advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
FU to Crippled iPhone
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: July 07, 2020 10:21AM
I've tried for several days playing around with removing apps and disabling features. I tried to restore it, but it will no long connect to itunes as it is so crippled it times out before the sync starts. I tried noticed that GPS has gone completely. It is completely non-functional and has fallen back to using cell tower triangulation which is useless in a town with 2 cell towers high up on a ridge north/south of town.

Long story short, I'm pretty sure I have a hardware problem. I'm starting to look into new phones, but I'm so out of the loop, I'm not sure where to start anymore. I used to keep up with iPhones, but they left me in the dust somewhere around the iPhone 6. I currently have a 7, 128gb. I think that the SE is the next logical step for me. I don't need pro cameras, or all the other fancy stuff. What says the hive mind? Which phone would you go for currently?

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: FU to Crippled iPhone
Posted by: ADent
Date: July 07, 2020 10:44AM
iPhone 11 is a great phone. Latest entry to the regular iPhone experience.

iPhoneSE (2020) is a very good alternate if you don't need/want face ID and want to save a few bucks.

Both of these use the latest processor.

There are used phones and Apple refurbished models of last years phone too.
Date: July 07, 2020 10:45AM
I looked at refurbs. The iPhone X or XS are the only 128gb models available currently.

Posted by: jdc
Date: July 07, 2020 10:56AM
budget? can you subsidize? Do you need 128 GB? Like a bigger phone? can you do android?

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: July 07, 2020 10:59AM
I don't really have a budget, I can go as high or as low as I want, but I don't want to get more than I need, or less. Since the SE has the same new brains but fewer bells and whistles it seems like the natural winner.

Posted by: Sarcany
Date: July 07, 2020 11:23AM
ztirffritz
I tried to restore it, but it will no long connect to itunes as it is so crippled it times out before the sync starts.

Did you try a DFU restore?
[help.ifixit.com]

...Note that this erases the device.

...You should have iCloud or iTunes backups.

Posted by: d4
Date: July 07, 2020 11:23AM
There's a decent Apple iPhone 8 Plus 64GB Verizon Space Grey on the For Sale Forum for $365 shipped.

Posted by: Spiff
Date: July 07, 2020 11:42AM
I'd go with the SE. Latest brains with no frills packaging. Sounds like what you want. And, you won't get left in the dust for some time.
Date: July 07, 2020 12:07PM
ztirffritz
I don't really have a budget, I can go as high or as low as I want, but I don't want to get more than I need, or less. Since the SE has the same new brains but fewer bells and whistles it seems like the natural winner.

Although it might depend on your usage... I think the SE is a poor choice if you have a bigger budget.

11 has better everything -- including double the battery life.

Again, it might depend on your usage, but worth a look imho.

The first SE was unique in that it was a "small" phone, even if it was repurposed into a 5 case, its was about the size. And it got the full 6S inside. The 5 series was a good design.

The new SE literally seems like they just phoned it in. No new design, no new features, same meh screen, same meh battery, same meh camera. Its like they couldnt be bothered with it almost. The andriod space is killing it in the $400 price point. Big AMOLED screens, big batteries, face and touch open, headphone jack, triple cameras and on and on.

All moot if you dont want andriod or dont use the phone much... but still...

Posted by: graylocks
Date: July 07, 2020 12:46PM
i'm very happy with my Iphone 11. it's probably more phone than i really need. it does sound like the current SE would suit you well. if it had been around last year when i decided on the 11 i probably would have done that instead.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: GGD
Date: July 07, 2020 12:48PM
Sarcany
ztirffritz
I tried to restore it, but it will no long connect to itunes as it is so crippled it times out before the sync starts.

Did you try a DFU restore?
[help.ifixit.com]

...Note that this erases the device.

...You should have iCloud or iTunes backups.

An alternative if one has a good backup and is going to resort to wiping all of their data is to first try erasing their phone from Settings>General>Reset>Erase All Contents and Settings.

And then try setting it up as a new phone just to test to see if it's operating normally in it's fresh state. That will give some idea if it's a hardware issue before restoring a backup and adding personal data and apps that might make it a bit more difficult to decide if it's hardware or software.

If all is good, erase again and restore from the backup.
Posted by: carl
Date: July 07, 2020 12:51PM
My wife just got a new SE and she likes it. Sounds like it would do the job for you.
Date: July 07, 2020 01:01PM
I ordered an SE. I'll try wiping the old phone and doing a restore on it after I get the new one setup.

Posted by: Rolando
Date: July 08, 2020 12:12AM
jdc
The andriod space is killing it in the $400 price point. Big AMOLED screens, big batteries, face and touch open, headphone jack, triple cameras and on and on.

Check the Android blogs/youtube channels. "The Cheapest iPhone is more powerful than the most powerful Android!"

That means it will be updated and worth using longer.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: July 08, 2020 12:25AM
Rolando
Check the Android blogs/youtube channels. "The Cheapest iPhone is more powerful than the most powerful Android!"
That means it will be updated and worth using longer.

maybe it is more powerful... but the user experience isnt.

dozens of videos: [www.google.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 108
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020