffered from low blood sugar and didn't realize it.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: July 05, 2020 12:43PM
square peg vs round hole...

What's next, the ARM pyramid??

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 05, 2020 12:54PM
Small computers have always been part of the ethos from the beginning. Once they took the monitor out and introduced the pizza box LC they were on a path to the mini. I always saw the Cube as the modern NeXTcube.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: July 05, 2020 01:07PM
The NEXT Cube was a bust, the Apple G4 cube was a bust, the trash can Mac Pro was a bust, I think the pattern is clear. Trying to sell a computer that can't be expanded as a Pro machine with a pro price tag doesn't work. It's cool looking but that's about it.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 05, 2020 01:11PM
but around the same time that they introduced the iMac iLamp, so it's kind of a wash, eh? (my personal best design choice for Apple.)
Posted by: jdc
Date: July 05, 2020 02:10PM
Acer
Toasters, cheese graters, trashcans, packs of gum, cookie-sheet thinness...I think I'm detecting a certain fixation. Perhaps Johnny Ives suffered from low blood sugar and didn't realize it.

You forgot toilet seat =). maybe IBS too?

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: July 05, 2020 02:31PM
I love my little Cube!

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: July 05, 2020 02:32PM
davemchine
The NEXT Cube was a bust, the Apple G4 cube was a bust, the trash can Mac Pro was a bust, I think the pattern is clear. Trying to sell a computer that can't be expanded as a Pro machine with a pro price tag doesn't work. It's cool looking but that's about it.

Not sure that the NEXT was a bust. The Internet was built off of it.

And the G4 Cube wasn't meant to be a pro Mac. It came with a basic processor and underpowered GPU.

But the trash can Mac Pro is a real dog. It's not just the lack of expansion -- or the form-factor which limited options for next-gen chips as Apple copped to when introducing plans for the new Mac Pro. It's got underpowered USB ports that drop devices; graphics cards that not only couldn't be upgraded but also had a habit of dying every few months, resulting in frequent "GPU restart" panics; and over time they're prone to overheating.

Not saying that I wouldn't take one if it were offered to me for free. It's just that I wouldn't expect much from it.

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 05, 2020 02:56PM
I love my Cube, too!

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: July 05, 2020 05:14PM
Sarcany
And the G4 Cube wasn't meant to be a pro Mac. It came with a basic processor and underpowered GPU.

True, but it was priced like a pro Mac.
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 05, 2020 06:59PM
The cube was form over function to me. I know plenty love the looks, but I still need the computer to compute.
Posted by: digby
Date: July 05, 2020 07:01PM
I loved my Cube!

Heard (right here on this forum) that someone had found an old demo Cube in a Big Box Store, so I called around and ended up talking to the manager of a store in Chicago 'burbs. He wouldn't tell me which processor it had or even if it worked: "I ain't gonna rummage around the back shelves. All I can tell ya is it's a Mac Cube, and it's full of promotional stickers. But if you've got more time than sense, and a big bottle of Goo-Gone, I'll sell it to ya cheap."

Drove 300 miles, bought it for spare change, and nursed it back to health. The kids loved to eject disks "like a toaster!" eventually I found the quirky speakers (that plugged into USB ports, not audio connections, AND the matching CRT that looked like something out of Space:1999.

Where is it now?

Well, one of my Sunday School kids grew up to be a whiz kid at Apple, so I gave him my setup... and it's in his office in the new Apple Spaceship now!
Date: July 05, 2020 07:53PM
sekker
The cube was form over function to me. I know plenty love the looks, but I still need the computer to compute.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Date: July 05, 2020 08:01PM
digby
I loved my Cube!

Heard (right here on this forum) that someone had found an old demo Cube in a Big Box Store, so I called around and ended up talking to the manager of a store in Chicago 'burbs. He wouldn't tell me which processor it had or even if it worked: "I ain't gonna rummage around the back shelves. All I can tell ya is it's a Mac Cube, and it's full of promotional stickers. But if you've got more time than sense, and a big bottle of Goo-Gone, I'll sell it to ya cheap."

Drove 300 miles, bought it for spare change, and nursed it back to health. The kids loved to eject disks "like a toaster!" eventually I found the quirky speakers (that plugged into USB ports, not audio connections, AND the matching CRT that looked like something out of Space:1999.

Where is it now?

Well, one of my Sunday School kids grew up to be a whiz kid at Apple, so I gave him my setup... and it's in his office in the new Apple Spaceship now!

That's a great story!

Posted by: PeterB
Date: July 05, 2020 08:51PM
digby
I loved my Cube!

Where is it now?

I may still have one of those monitors somewhere ... they were in the hoard I posted about in the FS&FI section.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: bfd
Date: July 05, 2020 09:46PM
Haven't fired ours up in quite awhile … still have the monitor around somewhere in the original box. A special Mac - especially in the heat dept!
Posted by: GGD
Date: July 05, 2020 10:33PM
I always considered the first generation Mac Mini G4 to be the successor to the cube. It was positioned and priced correctly too at $499. There is no Mac today at that price point.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 05, 2020 11:49PM
Still have a couple of Cubes and an original 23” ADC display. I imagine they’ll go to recycle eventually.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: July 05, 2020 11:59PM
GGD
I always considered the first generation Mac Mini G4 to be the successor to the cube. It was positioned and priced correctly too at $499. There is no Mac today at that price point.

Exactly. I purchased two Iomega external drives and stacked all three to build my own ‘cube’. Lasted me years as a great media center.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: July 06, 2020 07:22AM
GGD

Apple really needs to revisit that price point. If they can do that with phones, they can do that with computers.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Date: July 06, 2020 07:50AM
Sam3
GGD

Apple really needs to revisit that price point. If they can do that with phones, they can do that with computers.

And they COULD with ARM chips - put a current iPad Pro chip into a current AppleTV form factor, add some more RAM (8GB+), and they could sell a $299 Mac and make money.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: July 06, 2020 09:38AM
I think the G4 sunflower iMac was my favorite, not to be confused with the earlier iMac that had prints of sunflowers integrated into it.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: July 06, 2020 09:44AM
> Apple makes worst decision ever

[EDITED FOR LACK OF BRAINS] The Cube worked great for me for many years; went to a friend when it was time for me to move on, and he used it for a good number of years before upgrading to an Intel Mac.

(Actually, I wish Apple wasn't married to the 4-square lineup of products (pro, pro portable, consumer, consumer portable) (at least in their mind, because there's no real pro portable) and offered an actual line of Macs. Why can't there be more than one computer+monitor Mac? Why *just* whatever the current design iMac is?)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2020 03:37PM by Zoidberg.
Date: July 06, 2020 11:15AM
The iLamp!

ztirffritz
I think the G4 sunflower iMac was my favorite, not to be confused with the earlier iMac that had prints of sunflowers integrated into it.

rj
AKA
Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 06, 2020 11:39AM
AllGold
Sarcany

True, but it was priced like a pro Mac.

Worse, its initial pricing was for the "luxury" market once you added the matching peripherals. For comparable configurations the initial price of the base model was a couple hundred more than the PowerMac G4.

As for worst date, I would say the day they introduced at those price points was worse than when they decided to end production.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 06, 2020 12:15PM
Hey, pRICE, you better smile when you say that. Heartily disagree with your subject line;

I'm confused.

I take his subject line to mean that suspending production of the Cube was Apple's worst decision ever.

I'm inclined to agree.

Apple should have taken the development at least a couple of generations further.

It was far too expensive, more so than typical Apple cachét, hoping to sell it to executives, I seem to recall Steve saying.

Too bad it didn't work.

It has some cooling issues as well.

Even adding a fan didn't do much to cool the video card.

But all that could have been fixed.

I've got the 17" Studio Display (LCD) and the Apple Cinema HD.

I should Cube and 17" to run Marine Aquarium.

There's a 15" G4 iMac idling, that I should do something with.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: July 06, 2020 12:17PM
Doesn't the Twentieth Anniversary Macintosh deserve a little love in this thread?
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: July 06, 2020 03:36PM
RAMd®d * you're right, and my memory failed me; pRICE is a fan of the Cube. I got my intro date/kill dates confused.

And apologies to pRON. I mean; pRICE, eh? smiling smiley

Posted by: Grateful11
Date: July 06, 2020 04:57PM
I still have one in the basement that works and one for parts that I got really cheap.

Grateful11
Posted by: decay
Date: July 06, 2020 07:38PM
Before they're all e-cycled, I would love to have a Cube, even for a while. I would rip audio CDs with it if I had to give it a retirement job!

---
Date: July 07, 2020 03:51PM
Speedy
Still have a couple of Cubes and an original 23” ADC display. I imagine they’ll go to recycle eventually.

I got mine here! Thanks again, Speedy!!

rj
AKA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 64
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020